Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2015, 05:59 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,604,918 times

Advertisements

This year I promised myself that I would move past anxiety and stop playing the negative feedback loop in my head. I'm feeling very anxious this morning. I wrote about this on my Writing.com account:

"Feeling very anxious this morning... I'm all jittery. I have to call the finger print place today to see if I can just bring my confirmation number to UPS (the website wouldn't let me send an e-mail within Chrome and I ran out of paper in my printer). I hope so, but if not, I'll cancel that order and re-order in Internet Explorer. I'm just afraid of one person saying, "Why did you spend all that money for a job you know you won't get? You're so irresponsible with money." And that's what I want to move away from this year - that negative feedback loop. I need a FT job with the library as the 2nd PT job. This person shouldn't be suggesting things they know that will never respond (retail, call centers since I tried 6 different times at one company alone... times that by a lot of times - I just never hear or I hear and they're not interested in my credentials with a college degree and experience in non-retail positions). But, I know encouragement is a foreign language to them and I'm going to encourage myself. I can do this. I am qualified for that job. Yes, it was expensive, but the pay off is ten fold. It would help me save, it would look good on a resume for the Midwest. It'd open doors.

Well, work at the library today. I'm not going to let my anxiety get to me. I'm going to have a great day because I love my job. Have a good one, y'all! Happy Friday and Happy Friday the 13th! *Ghost*" (I'm referring to a job in a school setting. My old school is looking for an entry level admin assistant and sadly, in education you have to pay for your own background checks. I'm clear and have never committed any crimes.)

I'm not one for yoga. Yoga just doesn't do it for me. I usually go for long walks because just moving helps me. I don't want to go the medication route again because with my hypothyroidism, anti-depressants and anti-psychotics were a nightmare (it also stopped my periods; progesterone was a nightmare too with even more anxiety and depression). I've been trying to think of other ways to get past the anxiety. Does anyone have any advice?

Well, I have to run to work. Have a great day everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 06:16 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,257,395 times
Wow. I can relate to the job application anxiety. I have a dozen applications out there and got two rejections yesterday. But I shrug them off because there are so many of them I'm not letting one job make-or-break me. I have one I want so badly but I'm prepared in my heart to accept "what God wants of me". I do try to be obedient to what God wants for my life and leave the decision to him. I feel like if he wants me to have it, I'll have it. I have a job now so... My advise to you is not to obsess over that one job. Apply like crazy to jobs that seem far-fetched, jobs that seem beneath you, jobs that would be perfect, jobs that would require you to move (if it's a great job in a great place). Flood the network with YOU. Someone out there will want you. If not this perfect job than some other job.

No yoga? Me neither, but I try to stay fit, eat right and get enough sleep. When I can't sleep I read if it's already too late to take a sleep aid. If I'm anxious, I'll take a sleep aid - melatonin, benadryl or nyquil. I try not to make a habit of any one substance.

Walking in the woods, parks with trees, granite outcroppings, little creeks or lakes... That restores my soul. I enjoy running in that setting, too. Better than the gym on a treadmill, which I need to get to now. Best wishes.

Old 02-13-2015, 06:23 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,604,918 times
Hey Hunterseat,

I'm actually walking to work at 8:30, I don't start until 9 (it's a 10 minute walk). I apply at everything from office to writing to social media for the full time to internships that are paid. I get interviews with them because I do have experience, but I seem to bomb the interviews because I think my anxiety really comes out. I have to work on interview anxiety too. This is my first time applying at a school and I was a bit shocked with the price. However, the person doing the hiring is a family friend. I'm not sure if that would make a difference or not. But, once I get my packet together and send everything in, I want to prepare for interviews and work on the anxiety. I practice and practice the questions, but I seem to just bomb.

When I was in college, I really did like the therapist I saw. She used to suggest something called grounding. With that, I think it's sitting up straight in whatever kind of seat you're sitting in, putting both feet on the ground, deep breaths in and out and just center yourself. I know going to gynacologist appointments that helped me, so maybe it would help with job interviews too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health