U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2015, 08:15 AM

6,119 posts, read 8,786,349 times

Advertisements

I've struggled with periods of depression and anxiety for my entire life. I had a childhood that was turbulent at times even though I have a good relationship with my parents as an adult. I also went through a divorce five years ago that left me devastated. I’m not upset about the divorce anymore, but my self esteem still hasn’t recovered. About a month ago I felt like I was spiraling out of control more than usual. I've been dating someone new since August and it's frequently long distance which has my tendency to worry and over analyze in over drive.

I feel empty a lot and like life is meaningless. I wouldn't hurt myself, but sometimes I wish I didn't exist, so that I could feel nothing. I’m so tired of trying to be happy. There are a lot of good things and good people in my life. I know I should be grateful and that just makes me feel even worse because there are so many people struggling just to survive and here I am with a home, food to eat, healthy (at least physically), and a job.

A month or so ago I decided I needed some help, so I finally found a therapist and I felt like it was helping. It’s my fault as I should have checked prior to, but I just got the bill yesterday and I can’t afford to keep going. I assumed my insurance would cover at least a portion of my visits, but they aren’t and it’s $100 per session. I simply can’t afford $400 dollars of therapy a month. I’m going to have to use my meager savings to pay off the sessions I already went.

It just seems like every time I try to take a positive step, I get knocked down. I don’t even know what to do next. I guess I just needed to vent – put this out into the world somewhere. I’m pretty sure all my friends are exhausted of listening to me try to sort myself out, and I feel like I don’t have anyone to talk to. And now I don’t even have a therapist. I feel so lost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 12:33 PM

6,311 posts, read 5,136,406 times
Contact your benefits department and find out what mental health therapy is covered. Perhaps some is and that might offer you some relief.

Old 03-11-2015, 01:04 PM

3,284 posts, read 5,015,292 times
This might sound crazy, but changing my diet had a huge impact on my depression. In particular, eliminating wheat made me feel worlds better. I recommend reading Wheat Belly or Wheat Belly Total Health, if you can get either from your library. The difference really has been huge. Once I cut wheat out I was able to get off of anti-depressants and I've never looked back.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:02 PM

3,284 posts, read 5,015,292 times
Actually, depression is the topic if a recent post in the Wheat Belly blog:

Depression: Why not START with a nutritional solution? - Dr. William Davis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or