U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 03:24 AM

696 posts, read 679,224 times

Advertisements

I read alot about people suggesting good sleep hygiene, but what does that actually mean. I have tried everything to sleep well, both OTC like benadril, unisom, melatonin, and prescription pills for sleep, even ambien won't put me to sleep. I have also tried a SAD lamp in the morning. I have to stay up for 19 hours before I can finally fall asleep and then sleep for 10 hours, If I get less then 10 hours I feel physically ill and nauseous and dizzy and can't function. I constantly get my days and nights switched, staying up all night. Can anyone help me with sleep hygiene tips, and what it actually means and how it applies. I have tried waking up early and feeling tired all day and still cant fall asleep at night, even doing this several days in a row with no success. Also reading a book before bed does not work because I want to keep reading and can't put it down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 06:08 AM

6,311 posts, read 5,136,406 times
Sleep habits are a very personal thing. I also struggle with getting to sleep and staying asleep. I have found that keeping to a standard routine helps me a lot. I try and have the same ritual every night. For me, it entails not drinking wine within 3-4 hours of bedtime. Also, I take a hot bath about an hour before bed. I have to have a really great pillow (they can even make a custom pillow at the sleep number store) and for me that's a foam rubber pillow in K-size. I have to have really clean sheets and the bottom sheet must be tightly fitted. I have to sleep with a sleeping cap to keep my hair away from my face and my ears covered (they get cold). I also cannot stand to wear pj's or any garments in bed (bathrobe is kept at the foot of the bed).

These are my personal needs. I regret I need all those conditions to get a good night's sleep because it makes staying at friend's homes almost impossible. I hate being a fussy person who also needs a specific pillow and after leaving a pillow behind at a hotel, I have resolved to try and be more flexible. But I have learned that having a bedtime ritual -- whatever works for the individual -- is the best way to get good sleep.

Old 02-08-2015, 05:43 PM

6,322 posts, read 5,073,209 times
Sleep hygiene is the accumulation of many small thinks that will help you fall asleep faster and stay asleep. Some examples include: no caffeine for 12h prior to sleep, no strenuous exercise for so many hours prior to sleep, no cell phones or books in bed (ie, bed is for SLEEP only.) No heavy meals prior to sleep, no alcohol prior to sleep, the list goes on and on....

But tar, if your body needs 10 hours sleep, then you NEED 10yrs sleep. No amount of sleep hygiene tools will change this although it might help you fall asleep faster which is of course a good thing! Individual sleep needs are largely determined by genetics.

(Source: my own independent research on this issue, struggling with "Non- 24" for 10 years and DSPS prior to that, and having a body that absolutely needs 10h sleep or I am unable to "function.")

Old 02-09-2015, 02:42 AM

696 posts, read 679,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Sleep hygiene is the accumulation of many small thinks that will help you fall asleep faster and stay asleep. Some examples include: no caffeine for 12h prior to sleep, no strenuous exercise for so many hours prior to sleep, no cell phones or books in bed (ie, bed is for SLEEP only.) No heavy meals prior to sleep, no alcohol prior to sleep, the list goes on and on....

But tar, if your body needs 10 hours sleep, then you NEED 10yrs sleep. No amount of sleep hygiene tools will change this although it might help you fall asleep faster which is of course a good thing! Individual sleep needs are largely determined by genetics.

(Source: my own independent research on this issue, struggling with "Non- 24" for 10 years and DSPS prior to that, and having a body that absolutely needs 10h sleep or I am unable to "function.")

I basically already do all that sleep hygiene stuff then, I was hoping there was more to it then that. I can do all that and lay in bed for hours still unable to sleep even with pills, is there anything else I can do? It's really affecting my ability to live a normal life.

Old 02-09-2015, 06:38 AM

6,311 posts, read 5,136,406 times
How about learn meditation techniques? Even tho you might not actually fall fully asleep, resting and meditating will give your body a good amount of the restoration needed to function.

Old 02-10-2015, 02:03 PM

8,452 posts, read 12,276,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tar21 View Post
I basically already do all that sleep hygiene stuff then, I was hoping there was more to it then that. I can do all that and lay in bed for hours still unable to sleep even with pills, is there anything else I can do? It's really affecting my ability to live a normal life.
Yes. Maintain a daily exercise program.

Old 02-11-2015, 04:25 AM

11,153 posts, read 10,048,576 times
There are 'day' people and 'night' people. Some of us do better when following our internal clock.

Not saying that the OP can adjust school/work accordingly; however, that could be an answer.

Old 02-11-2015, 11:45 AM

6,319 posts, read 6,067,310 times
I went to a sleep clinic and they told me 80% of patients are immediately cured once they remove the animals and electronica from the bedroom.

Old 02-12-2015, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
I went to a sleep clinic and they told me 80% of patients are immediately cured once they remove the animals and electronica from the bedroom.
Maybe. Didn't work for me but I know I'm not the norm. If anything my cats greatly calm me down and help me sleep.

Old 02-12-2015, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tar21 View Post
Yeah, it kinda bugs me to see so many fluff articles about it since so much is common sense and intuitive. I feel it also minimizes issues for people with actual sleep disorders.

My advice is to get referred to a sleep clinic.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or