U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2015, 10:33 AM

3 posts, read 8,545 times

Advertisements

What anxiety makes me feel like on a day-to-day basis seemed like a good place to start.... does any body else out there get a "butterfly" or "fluttering" feeling in their stomach? I am constantly waking up feeling like this, it goes throughout the day until I go to sleep again.

Being in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy a few years ago did seem to help, while it provided different ways of handling anxiety. But now that I am 24 years old, it seems to have re-entered my life and I do not know how to put a grasp on it. What do you do? I have been told by my current therapist that I really need to increase my exercise and that would help....especially since medication is something I want to stay away from.

Have any other people with anxiety been on an anxiety reducing medication in the past? It seemed to make me foggy, not think straight, and gain a ton of weight. What other solutions are there? Have been tested for ADD/ADHD, which neither I have. I do have "generalized anxiety disorder" but I think there is something more.

Am I the only one that feels this ridiculous butterfly feeling???.... I ask because I am struggling to find any one else with this odd symptom.

some more symptoms include,
-inability to think straight or clearly, resulting in writing down everything in order to complete it. The best way to really explain this feeling is what someone used in another post and that is a feeling of cotton balls ( fuzziness/difficult to process thoughts)
-anxiety
-organization is difficult mentally/physically
-constantly anxious but unable to identify why
- nausous/ loss of appetite due to increased anxiety
- shortness of breath, panic ( does not happen often)
- paranoid/overthinking/ thinking way to far in advanced.

Someone out there, if you're feeling similar or have felt similar before.... please reply or post something. We need to support each other as best we can!

Last edited by sre9900; 02-25-2015 at 11:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 03:25 PM

5,075 posts, read 14,956,635 times
My anxiety/panic was (what I believe) to be a combination of serotonin deficiency & control issues. I'm taking an SSRI (Zoloft) to block the serotonin re-absorption and going to therapy for the control issues. My anxiety & panic was so bad I was not sleeping--at one point, I had slept 10 hours in 5 days.

I've been on Zoloft for 3 weeks and what a difference it has made for me. I've been to only 2 therapy sessions, but my therapist is happy with my progress. I am learning to identify my control issues and finding healthier ways to deal with things I cannot control.

Someone in the Anxiety/panic thread posted this years ago and it really struck a chord with me...."Instead of focusing on the 'what if's', just say, 'so what!'.

I don't think medication is for everyone, but it certainly helped me and I will gladly stay on it until my doctor feels I can do without it.

I hope you find some relief soon.

Old 02-25-2015, 03:45 PM

3,954 posts, read 7,171,307 times
I left my job last summer and my anxiety greatly subsided over the past few months. Magnesium really helped me. You might consider a supplement; the Calm powder will help if you don't sleep well. Exercise helps too.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:27 PM

3 posts, read 8,545 times
eggalegga :

I was on zoloft for a few years in college, back when I really identified my anxiety was. I am not quite sure what triggered it to be so intense, but lately I have been feeling those same anxious feelings and thoughts. I think the zoloft did not work well with me though. Your lack of sleep, sounds like my lack of appetite. :/

The feeling of other things being out of our control does sounds familiar to me, and I hope that the zoloft is working you! Has your therapist done Cognitive behavior therapy with you? i found that it helped me identify some of my problems and it also taught me how to breath more. Which has me thinking.... perhaps we should pursue Yoga? Maybe it will be something that relaxes us/ something that we can take our own control over. Thought of that while I was typing this!

Thank you for the "so what" quote, I am going to try to live by that. I hope you find some relief as well. Im rooting for the both of us!

Old 02-25-2015, 07:00 PM

1,202 posts, read 575,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sre9900 View Post
What anxiety makes me feel like on a day-to-day basis seemed like a good place to start.... does any body else out there get a "butterfly" or "fluttering" feeling in their stomach? I am constantly waking up feeling like this, it goes throughout the day until I go to sleep again.

Being in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy a few years ago did seem to help, while it provided different ways of handling anxiety. But now that I am 24 years old, it seems to have re-entered my life and I do not know how to put a grasp on it. What do you do? I have been told by my current therapist that I really need to increase my exercise and that would help....especially since medication is something I want to stay away from.

Have any other people with anxiety been on an anxiety reducing medication in the past? It seemed to make me foggy, not think straight, and gain a ton of weight. What other solutions are there? Have been tested for ADD/ADHD, which neither I have. I do have "generalized anxiety disorder" but I think there is something more.

Am I the only one that feels this ridiculous butterfly feeling???.... I ask because I am struggling to find any one else with this odd symptom.

some more symptoms include,
-inability to think straight or clearly, resulting in writing down everything in order to complete it. The best way to really explain this feeling is what someone used in another post and that is a feeling of cotton balls ( fuzziness/difficult to process thoughts)
-anxiety
-organization is difficult mentally/physically
-constantly anxious but unable to identify why
- nausous/ loss of appetite due to increased anxiety
- shortness of breath, panic ( does not happen often)
- paranoid/overthinking/ thinking way to far in advanced.

Someone out there, if you're feeling similar or have felt similar before.... please reply or post something. We need to support each other as best we can!
I had some of the same symptoms especially the anxious unable to identify why and the overthinking and thinking too far in advance. I had a prescription for Xanax and it worked but made me tired so I discontinued I have also tried Ativan which seems to work good. I used both only as needed and really only when I could feel the anxiety affecting me badly that day. I am not longer taking either but would not hesitate if I ever go through another rough patch.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:41 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,650,885 times
Someone dear to me suffered greatly from anxiety and was diagnosed with an anxiety psychosis. One of the things he had to do were relaxation exercises. His doctor said he needed to teach his body how to relax. Perhaps you need to do that, too. Back then he was also given electric shock treatments while in a sanitarium for 3 weeks. The psychotic part of his illness may have been why he had the shock treatments.

