U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2015, 08:56 PM

58 posts, read 84,396 times

Advertisements

Utah and the intermountain west have some of the highest suicide rates in the country. Here is a new approach to reduction, which was hugely successful in Detroit.

BBC News - New strategy to cut suicides 'achievable', says Clegg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 10:36 PM

6,424 posts, read 3,248,569 times
I spoke to a young lady one day and she told me that six of her friends had commit suicide and her uncle too! She told me this after I had told her of my son'e suicide. I believe it was preventable. I was just too late to help him. No-one else was helping him. It's heart breaking.

Old 01-20-2015, 04:06 AM

546 posts, read 774,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arizona stallion View Post
Utah and the intermountain west have some of the highest suicide rates in the country. Here is a new approach to reduction, which was hugely successful in Detroit.

BBC News - New strategy to cut suicides 'achievable', says Clegg
The older I grow the more pessimistic I become for my species. Put it simply most people couldn't care less about others- even their own- let alone strangers. How many suicides do you read in a day? Think about it hard. Robin Williams death shook everyone because no one expected it. Light was shone on this disease of the mind: depression, but then what? All is forgotten in a few days.

If a person is afflicted with cancer what do you do? You empathize but other than that what else can you do? Unless you are the one afflicted you will never know. I think at the end of the day we are personalities. Some are sensitive and feel more. In the ancient ages they became priests and nuns. But they are never given their dues and easily walked over. It is these people who ask these questions.

Honestly... What can we do?

Old 01-21-2015, 11:33 PM

5,239 posts, read 7,021,520 times
In this age of everything being OK and out in the open mental health problems are still seen differently. Tell someone you have migraines, they are much more sympathetic than if you tell them you have had an anxiety attack or suffer with severe incapacitating depression. It's true most people don't care or try to emphasize with the one suffering. Though even with purely physical illnesses people often are hurt by folks they thought were friends that have abandoned them since they became ill. My dad had that happen, but he did my mom. The folks with long term illnesses whether it be physical like cancer or years of severe depression do better when they have good constant support from family or close friends. Those without anyone are most likely to question why they even bother to keep trying when no one would care or miss them anyway.

I'm not so quick to believe Ford's figures, knowing doctors as I do. I don't believe most doctors understand or care in the least, they are pill pushers quick to get patients in and out. They don't want to hear more than a quick synopsis, from that they will throw a dart and pick a drug. They feel threatened by patients that are well read on meds and treatments. Psychologists are book trained but unlike alcohol and substance abuse counselors they haven't lived with the problem themselves. So they don't know how it feels or get it at all in real life terms. So they stare into space thinking about dinner, golf, the fight with the wife, or their own screwed up kids. Maybe say uhuh a few times, let the patient ramble, watch the clock and perhaps quote some clap trap psychobable if feeling very energetic. Very, very few have a gift for sensitivity, empathy and truly care. I doubt even 1 percent fall into that category. And even at best these are not people that you can call anytime of day or night like with a loved one or close friend.

I'm cynical too, seeing a culture that is more apt to reach for their phone to video the tragedy than try to do anything to help. Reading comments about celebrities that kill themselves like Williams did or by booze or drugs, you find they are treated with much more respect than the average person or those classified as lower class folks, the homeless person, or non-celebrity drug addicts. When one is perched on a bridge, people show no empathy with their comments, it's all about their inconvenience and making their commute longer. If it had been a celebrity you'd see an entirety different scene.

Man's inhumanity to man and beast is seen everyday and I don't think that will ever change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or