U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 09:28 AM

275 posts, read 266,295 times

Advertisements

I was just diagnosed with this yesterday. My psychiatrist recommended DBT therapy.

I had a lot of childhood emotional abuse from my dad. I didn't feel wanted or loved.

When I am in relationships I get really clingy and needy. For example I will cry if the person doesn't call or text me back or think the worst. I also get suicidal thoughts, which has to do with my fear of abandonment issues.

It is true that I cling on to that person, but that's because I want to feel what I didn't get to feel in my childhood, which was to be wanted. Needless to say the relationships didn't end well. It makes me feel crazy.

I am going to look for a DBT therapist and hopefully get help.

I'm 23.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 05:02 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,142,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newerabuzz View Post
Bi Polar disordered people tend to bully- can be very controlling, blame others, also have delusions of grandiosity (all similar to NPD) especially when they are in 'mania' . However they will over weeks or a few months 'crash' into depression. Narcissists can become dysphoric over lack of 'supply' or perceived ''injuries' to their inflated 'false self'. But NPD over time is far more 'stable' and consistent then Bi Polar disorder. Those with Bi Polar disorder lack the kind of 'emotional emptiness' to gaslight as well as those diagnosed with NPD or APD effectively..
The "gas lightining" in BD is more subtle. They just don't wanna talk about it, they act as if it was just a "sneeze" or something of little importance when they throw one of their "tantrums".

They remember alright, because when they throw one of their manic angry episodes, they begin to act like distant, if you confront them...they head for the hills, or just act all like "nothin' happened".

Old 05-07-2015, 02:09 PM

6,319 posts, read 6,029,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalker2014 View Post
The "gas lightining" in BD is more subtle. They just don't wanna talk about it, they act as if it was just a "sneeze" or something of little importance when they throw one of their "tantrums".

They remember alright, because when they throw one of their manic angry episodes, they begin to act like distant, if you confront them...they head for the hills, or just act all like "nothin' happened".
And YOU need to take your nasty hostile attitude OFF this board.

This thread is for SUPPORT not bashing.

Perhaps you are mentally unwell too as you seem so incredibly hostile to some unnamed person and appear to be taking it out on those who are here for HELP not criticism.

Old 05-07-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azul91 View Post
I was just diagnosed with this yesterday. My psychiatrist recommended DBT therapy.

I had a lot of childhood emotional abuse from my dad. I didn't feel wanted or loved.

When I am in relationships I get really clingy and needy. For example I will cry if the person doesn't call or text me back or think the worst. I also get suicidal thoughts, which has to do with my fear of abandonment issues.

It is true that I cling on to that person, but that's because I want to feel what I didn't get to feel in my childhood, which was to be wanted. Needless to say the relationships didn't end well. It makes me feel crazy.

I am going to look for a DBT therapist and hopefully get help.

I'm 23.
Hello and thanks so much for sharing.

Being diagnosed is half the battle imo.

Ive spent 40 years wondering why I behaved the way I do.

Now I have a REASON, and it gives me something to fight against, instead of just drifting from one emotional crisis to the next.

I am going to DBT in July, and my doctor just told me this week it will be very hard work and confronting and painful but I am DETERMINED to overcome this.

Old 05-10-2015, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
And YOU need to take your nasty hostile attitude OFF this board.

This thread is for SUPPORT not bashing.

Perhaps you are mentally unwell too as you seem so incredibly hostile to some unnamed person and appear to be taking it out on those who are here for HELP not criticism.
I'm not "bashing" anyone.

Support is often done by telling the truth and sharing experiences.

Unlike others, I take responsability for my actions AND I apologized when I did something wrong. It's not "hostility" when you witness abusive behavior.

The "awwww it's an illness" and things of that nature is what makes this people very dangerous to live with.

We try to share experiences that's all. I respect when people take responsability for their actions and actually DO something about it.

Old 05-10-2015, 06:49 PM

1,622 posts, read 1,412,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalker2014 View Post
I'm not "bashing" anyone.

Support is often done by telling the truth and sharing experiences.

Unlike others, I take responsability for my actions AND I apologized when I did something wrong. It's not "hostility" when you witness abusive behavior.

The "awwww it's an illness" and things of that nature is what makes this people very dangerous to live with.

We try to share experiences that's all. I respect when people take responsability for their actions and actually DO something about it.

Thank you....the always "not my fault". "I have to wait until July to get treatment" is kind of victim also.

Old 05-10-2015, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormynh View Post
Thank you....the always "not my fault". "I have to wait until July to get treatment" is kind of victim also.
Usually the victims of BD and BPD are their families, friends or loved ones.

I wonder what will happen to them if all people on their lives walk out due to their "strange" behaviors.

I know a case of a teen single mother who has BPD and abuse her children and their grandma (her own mother), cursing words and actually getting physical to them.

A court order forced her to go to treatment.

Sometimes you can get the "compassionate" part but not the "distance".

When there's children involved...there's a lot of issues you have to take into consideration.

Old 05-11-2015, 04:16 PM

You guys do know that the number one cause of BPD is neglect/trauma as an infant, right?

That those of us with it did NOTHING to get it?

We were/are victims of people who were supposed to care for us?

The person you describe is NOT ONLY BPD, she is also an abuser!! Not all BPDs abuse their kids!!

BPD is best described as FEAR. No more, no less. The crazy behavior comes from fear of abandonment.

Suffers spend almost every waking minute in swathes of emotion. It is Hell on Earth at times, and has an extraordinarily high suicide rate.

BPD suffers are still tiny desperate children inside, not evil manipulative game players NOR abusers.

You can be a child abuser without BPD, and a BPD without child abusing.

Old 05-11-2015, 04:26 PM

1,622 posts, read 1,412,175 times
Quote:
You guys do know that the number one cause of BPD is neglect/trauma as an infant, right?

The person you describe is NOT ONLY BPD, she is also an abuser!! Not all BPDs abuse their kids!!

BPD is best described as FEAR. No more, no less. The crazy behavior comes from fear of abandonment.

Suffers spend almost every waking minute in swathes of emotion. It is Hell on Earth at times, and has an extraordinarily high suicide rate.

BPD suffers are still tiny desperate children inside, not evil manipulative game players NOR abusers.

\\

Most child abusers were abused so does that man we are ok with child abusers? Why does somebody that is diagnosed with BPD wait a whole year before they will even go to treatment? Why why why and yet again not their fault. Instead of moving forward and fixing the problem lets say how it isn't our fault we were made this way.

Old 05-11-2015, 07:00 PM

Quote:

Most BPD get physical violent one way or the other. Not always but usually they do. Some abuse children, some don't, that's not the point, if you are doing something wrong you have to fix it.

BD is just most of the time violent with yelling (when in manic angry phase) but seldom they become physically violent.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...line-disorders
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or