U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2015, 10:31 PM

2 posts, read 1,374 times

Advertisements

Here are some symptoms I have been feeling for years now. I got used to them, because I haven't been able to figure out what they are:

-head feels like its full of cotton balls all day and night.
-inability to mentally and physically organize (difficult to mentally go through things in my mind so things need to be written down and even then prioritizing is hard; physical environment often very messy; much difficulty organizing an academic paper, to name a few examples).
-very easily overwhelmed (for example a full time job plus life responsibilities seem extraordinarily daunting, even impossible).
-mind feels like its a "house of cards-" if someone interrupts it all comes crashing down. Noises and lights feel very intrusive to my brain function and thought process and distract me.
-Geographically challenged. Very hard to get from point A to point B; directions confuse me
-A day without any planning (i.e Saturday) can easily turn into chaos and turmoil as executive functioning planning and executing is very hard admist the mental clutter
-high cortisol and stress; weight gain
-anxiety
-this discomfort causes me to feel and act very irritable a lot of the time.
- I find myself in ruts that seems impossible to climb out from
-deadlines are often extended or missed as it takes me about 5x longer to complete tasks than the average person.

I have been diagnosed with ADD, but could this be something else? ADD medication doesn't help, it just makes the anxiety worse. I had a brain scan about 4 years ago which turned out fine. I am a woman in her late 20's who is very bright and capable, but find these things are holding me back and can be paralyzing at times. Please let me know if you have any inkling what these symptoms could be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 10:44 PM

813 posts, read 1,036,979 times
Have you had any kind of intervention for the cortisol imbalance? My adrenal function was awful, and I had many of the issues you describe. I am on a daily supplement to help with adrenals and it is a whole new world.

I started seeing a naturopath doctor a couple years ago, and it has made a huge difference in my health and well-being, both physically and mentally.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:48 AM

6,241 posts, read 5,032,290 times
Just curious about what you have done to monitor your symptoms. Have you kept a food diary? Have you tried exercise routine? Have you monitored your sleep? It could be so many things but until you get a real fix on your dietary intake and how you are taking care of your body, its impossible to elminiate causes or identify solutions.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:29 AM

2 posts, read 1,374 times
RainbowHope, I had an "intervention" once for the cortisol- but it was only to take a "cortisol control" supplement every day which didn't help. Does anyone know of any other cortisol interventions or who to go to for them? Endocronologist? Naturopath doctor?

WorldKlas, I see a nutritionist and personal trainer every week and my nutrition has been spot on, as has my exercise and sleep.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:35 AM

7,238 posts, read 11,672,479 times
Are you on any regular medication?

Old 02-25-2015, 10:46 AM

3 posts, read 8,422 times
JASMINE7755

....It is literally irony that you posted this. Thats how I feel almost all the time. I am trying to make sense of it as well. I an 24 yr old female and I feel like I can relate. alot.

You mentioned cottonballs in your head.... will you elaborate more? I have constantly felt like I cannot think straight/process my thoughts without writing down everything word for word . I find that my motivation is lacking as well, do you?
When you try to make sense of things does it seem like it takes so long to come to that conclusion? ( i ask because i am experiencing it)

my other question for you is that do you experience anxiety? I find myself with these constant butterflies :/

My physical environment also tends to become cluttered and dis organized quickly as well. Almost everything that you have written about above, I can relate to a lot of it.

We got to figure this out.... i am sure that you are just as annoyed with it as me!

Old 02-26-2015, 12:48 PM

83,141 posts, read 76,077,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine7755 View Post
RainbowHope, I had an "intervention" once for the cortisol- but it was only to take a "cortisol control" supplement every day which didn't help. Does anyone know of any other cortisol interventions or who to go to for them? Endocronologist? Naturopath doctor?

WorldKlas, I see a nutritionist and personal trainer every week and my nutrition has been spot on, as has my exercise and sleep.
Key question, OP: do you have fatigue? Has there been any kind of emotional trauma preceding the onset of these symptoms, or a major source of stress, of some sort? A move, losing a job, divorce, victim of crime, deaths in the family, or a combination of stressful events?

Find an MD or a naturopathic doctor who administers the Adrenal Stress Index Test. You can Google this. This will tell you what state your adrenals are in, across a 24-hr. period. This is essential information for you to have. The test isn't covered by insurance, and costs around $100. It's a saliva collection schedule. Most primary care docs and endocrinologists say the saliva test isn't a valid test. They're wrong. It's the ONLY test to determine what's happening with the adrenals. It's an essential tool in certain cases.

Acupuncture can help calm your cortisol and reset your adrenals, if you can find a good acupuncturist. Japanese acupuncture is effective, and acupuncturists trained in Taiwan or Hong Kong, or trained by people from there, are very effective. It's hit-and-miss with people who learned "Traditional Chinese Medicine" (TCM), which comes out of the PRC, and dominates most acupuncture schools these days. People with adrenal issues swear by acupuncture.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 02-26-2015 at 01:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or