U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2015, 10:12 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,911,033 times

Advertisements

I personally have extensive experience with paranoid schizophrenia but have recently encountered an issue regarding a bipolar situation. Of course, I've been reading on line, but find that first hand accounts can be more beneficial.

Brief summation: I've been a private caregiver in one home the past 8 months and have always gotten along with everyone. A son lives in separate part of the house with girlfriend about 2 weeks a month off/on. I see the son and/or girlfriend about 4 x a month for an hour max when they come to visit parent. Since I started working there, I've always been friendly with/chatted with girlfriend and thought we got along. I bring extra food for her since she doesn't have a car and have offered to take her car shopping since no one else has time.

First of this month she, who is bi-polar I just learned, got back onto new medication. Two weeks ago she also got onto Chantix. Since then she has decided I'm romantically "after" the son. She's been making outlandish remarks to other caretakers about pretty much everything I do including breathing. There are 5 other caretakers. I pulled up Bipolar,jealousy,chantix today and only got pages of "delusional jealousy". I've never encountered this, but it claims that no matter how much you can disprove the reason for jealousy, the person becomes more fixated and obsessed.

I'm curious if this person could snap and I end up killed over a delusion? If that's the case I can quit my job. Like I said, I don't know a thing about bi-polar and have been reading as much as I can. I was caught totally off guard.

(Yes, She's asked about my personal living situation and I've volunteered I'm in a 13 year live-in relationship. I've always referred to the s/o as "the boyfriend" since my personal life is none of anyone's business She just now asked if he actually has a "name."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 06:02 PM

14,545 posts, read 18,360,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanstone1 View Post
I personally have extensive experience with paranoid schizophrenia but have recently encountered an issue regarding a bipolar situation. Of course, I've been reading on line, but find that first hand accounts can be more beneficial.

Brief summation: I've been a private caregiver in one home the past 8 months and have always gotten along with everyone. A son lives in separate part of the house with girlfriend about 2 weeks a month off/on. I see the son and/or girlfriend about 4 x a month for an hour max when they come to visit parent. Since I started working there, I've always been friendly with/chatted with girlfriend and thought we got along. I bring extra food for her since she doesn't have a car and have offered to take her car shopping since no one else has time.

First of this month she, who is bi-polar I just learned, got back onto new medication. Two weeks ago she also got onto Chantix. Since then she has decided I'm romantically "after" the son. She's been making outlandish remarks to other caretakers about pretty much everything I do including breathing. There are 5 other caretakers. I pulled up Bipolar,jealousy,chantix today and only got pages of "delusional jealousy". I've never encountered this, but it claims that no matter how much you can disprove the reason for jealousy, the person becomes more fixated and obsessed.

I'm curious if this person could snap and I end up killed over a delusion? If that's the case I can quit my job. Like I said, I don't know a thing about bi-polar and have been reading as much as I can. I was caught totally off guard.

(Yes, She's asked about my personal living situation and I've volunteered I'm in a 13 year live-in relationship. I've always referred to the s/o as "the boyfriend" since my personal life is none of anyone's business She just now asked if he actually has a "name."
I'm not sure but its worth more research. Years ago I read where they noticed people taking welbrutain and lamictual for bipolar symptoms were finding they helped a lot in quitting smoking. Then it was tried off label by doctors and it seemed to work. I have read that Chantix is a combination. It may be a lower dose, but if you listen to the commercials warnings they sound identical. If she's on another new med and the chantix came from someone else, medical doctor perhaps, you could have a serious drug interaction too.

They do warn of a rash which might point to lamictal.

The wildcard would be what else she's taking and who is giving her what.

At the least her psych doc should be told and be aware of all medications she's taking for whatever reason. She needs these meds reevaluated now.

When I was taking both, I would stay awake for over 24 hours and couldn't sleep. I weaned myself off of them. A lot of the 'symptoms' which increased the dosage dissapeard on their own as I dropped the dosage and dissapeared once I was free of them. A sudden change like she has had is an immediate reason for getting her to a doctor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health