Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 07:44 PM

29 posts, read 37,539 times

Advertisements

Hello, my diagnoses are Bipolar 1 and Schizoaffective Disorder. I'm actually on Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and, therefore, insured by Medicare and Medicaid. That's called dual eligibility.

I receive all my health care from a community clinic that accepts both insurances and have had a good psychiatrist for 2 years. I'm stable and responding well to medications (I guess). However, I somewhat disagree with the Bipolar 1 diagnosis. Certainly I suffer from depression with suicidal ideation... there is no doubt of that. But I question the manic symptoms alleged by my doctor.

I'm looking for a second opinion and have been researching independent psychiatrists that accept both insurances. I realized that most independent psychiatrists don't accept Medicare and Medicaid unless they practice in a hospital setting either inpatient or outpatient. But I don't want to go to any psychiatrist working in a hospital because they require that one first establish care with the hospital's primary doctor before receiving services from the psychiatrist. I don't want to change my primary doctor from my community clinic.

So I called several independent psychiatrists accepting Medicare only. I found some. From those, one of them responded that he accepts Medicare patients but not if the person is on disability. So in other words, that doctor accepts Medicare if the patient is retired, not disabled.

I was shocked and felt discriminated. If the doctor will receive payment from the same source either Medicare disability or retirement, why he is not accepting patients on disability? Is it legal for a doctor to do that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 11:11 AM

5 posts, read 6,040 times
Yo do not have ANYTHING . Do not allow them to LABEL yo with PHONY voted on "diseases>

CONFRONT your psychiatrist on his WICH DOCTORING FRAUD. What they do is NOT science and even Tom Insel the head fo the field says his won field is NONSENSE GARBAGE AND UNSCIENTIFIC.

LOOK UP NASA SCIENTIST PAUL LUTUS WHO IS VERY CRITICAL OF PSYCHIATRY WITCH DOCTORS.

Old 03-04-2015, 12:26 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,789 times
If you don't think you have it then you probably don't have it. Don't ever let a doctor tell you what you have or what you should do if you're having doubts. While they do have medical experience, they are not the expert on you. Only you know your body.
It sounds like your psychiatrist would be more understanding so try your best to express your doubts about his diagnosis but not in a way that makes him think you aren't respecting his opinion. You could mention to him about how being on disability is not a good thing for you (don't mention to him about going to another psychiatrist though that's not necessary)

Old 03-04-2015, 12:32 PM

8,149 posts, read 8,350,911 times
The psychiatrist may well be discriminating based on the eligibility guidelines s/he established for the office. However, since its a private practice I don't believe its illegal. Doctors in private practice have the right to determine which patients they will serve. In fact, if a doctor doesn't personally like someone s/he can refuse service, I believe. A doctor once fired my husband as a patient!

Old 03-04-2015, 04:53 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,699,445 times
Do you mean Bipolar 2...Normally B2 is manic depression, which is a long term depression. It is an interchangeable term and true a doctor can use it in regards to insurance reasons. Question is what is providing you the best care and treatment right now. However, as schizoaffective is also a term that describes a broad range of metal health illnesses. Another question is to ask yourself do you feel joy at one moment or certain emotions change without reason to example anger or sadness?

Hope that helps best of luck.

Last edited by RunD1987; 03-04-2015 at 05:26 PM..

Old 03-04-2015, 05:03 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,373,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diegomar View Post
Hello, my diagnoses are Bipolar 1 and Schizoaffective Disorder. I'm actually on Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and, therefore, insured by Medicare and Medicaid. That's called dual eligibility.

I receive all my health care from a community clinic that accepts both insurances and have had a good psychiatrist for 2 years. I'm stable and responding well to medications (I guess). However, I somewhat disagree with the Bipolar 1 diagnosis. Certainly I suffer from depression with suicidal ideation... there is no doubt of that. But I question the manic symptoms alleged by my doctor.

