Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 02:17 PM

289 posts, read 450,168 times

Advertisements

Today I was getting out of my car at Chipotle and there was a homeless man standing nearby. When I passed him he asked if I could help him get something to eat. Normally, when I'm asked for money, I just kindly say no. But since he asked for food, and we were standing outside a Chipotle, I said "Do you want a burrito?" And he said 'yes.'
So we went in, he asked if he could get a quesadilla. I told him to get whatever he wanted. I paid for the food (his food was still being made/quesadillas take a minute to heat up or whatever), went to get a soda, passed him when I was walking out and said "Enjoy" and he said 'thanks.' And that was it. I got in my car and drove home.
And now I feel 100% sad about this whole situation. Part of it could be that: is he truly homeless? Did I just get taken? But if I did, it was maybe eight bucks that I lost and its not going to make or break me. Or am I sad that he's homeless and without much? I have no idea. I feel like I was 'short' with him and could have been nicer. But I did a very nice thing! I did a mitzvah!
I sit here crying and upset and I don't know why. Could be that I'm still coming off Cymbalta (if you've read my other thread) but I just feel overwhelming sadness.
Any insight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 02:41 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,205,604 times
you fed someone
let it go
why go one and on about it??
you will never find an answer to where this person is homeless
why not go volunteer somewhere
get involved
when I give money to someone
I say a prayer for them and then go on

Old 01-30-2015, 03:05 PM

You're right. It's over and done. I just didn't like/understand the sadness I felt.

Will be volunteering with The Boys and Girls Club in my area. Had my phone orientation yesterday.

Old 01-30-2015, 03:27 PM

11,020 posts, read 5,975,337 times
I can understand your feelings. You did a kind thing and you felt compassion for the man. Did you get taken in? Probably not. But even if you did, you did a compassionate thing. You did an act of kindness. So why the sadness? As you say, possibly because you are still coming off Cymbalta. But you have compassion and you are putting that to good purpose.

All the best to you.

Last edited by 303Guy; 01-30-2015 at 04:32 PM..

Old 01-30-2015, 03:50 PM

Thanks 303. Your words help.

Old 01-30-2015, 04:23 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,611,869 times
It was a great kindness.

What is so bad about feeling good? Allow yourself to feel good. You touched another life. I think you are a wonderful person.

Old 01-30-2015, 06:05 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,853,248 times
Don't sweat it. Sometimes acts of compassion and kindness can be overwhelming. That's not a bad thing. It's also why more people aren't able to do it.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:17 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,246,558 times
I was homeless for a while. There are people who are genuinly hungry, and people who just want money. I've gotten food for people, bought it and given it to them. Some say no they want money. They didn't get money.

It was a good act. If the man was hungry, he got a dinner. People learn to survive any way they can and if its drugs or booze they want, they'll insist on money.

What people often don't get is respect as human beings, and when you give that, it is a great gift.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:26 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,199,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box*of*rain View Post
Today I was getting out of my car at Chipotle and there was a homeless man standing nearby. When I passed him he asked if I could help him get something to eat. Normally, when I'm asked for money, I just kindly say no. But since he asked for food, and we were standing outside a Chipotle, I said "Do you want a burrito?" And he said 'yes.'
So we went in, he asked if he could get a quesadilla. I told him to get whatever he wanted. I paid for the food (his food was still being made/quesadillas take a minute to heat up or whatever), went to get a soda, passed him when I was walking out and said "Enjoy" and he said 'thanks.' And that was it. I got in my car and drove home.
And now I feel 100% sad about this whole situation. Part of it could be that: is he truly homeless? Did I just get taken? But if I did, it was maybe eight bucks that I lost and its not going to make or break me. Or am I sad that he's homeless and without much? I have no idea. I feel like I was 'short' with him and could have been nicer. But I did a very nice thing! I did a mitzvah!
I sit here crying and upset and I don't know why. Could be that I'm still coming off Cymbalta (if you've read my other thread) but I just feel overwhelming sadness.
Any insight?
I think you feel sad because to know that someone is having to beg for food is extremely sad.....I think for someone not to feel saddened by this would worry me....Course, someone un-effected would not have bought this person a meal either.
No disrespect....just an example.....but compare to finding a dog....and then helping them....and worrying if you could have done more to help. So, I'm assuming you have a mixture of sadness and guilt. I find that normal....If you feel concerned or overly worried, contact your Doctor and speak to him/her about it.
Thanks for being so kind...It was a very nice thing to do...And, I'm sure this person appreciated it very much....You touched a life today, be proud of yourself

Old 01-30-2015, 10:47 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,246,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I think you feel sad because to know that someone is having to beg for food is extremely sad.....I think for someone not to feel saddened by this would worry me....Course, someone un-effected would not have bought this person a meal either.
No disrespect....just an example.....but compare to finding a dog....and then helping them....and worrying if you could have done more to help. So, I'm assuming you have a mixture of sadness and guilt. I find that normal....If you feel concerned or overly worried, contact your Doctor and speak to him/her about it.
Thanks for being so kind...It was a very nice thing to do...And, I'm sure this person appreciated it very much....You touched a life today, be proud of yourself
Occasionally, I got help from people when I was homeless. I didn't ask but if someone would pay for my lunch I'd let them. It was so much more than the food, it was being acknowledged as a human being. The worse thing about being homeless was the way if people could tell you were invisible. What many don't know is a lot of homeless are working but don't have enough to live other than a shelter or cheap motel when they can.

Just being kind and treating the man like a real human being was a beautiful give.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health