U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 12:30 PM

94 posts, read 95,541 times

Advertisements

Over the years, I've been taking Zoloft, 100 mg for my depression. It pulled me out of depression, but I feel like I can do better. I still feel joyless and lost my passion for things, while the years of my life are clicking by.

Has anyone ever taken a better antidepressant? Any ideas on how to get the passion back. Am I looking in the wrong place? What if this is as good as it gets?!!

Would love to hear from anyone.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 12:58 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,197,868 times
Quote:
I still feel joyless and lost my passion for things, while the years of my life are clicking by.
Any ideas on how to get the passion back.
I'm in the same boat. I've lost all my passion and don't know how to get it back. Stimulating exercise is probably a good place to start but it's hard to get started due to the lack of motivation!

My antidepressants controlled my depression and anxiety to a point. By taking supplements my depression and anxiety has subsided almost to zero. Included are L-Theanine and 5-HTP. Otherwise multi-vitamins, multi minerals and omega-3. I also cut out all stimulants which helped too. I'm now at the place where I can start regaining my sense of joy (which is not going too well but then I am not doing the stimulating exercise).

Old 12-30-2014, 01:13 PM

460 posts, read 758,134 times
That's like asking what's the best shoe. What works the best for one person might not be the same for someone else. Ask a psychiatrist.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
I'm in the same boat. I've lost all my passion and don't know how to get it back. Stimulating exercise is probably a good place to start but it's hard to get started due to the lack of motivation!
Thank you so much for sharing. If you don't mind, what's a "stimulating" exercise?

Old 12-30-2014, 01:35 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,005,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc1641 View Post
Over the years, I've been taking Zoloft, 100 mg for my depression. It pulled me out of depression, but I feel like I can do better. I still feel joyless and lost my passion for things, while the years of my life are clicking by.

Has anyone ever taken a better antidepressant? Any ideas on how to get the passion back. Am I looking in the wrong place? What if this is as good as it gets?!!

Thank you!
There is no "best" antidepressant. Everyone's brain is wired differently, so while one may work well for one person, it might not work at all for another. I've taken Paxil, Zoloft, lexapro, and cymbalta for anxiety and mild depression. The only one that I felt helped at all was lexapro, but it still wasn't worth the side effects, as not being able to climax during sex was as bad as being clinically anxious all the time. With that being said, diet and exercise does more for me than any drug ever has, and it's not even close. You just have to force yourself to do it. Keeping a healthy diet is also really important. I went from having issues with leaving my house, to being the person I was as a young man through major lifestyle changes. The first major change was daily exercise. I started out with just jogging a mile a day and progressed into being a full on gym-rat adrenalin junkie. These days I spend a lot of my time on my trail bike or kayaking with friends that share my interests, and I do weight barring exercises daily. My diet took me a while to figure out, but I now know what keeps me running on all cylinders. The first thing I did was lose the junk food. For the first time in my life, I started eating Lots of fruits and vegetables, as well as whole grains loaded with fiber. I eliminated a lot of things from my daily diet like dairy, red meat, and sweets. That doesn't mean I won't treat myself while out at a dinner once in a while, but when I went to a mostly Pescetarian diet loaded with omega rich super foods like salmon, almonds, and Avocado I felt different than I had in a very long time. The last thing that I did, which might have been the most important, was cutting back my alcohol consumption down to almost nothing, and eliminating caffeine, nicotine, and marijuana use completely, as they were all things that perpetuated my anxiety, which eventually caused my depression at the peak of what I now call the dark times.

I'm sure you've been told this by doctors a million times if you have been dealing with mental illness over the years, but I'm here to tell you that lifestyle changes are more effective than drugs for a lot of people including myself.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
I'm sure you've been told this by doctors a million times if you have been dealing with mental illness over the years, but I'm here to tell you that lifestyle changes are more effective than drugs for a lot of people including myself.

Thank you for sharing such wonderful ideas. You are obviously very motivated and it pays off. Now that I think about it, I was at my happiest when I used to belong to a volleyball league in New York, 6 years ago. It gave me social connection and job of just bumping a ball-I moved away from NYC and was not able to find the same quite yet.

Thank you.

Old 12-30-2014, 02:17 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,005,919 times
Quote:
Thank you for sharing such wonderful ideas. You are obviously very motivated and it pays off. Now that I think about it, I was at my happiest when I used to belong to a volleyball league in New York, 6 years ago. It gave me social connection and job of just bumping a ball-I moved away from NYC and was not able to find the same quite yet.

Thank you.
Just get out there and do it! It's like swimming in cold water. Once you're wet, it's not that bad. It's all about taking that first plunge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdzutB08l3E

I could watch this clip 100 times. This man speaks the truth........

Old 12-30-2014, 05:56 PM

7,542 posts, read 8,745,753 times
Back in the early 90's, I was on Pamelor for about 18 months, and found that it worked pretty well. It isn't that expensive either.

Old 12-31-2014, 12:53 PM

3,880 posts, read 4,148,365 times
Quote:

Thank you!
Ever hear of Prozac poop out? It's a term for when your long-term antidepressants stop working as well as they used to. For me (and many cases I've read about) it started after 3-5 years or so.

Because I'm generally on low doses of Prozac (10-20mg), I can easily go cold turkey for a couple months and just start anew. 2 weeks later its back to its best "performance."

I've had to tell my psychiatrists (or GPs) about this basic phenomena, they apparently don't do any research beyond what the drug companies tell them (how lame is that?)

I've also been experimenting with going off entirely but have come to respect the drug's benefits for me. I could live without it but see it as a life enhancement. I'm more angry and beat myself up more without the Prozac.

I'd also advise anyone who starts to try to get by on as low a dose as possible. Living on high doses for years means withdrawal could be brutal and you may not have the flexibility to do what I described above. And of course exersize is critical, without it, you are not even trying to be well/happy.

Old 12-31-2014, 03:18 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,142,396 times
Spirituality is the best antidepressant...ain't saying you don't need to go to a doctor, but I've found most depressions are a lack of spirituality. Even if you aren't a religious person, spirituality (a good one) will be very helpful.

Wayne Dyer recommend on his books often to say every morning "thanks" to your deity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or