U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2015, 06:31 PM

4,835 posts, read 4,975,976 times

Advertisements

For starters: I have already been diagnosed with PTSD and anxiety but not depression.

I have had hip/lower back problems for about 8 years now. It was manageable until about 2010/2011 when I became pregnant and had my daughter. The pain is 10 fold now. Sometimes I can't walk, or stand up straight. My 3 year old sometimes help me put my shoes on. I have a hard time getting dressed sometimes due to the pain. I finally saw an orthopedist in January. I had x-rays done and found out I have scoliosis, Osteorathitis of the hip and degenerative disc disease. I am getting a shot in 2 weeks and will go from there but I've lost all hope that I will ever get better.

I turned 30 in October and I feel like I have no quality of life. I have been in pain continuously since October. Every single day. I have stopped working out and I have put on weight. I realize this doesn't help the condition but I am so down in the dumps that I don't want to get out of bed in the morning. I can't remember the last time I smiled. I am very irritated and moody. I have missed work a few times due to a sinus infection and then Gastroentiris. I feel that I've gotten sick a lot lately.

I take Ibuprofen for the pain sometimes. Other times I just suck it up. I was given Percocet and it masks the pain pretty well but I do not like the high it gives me. So
I don't take it often. (maybe once every several weeks). I can't take Vicodin anymore (liver issues) and it was the only medicine that didn't make me loopy.

I feel depressed. (not suicidal) The pain is not helping. I feel very discouraged. I haven't seen my therapist this year yet due to insurance costs (I just met my deductible last week and will hopefully see her in April).

Anyone can relate to this? Depression caused by pain or something similar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2015, 07:08 PM

183 posts, read 284,317 times
OP, I can't relate to you entirely but it's definitely understandable if you already have issues to deal with the pain can definitely put you over the edge into clinical depression. I have depression and anxiety issues myself and the severe lower back pain (degenerative and separate from the scoliosis I also have too) and recent knee surgery (may or may not help alot, certainly wasn't a panacea in my case) certainly doesn't help my disposition. I'm older (53) so at your age this must be truly discouraging; my sympathies.

I get no relief from tylenol, advil, etc. and the only thing that helps me is along with working out (weights and cardio) is yoga and/or extensive stretching routines. After 2 and at most 3 days I am seriously stiff and in pain. The stretching and yoga is the only thing that takes the pressure off the nerves in my spine or I would be bed bound. I also sit in the sauna at the gym before and after I do anything and use ice packs when I get home.

I know this may or may not have been much help but at least you will know somebody out there sympathizes with you. The disability and depression can feed on each other in a vicious cycle that I know to well. Good luck with everything, sincerely.

Old 03-20-2015, 07:37 PM

335 posts, read 1,385,288 times
Default Absolutely can relate...

I had a run of about 14 mos. recently, when there wasn't a day without pain. It definitely affected my mood. Not being able to walk or do "normal" activities was very depressing. And my issues weren't nearly as serious as yours. The number of doctors I had to see before I found someone who made a proper diagnosis AND treatment plan was ridiculous and added to my frustration. When I was at my lowest, I felt like giving up. But I guess my stubbornness overcame that, and I refused to believe that constant pain was acceptable.

I am sorry to hear of your illness and hope you can find someone who can help. Don't give up hope.

Old 03-22-2015, 04:38 PM

4,835 posts, read 4,975,976 times
Thanks....

I've been in bed since Friday night; I have only gotten up to use the restroom. My sciatic nerve has flared up. I can't walk without assistance (and even then the pain is unberable). Finally at 2 am today I woke up and could not move my right leg. The pain got much worse overnight. It hurts from my right buttock to my right calf. The pain in the calf is like a cramp that doesn't go away. The only position that gives me some relief is squatting. I headed to the ER (someone took me there) at 3 am and was given steroids, narcotics and something else morphine like. I had great relief until a couple hours ago. The pain is back but about 85% of what it was last time. I've tried stretches and taking more Oxycodone. (Only half a tablet)

I am so upset, crying, feeling lost. I have a beautiful 3 year old little girl and I can't even play with her or hold her. This is not supposed to be my life.

I have used up all of my alloted sick time at work (I have called in 6 times since last August due to illnesses (mine and my daughter's). I can't afford to lose my job but at the same time I can't even walk. My life is just a mess. Two weeks ago my boss gave me a verbal warning about missing work. I don't know what to do.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:26 AM

537 posts, read 498,189 times
I truly have compassion for you and your position. Basically you can either take these addictive pain meds and have some quality of life, or keep living in pain. Generally both have bad end results but given a lose lose situation you need to decide which is the lesser. I have an old friend who blew out his back at age 19 on a construction site. Multiple surgeries and years later he was hopelessly addicted to oxycodone. He needed it to get out of bed and live life, but it was killing him slowly since naturally over time he needed more and more. He tired every procedure out with little to no luck. After about 7 years of this I think he just gave up. He overdosed and passed away at his kitchen table Will everyone who take strong pain meds end up like this? Absolutely not. Is it possible for anyone to get hopelessly addicted to them? Absolutely.

Being healthy myself I can not begin to understand this situation fully, but i do get it partially. I wish there was an alternative out there that was non-addicting but there isn't. Pain meds are a slippery slope for many people and I urge you to be VERY cautious. The minute that you think you are an exception and that you cannot possibly get addicted is the minute you are in for a life changing event that can be life ending in the long run.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:59 AM

2,094 posts, read 2,026,814 times
OP have you tried going to a body worker? Even with degenerative conditions massage and chiropractic work can help to alleviate a lot of the pain in your body. It has been a great help for me. I deal with chronic, severe knee pain due to injuries that occurred when I was younger.

Also consider acupuncture. I have mo experience with it myself but have friends who swear by it. Also, even tough it hurts you have to keep moving. The less you move the more your body will lock up on you and the pain will only get worse. I would give yoga a try as well. One with a instructor. Find a place that will let your child join in as well. That way you are doing something together that will benefit you both. The stretching and moving should help and it is gentle movement which you can do at your own pace.

I am sorry you have so much difficulty so early in life. No doubt your child is an excellent inspiration for you to keep trying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health