U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2015, 09:18 AM

3,633 posts, read 4,585,836 times

Advertisements

Something I've been wondering about, not exactly sure how to word it.
If a person develops a medical problem that he didn't have before- diabetes or high blood pressure for example- the health care provider can do various tests and determine when or approximately when he developed the problem. The question is: is there anything similar for a mental health issue- such as anxiety, etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 09:30 AM

13,054 posts, read 16,161,991 times
Sure...you can determine "when or approximately when" your anxiety began..Think back on your life. When did your anxiety begin, what was happening in your life at that time..somethings upset or scared you...when you find out what it is you can learn to overcome it, or at least understand why you're anxious and accept and deal with it.

Old 03-09-2015, 05:17 PM

1,110 posts, read 885,410 times
No. I've had anxiety off & on for 20+ years. There is no medical type of testing they can do. No blood work or anything like that.

I just was informed a couple of weeks ago that anxiety, depression, phobias are all categorized as mental disorders or illnesses.

My psychiatrist told me in Nov. when I questioned going off the meds for depression & anxiety that it was a disease like diabetes. I stated that on a board here and got an earful from some lady that I was wrong. I read her articles and did some research on my own and she was right.

Some people can overcome it on their own as suggested above.

Old 03-14-2015, 03:39 PM

13,054 posts, read 16,161,991 times
Are you still having anxiety even when on the meds?
Cause if so why take them...unless you feel they help.
Of course some shrinks gonna "catagorize" you...that's what they do? That's how they push their pharmaceuticals, and that's how they control your mind.
Some people can overcome it on their own......others take the drugs.

Old 03-14-2015, 05:52 PM

12,036 posts, read 9,456,577 times
For mental health issues, there are no specific tests per se. Instead, they will take an assessment and history of your life to see if anything jumps out as being potentially traumatizing and/or anxiety inducing. It's your life experiences that may have been the catalyst to get the anxiety started and now you are in an anxiety cycle that you may need help to get out of.

Have you done any CBT?

Old 03-15-2015, 03:29 AM

1,110 posts, read 885,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Are you still having anxiety even when on the meds?
Cause if so why take them...unless you feel they help.
Of course some shrinks gonna "catagorize" you...that's what they do? That's how they push their pharmaceuticals, and that's how they control your mind.
Some people can overcome it on their own......others take the drugs.
My anxiety was first diagnosed as Mitral Valve Proplapse, a heart valve problem. I began by having panic attacks and then chest pain. I was 31 at the time and I'm now 57. I became "used to" the chest pain and I went for CBT for the panic attacks. I was on no meds until age 38.

Life got rough and my anxiety (chest pain) went through the roof. I went to the ER thinking I was having a heart attack because the pain was so bad. I was sent for a stress test and then a heart cath. Nothing at all was wrong with my heart, My doc (PC)put me on anti-depressents for a year and yes, they did help take the edge off. My chest pain was at a minimal.

I went on them again at age 43 for 2 years. I went for counseling and sought out a Psychiatrist because I felt they were better equipped than my PCP to prescribe psych drugs.

I went on them again 4 years ago and I'm currently taking them in hopes of getting off of them someday, but maybe I'm one of those people that needs whatever chemicals are in them for me to be able to lead a somewhat productive life.

I was introduced to grief as a child and a teenager. I got through it. I was raised to recognize that no matter how bad I may think my life is, somebody has 10 times worse than me. I have faith and a fantastic family that have helped me through the hard times in life. I know that I have to work to "overcome" what life throws at me and I don't depend on the meds to take away my problems.

I am here to answer your questions and to let the OP know of my experience.

I've had 6 major traumas or tragedies in my life and I've dealt with them on my own or "sought" out help from professionals when I knew I needed it. Out of almost 30 years, I've taken them off & on for 7 years. I do meditation, breathing exercises and walk.

I'm a good, tender hearted, giving, moral, loving person. We're all different and what works for one person always doesn't work for others.

I'm extremely sensitive and I'm not going to get into banter with anyone about the psych drugs or field.

My biggest problem in life has been in dealing with cruel people. I don't have "balls" and I wish to God I did.

OP, take some of these people's advice. I'm just letting you know that there's two sides to every story. I wish you the best.

For any one that wants to argue, I'm not going to. I answered the OP and a poster.

One last thing for the OP, be careful of who you talk to about your problem. There's this "stigma" of people looking down their noses at you and telling you that it's in your mind and to "get over it". It's so easy to judge someone when you haven't walked in their shoes. You can go to counseling without being on any meds. Try to find a support group on the net. I bet there's plenty. Talk to people who are in your situation.

Ok, I lied.... I took psychadelic illegal drugs a couple of times when I was in my teens and early 20's, but that was for fun and poor choices that I made hahaha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or