I don't recall any mention of the butterfly feeling, but that doesn't mean he didn't have it. I just don't know. There was a terrible tortured look in his eyes. The medicine and exercises helped a lot. He did recover for a few years, but it came back. I don't think commiserating with a fellow sufferer would be beneficial, but I could be wrong.

I have SLE (lupus) and my efforts to attend support groups were not successful as it only caused me to think about it way too much and I had to stop. Other people didn't like my presence either, because I didn't look sick. They couldn't understand why I was there.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:15 AM

5,075 posts, read 14,956,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sre9900 View Post
eggalegga :

I was on zoloft for a few years in college, back when I really identified my anxiety was. I am not quite sure what triggered it to be so intense, but lately I have been feeling those same anxious feelings and thoughts. I think the zoloft did not work well with me though. Your lack of sleep, sounds like my lack of appetite. :/

The feeling of other things being out of our control does sounds familiar to me, and I hope that the zoloft is working you! Has your therapist done Cognitive behavior therapy with you? i found that it helped me identify some of my problems and it also taught me how to breath more. Which has me thinking.... perhaps we should pursue Yoga? Maybe it will be something that relaxes us/ something that we can take our own control over. Thought of that while I was typing this!

Thank you for the "so what" quote, I am going to try to live by that. I hope you find some relief as well. Im rooting for the both of us!
I've researched CBT online. Not sure if my therapist would label what she's helping me with could be CBT, but I started out with mindfulness. That has helped. I use breathing as my anchor to try to work through my anxious thoughts.

My anxiety/panic was triggered when I adopted a dog. She was my fourth dog, but I was worried I wouldn't be able to train her to my satisfaction (control issues). Instead of being excited & happy to finally have another dog after being without one for 13 months, I was worrying about every little aspect of her fitting into my life & being a good pet parent. I searched online for her for 13 months. I knew I wanted a particular breed, gender & age which was difficult to find. So all of my patience had worn thin. The last dog I adopted, I got 1 month after the dog previous to that one was euthanized. So no long delay like this time around.

Things are so much better now, 3 weeks later. I've been walking her everyday so that helps with my exercise needs. I thought about meditation or yoga, but finding quiet time at home is a rarity. If I'm idle, she wants my attention. Relaxing or meditating would be a challenge with a barking dog.

My sister has issues with focusing/completing tasks. She is taking a SNRI.

I found this online:
Quote:
Norepinephrine is responsible for stimulatory processes in the body and helps in the Making of epinephrine. Low levels of norepinephrine are associated with low energy, decreased focus ability, and sleep cycle problems. This neurotransmitter can also cause anxiety and “mood dampening” effects at elevated excretion levels.
Quote:
Dopamine is the main focus neurotransmitter. When dopamine is either elevated or low - focus issues may arise such as daydreaming and not being able to stay on task. Dopamine is also responsible for our drive and motivation. Stimulants cause dopamine to be pushed into the synapse so that focus is improved.
Maybe you could do further research (and see your doctor) to see if these might be contributing to your issues.

Thanks for your kind words

Old 02-26-2015, 01:16 PM

84,022 posts, read 77,081,201 times
OP, there are a number of things you can try. It seems there's a hormone or neurotransmitter imbalance (as one poster said--possibly a deficiency of calming neurotransmitters, like serotonin and dopamine). But there might be an underlying cause to that, such as something wrong with your sympathetic/parasympathetic nervous system. There could be an adrenal disturbance or deficiency. So, where to start?

Try the easiest, most natural interventions, first (before resorting to medications): take a look at your diet. Do you eat a lot of sweets, carbs, caffeine? One thing that dramatically helps balance the adrenal hormones (excess stress hormones are at the root of that "butterflies" feeling) is a low-carb, higher protein diet. (I'm not making this up. This was prescribed by an MD when I had your symptoms.) Cut back on sweets and refined starches (white rice, potatoes, white bread, starchy and sweet fruits like bananas, pineapple). Make sure you get solid protein with each meal (fish, poultry, dairy, meat, eggs). Snack on cheese and a few apple slices, not sweets/starch. See if that helps.

Acupuncture can calm the nervous system. Try it for 4 weeks, and see if there's improvement. Look for a Japanese acupuncturist, or someone trained in Taiwan or Hong Kong--someone who does the old-timey techniques, not the "new" acupuncture devised by Mao, which dominates acupuncture schools in the West.

If you don't experience relief, find an MD or a naturopathic doctor who administers the Adrenal Stress Index Test. (You'll have to do a Google search.) This will tell you what your adrenal hormones ( the basis of your sympathetic/parasympathetic nervous system) are doing over a 24-hr. period. You could also ask your primary care doc for a full hormone work-up; you may be deficient in progesterone, a calming hormone.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 02-26-2015 at 01:38 PM..

Old 03-23-2015, 11:00 AM

1,831 posts, read 2,555,606 times
I get something similar, but in my chest instead of the stomach. It's especially bad at night the last 2 weeks. Every time I start to fall asleep it's like there's a 'shock' that wakes me up...like a jolt in my chest. It's usually not even connected to a thought...it just happens. I did slow down on the exercise...in January I was getting up every morning to work out and I slept great. So, after 2 hours of sleep, I got up at 5am thismorning to do 45 minutes on the treadmill. I'm hoping it works.

I usually don't get it during the daytime, unless something specific is bothering me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or