U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2015, 09:35 PM

10,019 posts, read 9,680,809 times

Advertisements

I don't know where to put this post/question so here I am.

I have never taken Xanax and I have a biopsy procedure coming up that has upset me. I am healthy and hate the thoughts of someone digging around in my body when I don't seem (to me at least) to have any problems. But the tests from a physical seems to tell a different story.

Since the test I have been back to my OB/GYN doc two times to discuss, why can't we just leave this alone. So he said this week no, you need this biopsy and he gave me a prescription for Xanax 0.5MG TAB. He told me to take one tablet an hour before I leave my home and one tablet when I arrive.

What does this stuff do?? I realize my anxiety level is high and thought perhaps this will calm me down. But he told me not to drive myself. That doesn't seem like a strong dosage either but I am not familiar with Xanax.

Anyone taking or have used Xanax please help. If it gives me that "I don't care what you do to me dig around in my body snip and clip all you want" that is fine.

Thank you for any advice.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 10:00 PM

8,632 posts, read 14,347,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
I don't know where to put this post/question so here I am.

I have never taken Xanax and I have a biopsy procedure coming up that has upset me. I am healthy and hate the thoughts of someone digging around in my body when I don't seem (to me at least) to have any problems. But the tests from a physical seems to tell a different story.

Since the test I have been back to my OB/GYN doc two times to discuss, why can't we just leave this alone. So he said this week no, you need this biopsy and he gave me a prescription for Xanax 0.5MG TAB. He told me to take one tablet an hour before I leave my home and one tablet when I arrive.

What does this stuff do?? I realize my anxiety level is high and thought perhaps this will calm me down. But he told me not to drive myself. That doesn't seem like a strong dosage either but I am not familiar with Xanax.

Anyone taking or have used Xanax please help. If it gives me that "I don't care what you do to me dig around in my body snip and clip all you want" that is fine.

Thank you for any advice.
First off Xanas is a Benzo, they will work on you for sure . The warning is this type of drug can be habitat forming, and withdrawal from Benzos can be hell on earth ! The amount prescribed is nothing to worry about, just do not continue after you have had the procedure for more than a few days, it's a great drug for fear and anxiety . It is strong stuff taken in larger amounts. Actually Heroin would be better and should you become addicted, the withdrawal is less violent than Xanax. The problem is it's illegal . You will be fine and relaxed, good luck with the test.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:09 PM

4,801 posts, read 7,484,812 times
Xanax is an anti-anxiety medication...I took it once before a surgery, it does relax you and is very common to give to people prior to surgery. Also, it is highly addictive is taken over a period of time. As I recall, you can't drive after taking it because as with any meds of this type you don't know how you will react to it (sleepy, etc.). I've had a couple of biopsies, they really aren't that bad and it's better to check out what's going on (if anything). The worry beforehand is worse than the actual procedure! I'm sure you'll be fine.

Old 03-03-2015, 10:21 PM

Thanks to both of you, my doc only gave me five little pills, no chance of getting hooked on that amount. I just want to get through this and put it behind me, cause I know there is nothing wrong with me. They are just trying to drive me crazy.

Old 03-04-2015, 06:46 PM

6,066 posts, read 3,335,852 times
It just takes the edge off.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:11 PM

343 posts, read 357,657 times
Very fast acting drug, does not last long, wears off too quickly...Maybe just take Valium?

Old 03-04-2015, 08:53 PM

He gave me the Rx, 5 each of the 0.5MG TAB of Xanax and I had it filled. You think I can take all 5 of the tablets? That was why I was asking on the forum if anyone that has taken Xanax. That 0.5 MG doesn't seem like a really heavy dosage. But I have never taken a Xanax and I checked out WebMD and another site and the sites didn't really answer my question.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:57 PM

6,478 posts, read 6,481,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
He gave me the Rx, 5 each of the 0.5MG TAB of Xanax and I had it filled. You think I can take all 5 of the tablets? That was why I was asking on the forum if anyone that has taken Xanax. That 0.5 MG doesn't seem like a really heavy dosage. But I have never taken a Xanax and I checked out WebMD and another site and the sites didn't really answer my question.
Take it EXACTLY as prescribed or don't take it at all.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:16 PM

31,893 posts, read 35,223,218 times
You will be taking 2 tablets for a total of 1mg, you are just spacing them out a little to keep you calm longer. You will not need all 5!!! I can't even imagine what would happen if you did that! I think his instructions for you are right on.

I have some Xanax that was prescribed to me during a stressful time in my life. They are 1mg each and I only ever had to take a whole one 3-4 times ever, and usually I went right to sleep after because I was already in too much of a state to be worth anything. The rest of the time I just broke them in half to get .5ml and it was fine. That's what my Dr said to do.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
You will be taking 2 tablets for a total of 1mg, you are just spacing them out a little to keep you calm longer. You will not need all 5!!! I can't even imagine what would happen if you did that! I think his instructions for you are right on.

I have some Xanax that was prescribed to me during a stressful time in my life. They are 1mg each and I only ever had to take a whole one 3-4 times ever, and usually I went right to sleep after because I was already in too much of a state to be worth anything. The rest of the time I just broke them in half to get .5ml and it was fine. That's what my Dr said to do.

Thank you, I wondered if it would just relax me, I didn't want to be knocked out as hubby drives me to the hospital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health