U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2015, 04:48 PM

20,872 posts, read 18,803,971 times

Advertisements

My wife has been on Effexor XR for a long time. She was on 300mg but went up to 450mg after her mom passed away in march last year. In July she ended up in the hospital due to pneumonia. The Drs. there did not like that she was 450mg and knocked her down to 300mg which her Psyc. Dr said was ok. I lost my mom and brother-in-law later this same year plus her dad ended up in a nursing home.

In November she went back on 450mg and was fine until late Dec. She went to the emergency room due to another medicine caused her tongue to swell. The ER Dr. told her that 450mg was too much and wanted her back down to 300mg. She also suggested Vistoral to help out. She went to her Psyc. Dr. and she agreed to add the Vistoral at 50mg 4x a day. About a month later, at my wife's insistence, the Dr. put her back on 450mg of Effexor XR once again.

Yesterday I was able to check her out of the hospital after a 5 day visit. She went in due to a touch of pneumonia and confusion, short term memory loss, dizziness, nausea, headaches, and periods of meanness. They did all kinds of tests and found nothing wrong. They felt that combined with extreme stress of losing 3 people dear to her and her father going into a nursing home was too much for her too handle. Three Drs. looked at her and all said that the 450mg of Effexor was too much so they said no more, only 300mg a day. Her Psyc. Dr. still thinks 450mg is ok for her.

She wants to go back on 450mg cause she cries every once in awhile for nothing, her term. I told her that we will wait and talk to her Psyc. Dr. next week about it.

Does anyone on here have any experience with 450mg of Effexor XR and its long term affect on the body?
None of the Drs. she saw can say that this is what caused her episode but I am not convinced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 04:51 AM

1,110 posts, read 884,845 times
I just started taking it about a month ago and I'm only on 75 mg. and I did notice that my tongue swelled at first. I don't read the inserts that come with meds, but that paper was hanging out of the bag and I noticed it can mess with the lungs and I have COPD, so I hope it doesn't do anything. I was on Prozac for years and I couldn't cry. I'm going to insert the link for the Effexor XR site and possibly you can find some answers there and maybe even e-mail them.

EFFEXOR XR® (venlafaxine HCl) | Safety Info

I wish you & your wife well. You've both gone through a lot.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:50 AM

10,014 posts, read 9,922,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
My wife has been on Effexor XR for a long time. She was on 300mg but went up to 450mg after her mom passed away in march last year. In July she ended up in the hospital due to pneumonia. The Drs. there did not like that she was 450mg and knocked her down to 300mg which her Psyc. Dr said was ok. I lost my mom and brother-in-law later this same year plus her dad ended up in a nursing home.

In November she went back on 450mg and was fine until late Dec. She went to the emergency room due to another medicine caused her tongue to swell. The ER Dr. told her that 450mg was too much and wanted her back down to 300mg. She also suggested Vistoral to help out. She went to her Psyc. Dr. and she agreed to add the Vistoral at 50mg 4x a day. About a month later, at my wife's insistence, the Dr. put her back on 450mg of Effexor XR once again.

Yesterday I was able to check her out of the hospital after a 5 day visit. She went in due to a touch of pneumonia and confusion, short term memory loss, dizziness, nausea, headaches, and periods of meanness. They did all kinds of tests and found nothing wrong. They felt that combined with extreme stress of losing 3 people dear to her and her father going into a nursing home was too much for her too handle. Three Drs. looked at her and all said that the 450mg of Effexor was too much so they said no more, only 300mg a day. Her Psyc. Dr. still thinks 450mg is ok for her.

She wants to go back on 450mg cause she cries every once in awhile for nothing, her term. I told her that we will wait and talk to her Psyc. Dr. next week about it.

Does anyone on here have any experience with 450mg of Effexor XR and its long term affect on the body?
None of the Drs. she saw can say that this is what caused her episode but I am not convinced.
I will qualify this first by stating that I am not a doctor and I do not work within the medical profession.

I looked up Effexor in the Physician's Desk Reference (PDR) and read through the information there. My understanding is that information in the PDR is a summary of what drug companies say about their own product.

Use of Effexor in greater amounts than 225 mg per day is not recommended. Even 300 mg per day is an "off label" use of the drug. There are potential side effects to the drug which can involve the liver and kidneys.

I would be wary of any use above 300 mg personally. However, I think being outside the medical profession what I would recommend to you is that you possibly obtain a second opinion from another psychiatrist. When I spoke to him you might cite this link to the PDR and specifically ask about side effects of taking too much of the medication.

Effexor XR | Drug Summary | PDR.net

Old 11-08-2015, 03:18 PM

1,957 posts, read 2,153,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
I've never heard of anyone being prescribed 450mg of Effexor XR. My understanding is that this drug is suppose to max out at 375mg. I was prescribed 300mg of Effexor XR, supposedly something like 80% of the serotonin transporter occupancy occurs at 75 mg with the higher doses not resulting in proportional increases in occupancy, but then I'm not a doctor. I found the worst side effect of Effexor XR is the constipation. My experience has been (in my words) that the signal that is suppose to hit the receptor that controls motility in the intestines slows down considerably.

Old 11-10-2015, 08:25 AM

3,330 posts, read 2,252,079 times
Wow...that is a lot..I know this is an old post..how is she now? Effexor was THE WORST pill for me to go off of...it is strong. ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health