I'm looking for a second opinion and have been researching independent psychiatrists that accept both insurances. I realized that most independent psychiatrists don't accept Medicare and Medicaid unless they practice in a hospital setting either inpatient or outpatient. But I don't want to go to any psychiatrist working in a hospital because they require that one first establish care with the hospital's primary doctor before receiving services from the psychiatrist. I don't want to change my primary doctor from my community clinic.

So I called several independent psychiatrists accepting Medicare only. I found some. From those, one of them responded that he accepts Medicare patients but not if the person is on disability. So in other words, that doctor accepts Medicare if the patient is retired, not disabled.

I was shocked and felt discriminated. If the doctor will receive payment from the same source either Medicare disability or retirement, why he is not accepting patients on disability? Is it legal for a doctor to do that?
Do you Not have a Family Practitioner to get a second opinion??? Unfortunately labeling is what can happen..and unfortunately you NEED an advocate to defend your rights...Best of Luck!! ( BTW~~ Being Depressed does not mean Psychiatrical mental disease..It needs to be proven thru testings and encorporating History...Situations Circumstances alone can cause depression..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Swanson View Post
Yo do not have ANYTHING . Do not allow them to LABEL yo with PHONY voted on "diseases>

CONFRONT your psychiatrist on his WICH DOCTORING FRAUD. What they do is NOT science and even Tom Insel the head fo the field says his won field is NONSENSE GARBAGE AND UNSCIENTIFIC.

LOOK UP NASA SCIENTIST PAUL LUTUS WHO IS VERY CRITICAL OF PSYCHIATRY WITCH DOCTORS.
The Medical community is NOT immune ( some) to using the system to benefit themselves versus their clients (patients)

Old 03-04-2015, 06:54 PM

339 posts, read 334,444 times
So, you are obviously lucid enough to get online and work a pc and come to CD and post a pretty articulate and lucid thread.

Tell me why again you cannot work for a living and I as a taxpayer have to support you with my hard-earned dollars? You are obviously on medication that has the efficacy to allow you lucidity and adequate cognitive processes.

You cannot get a p/t office job. Or work retail. Or even be a greeter?

Just curious. This country is going broke, ya know.

I do not mean this as an attack. I am just honestly, sincerely, curious.

And yo get checks for the rest of your life so you never have to work, and you feel discriminated against.

Wow.

I work for the VA. I deal with government check-getters all day. I know dozens personally.

Thanks.

p.s. at what age were you dx's Bipolar? When did you have your first full-blown manic episode?

cuz, see: I too am Bipolar II. Diagnosed when I was in my early 20s. But taking 1200 mg's of lithium daily allows me to work full-time. For the government, no less.

Just sayin.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:14 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,166,824 times
Did the same psychiatrist diagnose you with both? Schizoaffective D/O is basically like the psychosis I'd schizophrenia, but it has a mood component. Which could be depression. I worked in the mental health field for about 10 years, and I don't think I ever encountered a diagnosis of both the schizoeffective and bipolar. I am not a doctor, but from my experience it would either be a diagnosis of schizoaffective or bipolar with psychotic features. However, it could all come down to the doctor coding things a particular way so that you could get the maximum amount of benefits. If you are happy with your med regimen and overall outcome of treatment, then I would not worry about your "diagnosis" because your doctor may actually be helping you by coding your diagnosis a particular way for insurance purposes. Don't focus so much on a diagnosis, but instead focus on your quality of life with your current treatment.

Old 03-08-2015, 07:57 PM

29 posts, read 37,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Vogel View Post
Tell me why again you cannot work for a living and I as a taxpayer have to support you with my hard-earned dollars? You cannot get a p/t office job. Or work retail. Or even be a greeter?
How did you come to the conclusion that I don't work? If you want, print a copy of this and send it to social security... or call the media... or do whatever scandal you want.

BTW Thank you for working hard and support me with your taxes. Continue working working and working hard!! Don't forget to give a copy of this to the media or social security, okay??

Old 03-08-2015, 10:29 PM

53 posts, read 66,868 times
If you don't think you have a problem, then stop accepting govt. handouts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health