U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 07:52 PM

5,445 posts, read 3,727,193 times

Advertisements

ALANAN

But you should leave him, no
Other way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2015, 07:13 AM

15,307 posts, read 23,376,422 times
My wife, MrsGowdog, calls it Alanot.

Old 04-05-2015, 02:40 PM

5,339 posts, read 3,761,365 times
Default Family

I am the youngest of 3 daughters. Dad was a violent drunk, Mom drank to watch how much Dad drank, sisters forgot the misery we all went through. By the grace of God, I didn't get the drinking gene. But I sure did get the behavior.
I went to counseling, al-anon meetings, codependent-no-more meetings. At some point I realized I had to break off with the whole family.
Now, so many years later, with three out of the four drinkers dead and the fourth dying, I think about all the lost family years and I must say I wonder if I did the right thing. They were victims, too, not just me. I reached out for help; they did not. I tried to help middle sister but she could not handle recovery. It's not easy as most recovery people will tell you.
Now my children do not have a relationship with me for various reasons; of course I'm never told what they are. Old saying you can't fix something you don't know what is broken.
I'm now 73 and feeling quite alone and very lonely. I don't know what I would say to someone who was struggling with this same problem. Gut instinct is good, never ignore it. Save yourself is something you must do. But no matter what you do, it can still turn out to be a very big emotional mess.

Old 04-06-2015, 12:56 AM

1,622 posts, read 1,421,190 times
You say nothing because you aren't there anymore. All they care about is there drugs......

Old 04-07-2015, 09:29 AM

11,945 posts, read 10,939,073 times
He is the only one that can make the effort to stop-sad as it is there is nothing you can do. I have some personal experience with it and have (had) very good friends that are addicted to oxys-it is an awful, awful addiction. They are not "there" ever -and will always be high or thinking about how to get high. They will lie about using, about spending/getting money and the lies will only beget more lying.

It's true that there are real withdrawal symptoms- flu like symptoms and achy legs/arms when an oxy addict stops using but I still believe that the mental aspect is #1. Suboxone and methadone can help withdrawal symptoms but they can also become another addiction-I have known people that have gone to rehab for suboxone.

When the time comes, he'll stop but it's never guaranteed and it could be years from now and I'm sure you deserve better.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:23 AM

194 posts, read 153,099 times
Get him some kava. Its helped many an addict reach sobriety.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...f_rd_i=desktop

Old 04-10-2015, 06:24 AM

162 posts, read 126,817 times
Opiates addicts are the worst. They get clean then Xanax then they are back on opiates. It really sucks because they make a bad name for anyone who NEEDS Xanax.

Really really ask yourself is it truly worth it? Is it worth the shady people, the possible overdoses, jail time, etc. I've seen opiates addicts turn their lives around. But if you give them the benefit of the doubt they will run with that. Tell him he either gets clean and gets his mental health in order or you leave. Don't fall for any tricks. It's simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health