Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2015, 02:07 PM

2 posts, read 2,168 times

Advertisements

Now, i know that any answers I get here aren't professional and I shouldn't take them as a diagnosis, but this has been eating at me.

I've read about things such as sociopathy and antisocial disorders, but i'm not sure

i'll get straight to what it's like

i don't really feel like i have a sense of empathy for others, i don't genuinely care about people. i don't feel bad for the people who you see on the news, civilians in war zones and such. not even people i know do i really have empathy for them for anything that happens to them. i have a boyfriend who i know loves me very much, but i feel, sort of indifferent to him. if he were to die i know that i wouldn't care at all. i'm very good at being likable but i don't feel anything, i'm just acting, it seems like. i don't really get lonely at all and people describe me as being kinda antisocial? i don't seek out people to talk to them or be friends, if they come up to me then ok but i never actually try. a lot of times i think out very well thought out scenarios of killing or having the people i know die, i know that this happens randomly to most people, but i do it a lot of times a day and i feel like i could really carry it out.
i'm just generally wondering if i have anything or if i'm just a bit strange.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 02:39 PM

997 posts, read 1,060,957 times
If you are frequently going over well thought out scenarios of killing people, and actually believe that you could go through with it, I'd say it's definitely time to seek therapy.

The fact that you are questioning whether you have some type of disorder is positive.

Go get help immediately, and best wishes.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:24 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
Sounds like you could use the services of someone who could help you sort out your feelings and why you feel that way. You could just be a private person, and perhaps a bit eccentric...it's your "very well thought out scenarios of killing or having people I know die" that's the most concerning in your post.
Do you think those thoughts could be your way of trying to (make yourself) feel empathy for others?...of trying to feel concern?...wanting to feel concern?
I agree with the above post....seek help, and find or learn how to turn those negative thoughts and feeling into something positive that'll work better for you...goodluck.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:04 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,767,316 times
Definitely agree that she needs to get some therapy right now. My gut tells me that OP, with her lack of affect, lack of empathy, and thoughts of death, sounds like someone with deep and chronic depression. But of course I cannot diagnose, which is why she needs to see somebody professional ASAP.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:09 PM

18,526 posts, read 18,744,531 times
A lot depends on your upbringing... children who have been neglected and not loved dont have the same brain developed to cope with empathy.. or so Ive read... https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...-women-and-men

Old 03-11-2015, 02:43 PM

749 posts, read 920,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
A lot depends on your upbringing... children who have been neglected and not loved dont have the same brain developed to cope with empathy.. or so Ive read... https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...-women-and-men
Regardless whatever issues he/she has had as a child, this person needs to see a psychiatrist to help in sorting out its feelings........and make a determination of what is really happening....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health