U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2015, 02:49 AM

15,481 posts, read 13,548,437 times

Advertisements

Yes I need supplements for my immune system as I seem to take everything thats going around.. been the same since a child. have severe allergies and need them .. Have Selenium.. Milk Thistle. B12. Zinc.Potters Echinacea plus.. Dont always have them all as they can be expensive but always have one or two of these supplements and no matter what any doctor or scientist says about them being bogus or not helping.. I think they dont want to go down that route of alternative help..If they wont help me I have to help myself......in face my daughter bought me a bag of these pills, special teas and seeds for my birthday... and was appreciated,,, she cant pick me clothes and I dont use fancy creams or perfumes.. so it was a good choice and will last me a long time.. I still have things not opened yet..
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 09:39 AM

1,358 posts, read 1,179,788 times
Hi, I also notice a pattern of when I am more anxious I tend to eat less and unless careful not as well. This can set up the anxiety even worse. So even if I have zero appetite on a really anxious day I eat at least 4-5 nuts and a glass of milk. I notice anxiety does something odd with our blood sugar.

Another thing is when you wake up anxious it is important not to just sit there or lay there. get up and if it is a pretty day go outside, water some plants, go for a mild walk. Sometimes it seems that exercise can be good for anxiety and I think it can, but if you are experiencing significant anxiety and do too much exercise you end up more anxious so you have to be careful. So I do a 20-30 minute medium paced walk. I think it has to do with starvation. If you are so anxious you are not eating much and then burn 300 calories the body goes into a nosedive.

All this I learned by trial and error. Also my doc gives me old school Valium which is not a problem for me because I rarely take it. But if I notice significant anxiety for 30 min. - 1 hour I take 1/4 to 1/2 a 5 mg. Valium. This then cuts the anxiety and usually by mid day it goes away on its own. I tend to get it more in the morning.

I used to feel bad if I took even that small an amount of Valium but I realize my foolishness can the cause me to not deal with it and then it gets spikes that go thru the day. Better to take a bit and bring it down a notch.

I also do breathing wherever I am at. Breathe in through the nose and out thru the mouth and say in my mind "in with good, out with bad". If you focus when you do this you can really reduce bad feelings, some anxiety and improve mood.

I also get in touch with my inner child and make jokes in my head about words. Like an example rhyme something with anxiety "anxiety schmanxiety". Bad example but you get it. I also visualize cute animals and my own pets when I can't be near them and that makes me smile. Also picturing random cute animals or watching cute animal videos helps.

When I am home, stroking my pets and focusing on the feel of the fur and the goodness of them helps a lot.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:47 AM

1,358 posts, read 1,179,788 times
For me supplements have made things worse so I avoid anything but Omegas and one a days and E.

In the past I would sort of mix up anxiety and depression since often in me one led to the other and so I tried St. Johns Wort one time and it gave me the worst anxiety attack! I have never had any anxiety attacks in my life except for from St. John's Wort and Xanax withdrawl! So I think St. John's Wort it may be a good supplement for someone with classic depression and no anxiety. Likewise vitamin B in large doses, various types have given me anxiety. I had a terrible time when I tried Inositol daily in large doses. It is a declassified Vitamin D. Gave me horrible 24 hour anxiety. As soon as I stopped taking it it went away in 24 hours after that. Magnesium in large doses makes me more anxious.

I have some Kava, found it in the cupboard the other day and am planning on trying it again. Cannot recall at all how it worked last time if at all. I may not have taken enough of it. I am always paranoid and try a half pill of things many times. I see on the bottle it says take 1-4 tablets. So I will try 1 tablet soon.

Old 04-01-2015, 01:37 AM

6,384 posts, read 3,228,384 times
I'm not sure 'classic' depression goes without anxiety. Low serotonin produces depression and anxiety but depression does seem to be quite complex.

I can only report on my progress with supplements. I have increased my L-Tryptophan, and 5-HTP dose and kept my L-Tyrosine dose the same. My anxiety and depression/grief has diminished considerably, for what that may be worth.

Old 04-01-2015, 04:14 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,033,567 times
This is not a supplement but a tool to help manage anxiety and there are people who swear that it helps like nothing else and I am one of them. Last fall I was so stressed I was ready to go jump off a bridge, but this put me back into better than I was before the stress and I've come to the conclusion that I've been suffering anxiety all my life but it's my default setting so I didn't know it. Try this, it's free:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWu3rSEddZI

Old 04-01-2015, 04:27 PM

7,381 posts, read 5,240,487 times
Magnesium citrate has helped me.

Old 04-01-2015, 04:28 PM

18,353 posts, read 13,722,941 times
Rescue Remedy from Bach flowers and Lemon Balm...at Health Food stores.
apparently Valium comes from it or something like that.

Old 04-01-2015, 05:03 PM

102 posts, read 113,951 times
Thanks for the input.

I picked up some L-Theanine today, and it works great. I felt the effects within an hour. Really neat stuff. Who knew...

Old 04-01-2015, 11:11 PM

6,384 posts, read 3,228,384 times
Quote:
I picked up some L-Theanine today, and it works great. I felt the effects within an hour. Really neat stuff. Who knew...
Wow! For me it was slow and not so dramatic process but it did help a lot over time together with L-Tryptophan.

Old 04-02-2015, 03:30 AM

6,980 posts, read 4,711,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJH89 View Post
Thank you.

I just picked up some Omega 3, Magnesium Glycinate, and B12. I'm really excited! I know this isn't a cure, but I am optimistic this will help in my recovery.
Keep in mind that the fish oils are blood thinners, it might even be on the label. Not that thinning the blood is good or bad per se, its just good to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or