U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 05:10 PM

4,835 posts, read 4,994,788 times

Advertisements

If so, how has it affected you?

I hate the way the media portrays mental disorders. The stigma attached to depression, PTSD, anxiety, etc to me deters so many from seeking help...It would be nice if people would stop acting like those who suffer from mental health issues are dangerous, cannot be trusted, are a ticking time bomb eager to go on shooting sprees or want to fly planes into the ground or just kill people.

This whole thing just upsets me. After that plane went down in Europe, the talks about the pilot being depressed and basically the media and some making it look like depressed people want to kill/harm others and that they cannot be trusted, has made me sad.

I am an Army Vet diagnosed with PTSD (not related to the Military) and I served with so many people who have suffered from the same problem as well as anxiety (which I also have). They have wanted to seek help but are afraid to look crazy. It breaks my heart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 06:48 PM

20,871 posts, read 18,931,016 times
My wife suffers from depression and anxiety and has been looked down on by her parents for a long time and its a shame cause she absolutely loved her mom when she was alive and loves her dad. I have not noticed anyone else looking down on people who suffer the same as my wife.

Old 04-10-2015, 06:17 AM

162 posts, read 126,817 times
I have Borderline Personality Disorder. We are discriminated by mental health professionals and have a whole camaderie of blogs dedicated to former exes talking about how much we supposedly suck.

I don't understand how people can discriminate against PTSD unless they walked through your shoes. People think going to the military is like playing call of duty or something. smh :/

Old 04-10-2015, 10:01 PM

27,845 posts, read 26,448,443 times
Just because your file bears the Crazy stamp, doesn't mean you're crazy. People who are depressed rarely, very rarely, harm others. If they did it was probably an accident. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder is a beast, but it doesn't mean that you're delusional. People with PTSD tend to keep to themselves--after they realize that most don't want to share their trauma.

All kinds of people carry all kinds of baggage. Some of those people get the Crazy stamp.

Old 04-11-2015, 05:45 PM

6,319 posts, read 6,067,310 times
Just suffered it now, over in Relationships.

Someone told me I should never attempt one because I have BPD.

Old 04-14-2015, 03:56 PM

2,878 posts, read 2,290,600 times
yep, and a bad move I made. Then people wonder why those struggle with mental issues commit suicide without warning. I lost friends because of sharing what I was going through with my depression. And these so-called friends I knew all my life, I had felt comfortable sharing my issues at the time then they dumped me

Old 04-16-2015, 01:45 PM

1,622 posts, read 1,421,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Just suffered it now, over in Relationships.

Someone told me I should never attempt one because I have BPD.

They are right on that front!!!

Old 04-21-2015, 03:51 PM

1,110 posts, read 894,798 times
There's just a stigma that goes along with those diagnosis. You're best off to keep it to yourself unless you have a friend or family member that knows what you're going through.

The sad part of the whole situation is that we realize we're depressed or panic stricken and we know it's not normal and seek help.

Those that sit in judgement of someone with a mental illness are many times the people who should be seeking help, but refuse to do so.

I now have PTSD and my family are the only people that know about it and I'll keep it that way. I'll say it on here because of the anonymity of this forum.

My former boss labeled me because I had depression. She's a lying, underhanded, incapable of empathy or sympathy, enjoys bullying people, she shows no true concern for anyone but her family and that's even sketchy. She's in deep need of being diagnosed for something, yet she chooses to look down her nose at those that are depressed because she's incapable of looking in the mirror and accepting that she has very bad behaviors. Haha How's that for telling ya how I really feel?

Old 04-21-2015, 04:00 PM

1,110 posts, read 894,798 times
As a matter of fact, my depression was used as a "scapegoat" when I walked out of my 11 year job due to workplace bullying because my boss "mocked" me and I caught her. Of course she wouldn't tell anyone of her disgusting behavior, but the office knew and kept her secret and allowed my name to be trashed by her lie.

Old 04-22-2015, 01:19 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,150,385 times
That's one of the main reasons why some people don't want to go to a therapist.

They feel it will affect their job search or status if known.

There's a lack of education toward BD and BPD for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health