U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 04:06 PM

4,287 posts, read 3,142,612 times

Advertisements

IMO if it happens again, you should call the police. How would you feel if you didn't call and something horrible happened? If he is making this up, then he might understand there are consequences for his lies. If someone hears voices (or says they do) and those voices are telling them to do bad things, they should be evaluated immediately by a mental health professional (easier said than done, I know). At the very least, your sister should speak with her primary care physician ASAP to figure out how to deal with this. I don't think talking to him at this point is going to change any of his behavior if it hasn't in the past. I'd be willing to bet money, he'll just say what he thinks she wants to hear so she'll leave him alone. She needs professional help to figure out how to address this correctly and effectively. My heart goes out to your sister, it sounds like she's in a tough spot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 04:59 AM

6,322 posts, read 5,070,677 times
"It seems to me it would be very valuable to have him evaluated for mental illness by a psychiatric facility, but how to make that happen"

^ When he makes another statement like that, and it sounds like he probably will, call the police or make sure someone else does. Depending on your state, they may take him to the ER for an evaluation

That is if he will not go willingly in the near future on his own. Have someone he respects talk to him about doing so.

Old 03-19-2015, 06:17 PM

18,241 posts, read 16,784,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quailin View Post
I don't disagree that the problem may be mental illness.
How long has it been since he's had a physical? Your sister needs to strongly suggest that he see a doctor. She can call it a simple check up but she needs to make sure he goes in, and she may have to accompany him. Untreated schizophrenia is dangerous.

Quote:
When she gets home from work, the problem Nephew is gone from the house, out with his friends and no telling when he'll be home.
This is concerning.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:50 PM

67 posts, read 72,120 times
I'm not sure how long it's been since he's had a physical -- I'll ask. He is asthmatic and probably he's only been seen for that in the last couple years or so.

The "absence factor" -- that he's not home when my sister gets home from work. This has been a very long-time pattern with him, being out with friends to all hours and coming home when he wants to. He usually does come home every night, although sometimes not, and when he does it is usually late. My sister reports that he'll come home late and want to talk with her, but she has to get to bed by 10:30 in order to be up for work next day, so late at night is not a time she can talk with him.

As for the Nephew's older brother ... they get along decently, but they are two very different people and the Nephew with the problem won't listen to advice from his older brother, so that won't work.

I've been talking via emails with my sister about this matter for the last couple of days, and I've been stressing how serious a matter I think it is, and she is not disagreeing but seems to be putting her focus mainly on what has already been done to try to address the issue in the past. He has been to counseling with either a psychologist or psychiatrist, who said that he was a normal teenager with typical teenage angst. He apparently also had mentioned to the Nephew that he had an over-active imagination. This counselor wanted to continue to see the Nephew, but the Nephew didn't want to continue -- why not is a good question, my sister wonders if the counselor was getting too close to something.

Will suggest the physical check-up to her and see if that might work.

Old 03-22-2015, 11:40 AM

5,697 posts, read 5,625,928 times
and while all of this is debated on a message board
nothing is done
if I have someone telling me they hear voices telling them to burn the house down
I will not run to a message board
I will report them

Old 03-26-2015, 02:48 AM

67 posts, read 72,120 times
Well, actually something "is" being done. My sister and her husband are in the process of getting my Nephew seen and evaluated by a psychiatrist -- it's not something that they can just get an immediate appointment for, but it's in the works and will happen as soon as possible.

As to why my husband didn't call and report it to the police, I thought I'd been clear that my Nephew has employed talk like this now and then for several years, but nothing of real concern has come from it, i.e., he has not DONE any of the things he has claimed "voices" have told him to do. My husband naturally didn't want to get the kid into trouble with the police if it was all just talk, as in the past. The point beyond that is that he is NOT really "a kid" anymore, he's 22 years old and should be grown out of this immaturity if immaturity is all it is. The question is why does he do it, why hasn't he grown out of it, etc. Maybe there is a mental problem beyond immaturity.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:25 PM

5,697 posts, read 5,625,928 times
you can get an emergency hold on him if he is making threats to kill people
he will not get in trouble with police it will help him to get some help, because he is very troubled
do what you will but in the mean time he is going to get worse

Old 03-26-2015, 06:52 PM

10,060 posts, read 18,063,636 times
Quote:
I don't disagree that the problem may be mental illness. It's easy to think it isn't that, because this kid is very intelligent (although he didn't do his best in school), has been very athletic, is gifted musically and artistically, is *very* funny when he's in the mood, etc. He also has a good heart, is kind to animals and very loyal to his friends and willing to help anyone. All that being said, I do realize that if it may be schizophrenia, quite a few have historically been artistically and musically gifted, and quite a few comedians' gifts come from their mental/emotional turmoils.
Yes just chiming in to say that a high IQ and gifts does not keep people from being mentally ill. Also, I know a couple of people with Schizophrenia who are very kind--it's not the same as a personality disorder. Remember that movie A Beautiful Mind? That man was a genius.

Old 03-27-2015, 07:12 AM

18,241 posts, read 16,784,886 times
Quote:
he is NOT really "a kid" anymore, he's 22 years old and should be grown out of this immaturity if immaturity is all it is. The question is why does he do it, why hasn't he grown out of it, etc. Maybe there is a mental problem beyond immaturity.
He is certainly being helped to remain this way if, as you said, he does not have a job, doesn't go to school, stays out until the early hours of the morning, and little to nothing is required of him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or