U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 01:55 PM

9,237 posts, read 19,803,379 times

Advertisements

I had a speaker from this group speak where I used to work (years ago). They provide education and advocacy about borderline personality disorder for people diagnosed with it as well as their loved ones and treatment providers.

TARA Association for Personality Disorder

I recently learned of this organization, Project Borderline too:
http://projectborderline.org/Official_Site/Home.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 01:29 PM

6,396 posts, read 5,960,032 times
My ex was diagnosed with BDP some years ago (although he denies the diagnosis now). He's the father of my child so he's still very much in life and can be very difficult to deal with sometimes. I'm worried about the possibility of my daughter having it too if there's a genetic component.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:27 AM

13,524 posts, read 3,960,930 times
Cinderslipper. I'm so glad you finally have an answer to a question that seems to have been tormenting you for years. I wish you the best in finding a way to deal with it. I have read much about BPD, and know people with it, and you are right, it's a terrible disease. May you find the courage you need to travel this path. Hugs to you, my friend. You are not alone.

Old 04-04-2015, 04:18 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,150,385 times
Follow the treatment verbatim. It's the only way to get better.

Old 04-05-2015, 02:39 PM

6,319 posts, read 6,067,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
I am manic or BPD 2. I can function pretty well without medication. It is a lot of self awareness and recognizing triggers. The biggest stress from it is my mom is not diagnosed BPD with alcoholism. Watching her mood swings is looking at a mirror, but she won't admit it due to viewing it as a weakness. Drinks on average 20 to 30 glasses of wine a week. Smoking she smokes a pack or two a week. Really self destructive unhealthy behavior. The mood swings and behavior have affected me my whole life. I left escaped the house. Went crazy with the freedom made so many impulsive purchases I couldn't stop it felt great to have my own control over my life. Loss my job, loss my girlfriend, loss place to live, $7,000 in debt had to move back home. Life is getting better sort of.

Taxes are bumming me out another $2,000 just because of unemployment. Have to hide a lot of truth from my mom because I have no where else to go threatens to kick me out and family to. Very minimal support just my girlfriend and her mom.

Das was diagnosed with bipolar kind of nothing further on that end. He also might of been adopted or different father. I was four divorced my mom. Just started talking to him after a 15 year hiatus, 28 right now. Still controlling like my mom mood swings are not noticeable. Very his way or the highway type. Is very impulsive and can have random bouts of energetic moods.

He takes a different approach from my mom. Healthy running working out. His life hasn't been so great but finally improving.

Also supportive of me but can never tell if a lie or not. Where my mom is very critical and judgmental. Will question how I look saying I an fat or not cute anymore. Very stressful life at home that might go on for another year till I can financially stable myself and move out...marry the girlfriend...finish going back to school again.

For myself definitely energy loss a lot of distraction loss of exercise. However, I have been able to curb my depressive elusive from 16 to 4 a year. I had a bad one recently three week's long. Finalized with a lot of anger and fear got myself into a car accident so more bill's. Hopefully thing's will improve just have to have faith and hope.

Best of luck.

I believe you may be confusing BPD or Borderline Personality Disorder, with Bipolar Disorder.

The two are not the same.

BPD seems to be the red headed stepchild of the Mental Health Spectrum.

My own GP told me it was not even a mental illness, despite the fact that it is now in the DSM-5.

Anyway Easter was a lonely time as usual for me, I am almost completely isolated.

Thank you for everyone with the kind words and links.

Old 04-08-2015, 06:39 AM

162 posts, read 126,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
How do you know you have it? Were you diagnosed? How long have you had it? What are your symptoms? It's informative to those of us interested in learning more. If you feel comfortable sharing, please do.

I was diagnosed, in the hospital. Symptoms were confused with Bipolar 2 disorder. Without going into too much detail, impulsivity, anger, suicidal threats, especially when confronted someone abandoning me.

I never got any sort of psychological help until I turned 22. My therapist told me I should have been hospitalized many times by now. I'm happy I wasn't though. Being hospitalized that much would have made me weak and dependent. I have another BPD friend who was constantly hospitalized and she has no skills to deal with reality.

Old 04-08-2015, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
I believe you may be confusing BPD or Borderline Personality Disorder, with Bipolar Disorder.

My own GP told me it was not even a mental illness, despite the fact that it is now in the DSM-5.

Anyway Easter was a lonely time as usual for me, I am almost completely isolated.

It's in the DSM-IV too. Mental health professionals just hate working with us because they can't just give us a pill to make it all better.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:22 PM

18,267 posts, read 16,805,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veretina View Post
It's in the DSM-IV too. Mental health professionals just hate working with us because they can't just give us a pill to make it all better.
Medications are usually not prescribed for personality disorders; the behaviors are learned and a result of childhood trauma, often occurring before the child is verbal. Clinicians have a difficult time working with Borderline patients because the therapist becomes the target for the client...and it takes a VERY strong clinician to manage this.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:01 AM

4,414 posts, read 2,082,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post

For starters, keep educating people. You're good at it.

I'm sorry to hear about your struggles and the symptoms that led to your diagnosis. I'm happy for you that you can see the diagnosis itself as providing relief. I bet a lot of maddening pieces of your life puzzle fit together better now. Also, you seem to be tackling this thing head on, which is admirable. From what I can tell, DBT is a fairly hopeful therapy for BPD.

It really sounds like you're well connected with resources and that you're developing a good plan to help yourself. I know I've snarked at you a few times on this board, but I'm sincere in wishing you luck and again sharing my admiration for the way you're dealing with this.

Coincidentally, I just posted something in the psych forum about responsibility and blame. Yours is one of those tough situations where those ideas get thrown around loosely and often in ways that don't help. Anyway, I can't seem to shut up. Take care of yourself.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Medications are usually not prescribed for personality disorders; the behaviors are learned and a result of childhood trauma, often occurring before the child is verbal. Clinicians have a difficult time working with Borderline patients because the therapist becomes the target for the client...and it takes a VERY strong clinician to manage this.
I've been prescribed meds for BPD. Mostly to control comorbid anxiety and ADD.

I have never targeted my therapist for the record. Us Borderlines are hyper sensitive to people looking down upon us or not fully engaging. My therapist was great. He was very understanding and always engaged. If I had a bad therapist which a vast majority of them suck and only take on Borderlines to get paid not actually help, I would probably leave in a fit. Never ever attack. Some NOT ALL Borderlines will do that. I'm tired of the stigmas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or