U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 02:17 AM

8,440 posts, read 11,592,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc1641 View Post
Over the years, I've been taking Zoloft, 100 mg for my depression. It pulled me out of depression, but I feel like I can do better. I still feel joyless and lost my passion for things, while the years of my life are clicking by.

Has anyone ever taken a better antidepressant? Any ideas on how to get the passion back. Am I looking in the wrong place? What if this is as good as it gets?!!

Would love to hear from anyone.

Thank you!
The best one is the one or two that do what your brain needs. Different anti-depressants work in different ways.

It sounds like a check up with your psychiatrist is due. If someone other than a psychiatrist is prescribing your Zoloft, it's time to see a psychiatrist and get the combination of meds right for you. Other medical problems directly contribute to depressive symptoms. A psychiatrist will know what to screen you for when reviewing your history and all meds taken.

Good luck

MSR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 10:38 PM

151 posts, read 121,831 times
maoi's, nardil is probably the best.

SSRI's are a scam in my opinion.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:44 PM

10,138 posts, read 14,724,110 times
Exercise and meditation/deep breathing exercises work best for me

Old 10-08-2015, 11:13 AM

1,068 posts, read 966,498 times
I took Zoloft and then Paxil many years ago during a bout of menopause-related depression. It seemed to help, but also made me feel weirdly hyper. Fast forward about 10 years and I noticed again I was sleeping too much, felt a lack of motivation, couldn't concentrate, couldn't stay interested in activities that I formally enjoyed. Not seriously depressed, but it bothered me, especially since there was no particular reason for being so "down."

I really, really didn't want to go back to Zoloft or Paxil. It has always interested me that people, particularly those with mental illnesses, are so powerfully motivated to smoke tobacco. Nicotine has definite psychoactive effects, so I decided to give it a try. I've never smoked tobacco; it's severely damaging to your health, addictive, stinks, and is really expensive in several ways. But a bit of on-line research seems to indicate that nicotine without the accompanying acetaldehyde produced in cigarette smoke is not particularly addictive. So I bought a package of nicotine gum and have been chewing a piece when I start noticing symptoms. It seems to increase my focus and motivation, and stops the cycle of depressing thoughts. I haven't felt the need for more than one piece/day, and don't crave it on the many days I don't feel depressed. The only drawback I've found is mild, transient dizziness.

I'm quite willing to entertain the possibility that this is a placebo effect, but heck, whatever works, right? The mild effect may not be enough to counteract severe depression, but it might be worth a try.

Have any of you found nicotine gum or vaping relieves your symptoms? There seems to be a lot of anecdotal evidence (google it) out there.

Old 10-08-2015, 11:36 AM

59 posts, read 40,388 times
I was given 20mg Celexa (Citalopram) for my social anxiety about 1.5 years ago. Aside from a bit of bloating and mood swings the first 2-3 weeks, everything was smooth sailing from then. No bad symptoms. I didn't gain any weight but I love the gym and track my intake religiously so even if it's possible that my appetite was raised, I didn't get fat.

I think it helped me a lot but I did it in conjunction w/ CBT and forcing myself to interact with people. I'm weaning off now, doing it VERY slowly and it's going great.

So imo Celexa is great -- at least for me. I was incredibly lucky that the first thing I tried worked. But that was for anxiety. My depression stayed LOL. Antidepressants are HORRIBLE for depression ironically. They make you more depressed and numb.

If you're depressed, take things which are more like stimulants, get a lot of exercise, and sun.

Old 10-10-2015, 08:58 PM

52 posts, read 37,861 times
Willpower

Old 10-11-2015, 07:41 AM

2,937 posts, read 1,885,370 times
If you felt like the zoloft helped and now isn't working anymore you need to tell the psychiatrist treating you. It's not uncommon for an anti-depressant that was great at first to lose its efficacy and you'll need to switch medications.

If you're having trouble finding any medication that works there is now a genetic test you can have done that gives a breakdown of what kind of mental health medications will work best and what ones to avoid. It's incredibly helpful for people who present with medication "resistants" to certain medications.

Cytochrome P450 (CYP450) tests - Mayo Clinic

Old 10-11-2015, 03:02 PM

3,700 posts, read 3,056,043 times
I recently had surgery and decided to lower my dosage of citalopram from 40mg to 20, and now 10, but I might go back up to 20.. I've been on 40mg for about 6-7 months now. I think it conked out, but this has now happened the last three autumns where once summer was over I got kinda depressed about it that it made me lower my anti-depressant. I feel that during the Winter it's okay for me to experience blue moods. Anyone else this way?

Old 10-11-2015, 05:44 PM

14,545 posts, read 18,314,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danida View Post
I was given 20mg Celexa (Citalopram) for my social anxiety about 1.5 years ago. Aside from a bit of bloating and mood swings the first 2-3 weeks, everything was smooth sailing from then. No bad symptoms. I didn't gain any weight but I love the gym and track my intake religiously so even if it's possible that my appetite was raised, I didn't get fat.

I think it helped me a lot but I did it in conjunction w/ CBT and forcing myself to interact with people. I'm weaning off now, doing it VERY slowly and it's going great.

So imo Celexa is great -- at least for me. I was incredibly lucky that the first thing I tried worked. But that was for anxiety. My depression stayed LOL. Antidepressants are HORRIBLE for depression ironically. They make you more depressed and numb.

If you're depressed, take things which are more like stimulants, get a lot of exercise, and sun.
I was taking a mood stabilizer (which caused medically related problems) and welbrutiain. I wasn't sleeping more than a few hours a day, and the welbrutain added to the stimulant effect of the other was making me very hyper. I finally got off all of them and have had no problem with being hyper since. Or with the swings between up and utterly zoned. And I sleep. First, I dropped the mood stabilizers and everything was still moving too fast.

If your on an AD and/or mood stabilizers, keep a diary of your reactions, how much you take when, and your sleep. If you can't sleep and especially if others notice, go to your doctor and tell them. Go to your medical doctor and have a checkup too, to see if there is an absorbtion problem with medications. But don't just keep taking your pills like a good little robot and hope the problems go away, especially if other people notice. Adding more pills to overcome the side effects of the ones your taking your going down a bad road.

Old 10-22-2019, 08:26 AM

12,374 posts, read 5,863,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
The single best antidepressant has been shown to be exercise.

Apart from that, no single drug has been shown to be best - and in fact there has been some horrifying evidence that it is often essentially useless, no better than a placebo. (Though, of course, profitable to doctors and pharmaceutical companies.)
This kind of advice just pisses me off. When you are so depressed that breathing seems like an effort, exercising when feeling like this would be like me telling a person with asthma to climb Mt. Everest because they will feel soooo much better afterward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or