U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2015, 08:27 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,367,791 times

Advertisements

I am wondering if it might be harmful for a person to keep aggressive(and possibly violent) tendencies inside a persons mind and body instead of doing something physical to release them. I don't mean something physical as in violence but there probably are many different ways to release those tensions. Someone once said that kicking when swimming helped him release some pent up feelings. Punching a punching bag would seem to a way to that. It would seem that to keep anger and aggressiveness inside could lead to some problems like maybe a chemical imbalance and/or the lowering of a persons immune system. If a person feels anger and aggressiveness swelling up inside it seems that person would feel a tightening of their muscles and a contraction of their arteries. Of course the best way to deal with such feelings would be to find out why they happen and then do something about them. But I think a lot of people feel what I am talking about. Maybe more than we realize but I think most people would rather not talk about it because it casts a negative light on themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 09:00 PM

18,494 posts, read 13,807,254 times
This is why therapists have water floating things or foam bats
or tennis rackets in their offices to hit pillows.
Scream alone in your car while squeezing the steering wheel thinking it is someones's neck...You won't last 5 minutes doing thsat!
Anger or aggression ....all gone....like
letting off steam...on TV they show women throwing plates...same thing...
You 'redirect'.

And yes, of course, it is unhealthy to swallow anger...or have it in the first place.
There must be medical studies on it...I'm no expert.

Old 03-16-2015, 04:51 PM

5,697 posts, read 5,627,315 times
deal with anger not pretend its not there
it will explode sooner or later
stuffing any feelings is unhealthy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health