U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 05:15 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,203,129 times

Advertisements

totally agree.
esp about the DSM.
Psychiatrists do more harm than good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Swanson View Post
Further, the DSM-V is complete garbage and has not a shred of validity. It is full of made up and voted on "diseases."

The HEAD of the American Psychiatric Association and National Institutes of Mental Health , Dr. Tom Insel, came out and said psychiatry is NOT science and the DSM-V is garbageand full of NON- science. It is all VOTED ON and MADE UP at conferences. NO OBJECTIVITY whatsoever.

Insel wants to ABANDON the field in favor of NEUROLOGY.
That is a very damaging to psychiatry..... Their own leader thinks it is nonsense.

NASA SCIENTIST PAUL LUTUS exposes psychiatry as WITCH DOCTOR nonsense.

CHALLENGE psychiatrists immediately. Expose them. Make society science literate and take away ALL their power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 08:48 AM

17,086 posts, read 10,640,603 times
Psychology =/= Psychiatry

Old 06-12-2015, 11:35 AM

275 posts, read 267,769 times
well, they work for me. My life is much different now than it used to be (in a good way), before I started taking medication. It's fine if you don't believe in them, but for me it was my saving grace.

Old 06-12-2015, 08:08 PM

6,427 posts, read 3,248,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azul91 View Post
well, they work for me. My life is much different now than it used to be (in a good way), before I started taking medication. It's fine if you don't believe in them, but for me it was my saving grace.
For me too but psychiatrists were unable to help my son.
Quote:
Perhaps the alt-supplement companies are sending their shills around again, since trashing "big pharma" and the medical community is the only way they can convince people to shell out millions on their untested, unproven, often fraudulent quackery.
Perhaps but I found 'alternative' supplements to be a life saver. Not alternative 'medicines', just supplements and not in place of medication. The supplements complimented the medicines. Ever heard of winter blues? Vitamin D. That sort of thing.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:15 PM

7,667 posts, read 7,031,539 times
like the chiropractors that tell you that you have 'subluxations' and use that silly little plunger on you that does absolutely nothing...

Old 06-17-2015, 09:45 PM

613 posts, read 1,033,970 times
I must be ahead of my time.. I've been saying for decades that psychiatric 'doctors' should NOT be allowed to administer- or worse, force anyone against their will (i.e., a hospitalized psychiatric patient) to take psych drugs UNLESS and UNTIL they have a brain scan that shows EXACTLY what is going on inside their head, on a neurological/chemical level. Maybe someday they will invent such detailed diagnostic equipment.
But to use people as guines pigs, drugging them based on 'guesswork' is at best irresponsible and at worst, barbaric. And should be ILLEGAL.
And we all know why it's not, there's way too much money to be made by big pharma...

Old 06-18-2015, 09:25 PM

1,365 posts, read 851,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by opalminor View Post
I must be ahead of my time.. I've been saying for decades that psychiatric 'doctors' should NOT be allowed to administer- or worse, force anyone against their will (i.e., a hospitalized psychiatric patient) to take psych drugs UNLESS and UNTIL they have a brain scan that shows EXACTLY what is going on inside their head, on a neurological/chemical level. Maybe someday they will invent such detailed diagnostic equipment.
But to use people as guines pigs, drugging them based on 'guesswork' is at best irresponsible and at worst, barbaric. And should be ILLEGAL.
And we all know why it's not, there's way too much money to be made by big pharma...
You must be a Libertarian. That's a very Libertarian point of view-- it shouldn't be in the power of a State-sanctioned person to take away the liberty of another person who is of lesser status; and certainly not to declare someone "certifiably" "crazy" and limit that person's life due to that "certification".

Old 06-18-2015, 11:11 PM

6,322 posts, read 5,073,209 times
^
Yup. When I worked for a FOR PROFIT insurance company, the term "righteous indignation" was one of the first things we were taught.

Oh and PS- I've known many witches in my life (ie, those who practice Wicca.) They do not "doctor" at all.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:33 AM

492 posts, read 336,286 times
I think of counseling and medication as a tool in my arsenal that allows me to live a normal, happy, high-functioning life. I take great care of myself - I eat well, exercise daily, meditate, and do what I can to minimize stress. I'm a healthcare professional with a doctorate, currently working on a second. I can say in no uncertain terms that if I did not use medication and go to a counselor occasionally, there is no way that the events of my childhood and the resulting anxiety, and traumas later in life, would not have completely immobilized me.

Old 06-20-2015, 07:34 AM

372 posts, read 433,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Unfortunately, more people than not, actually believe that a shrink can/will help them.
Guess some people just like taking mind altering drugs.

Psychiatric drugs should be used to help people get through the crisis, enough to do the psychological work necessary to discontinue medications.

In some cases, brain chemistry requires ongoing pharmaceuticals.

Mostly however, people want a quick fix--take a pill--and ignore the "working through" of psychological issues.

As a result, the brain gets accustomed to the medication, and the process of "medication hopping" over the years creates a litany of physical and psychological problems.

Big Pharma drug companies drive the process, and people can be naive about the complexity of the situation, relying on MD's who are more physiology driven, than psychologically trained.

Often--people know--at rock bottom--what they need to do... and fear--laziness--habit--convenience keeps them from choosing a healthier, happier life.

We need, and want the support of others, but in many families, we get turned around, and our instincts and personal authority become undermined and we stop trusting ourselves.

Unfortunately, psychiatry is in its infancy.

It's more of an art (and a crap shoot) than a precise science...

Because the variability is human beings, and the complexity of physiology/cognition/emotions with environmental (social/nutrition/behavioral) factors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health