Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 03:16 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,522,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiewhit View Post
Thanks for the advice katjonjj. I don't take her phone calls, this is all happening over facebook and email. I did call her on one thing, she told me I could go live in France for a month and farm in exchange for room and board. I said to her "why don't you go, nothing is holding you back." She said oh I am going as soon as I do x, y, z. I think I forgot to say that she has a drinking/weed problem, in my opinion. She denies it. When I saw her last I said I did not wish to ride with anyone who had been drinking or smoking and she said "how dare you say that about something I love". She is basically a lost person, and I do feel sorry for her. She will not change, my therapist told me she will not change, I know she will not change. It's a game over power and I no longer wish to play. Natsku, when you get into the money part of custody, then you will see if he's a narcissist or not. I don't know how to help you help your daughter. So sorry for you. Good luck and keep us posted.
Your therapist is right and it is unlikely to do any good discussing anything with her. I've never been happier since I cut off contact with my mother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 09:18 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,633,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post

A narcissist can only have drama if there is someone to give it to them!

Another technique to help you not take on her words is The Emotional Freedom Technique. I haven't tried it since it's been over 20 years since my mother had any control in my life but it sounds like it's worth a try.

Whatever you do... DON'T believe a word she says. Not even when she says she loves you! Why? because the "I love you" is a trap that allows her to hurt you even more when her actions and words say "I don't love you." Protect yourself and call her on her lies.

I have also found that if you don't play into their drama, they will ramp things up just to get a reaction out of you. They need drama and will create something out of thin air when things are quiet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health