Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 07:27 PM

3 posts, read 3,181 times

Advertisements

my fiancée is gorgeous and I love him so much it hurts we have been together for 2 years we live together when I met him he was a ex opiate addict and has been to rehab and is on medication for dependency i had what everyone wants someone who loves them unconditionally and treats them like gold but now he is on a downward spiral and using Xanax and sometimes uppers theres really no drug he has not tried had I known that if the beginning I wouldn't have returned the first call... the bad part is that he was abused as a child and he has ptsd and bad anxiety so it started out with the anxiety attacks and he needed the Xanax legit but now he just abuses them he lies about his behavior and dosnt own up to how much he uses or spends im always suspicious of what hes doing and the shady people he gets to encounter daily im finaly done feeling like this I am at my breaking point im starting to have my own anxiety from dealing with his bull crap I don't want to have to put up with a addicts lies and mood swings and not to mention the sexual side effects and I know I would tell someone in my shoes to leave you know better but its never that simple when its you im debating on if I should try the last ditch effort of a ultimatum and try to be supportive and help him or do I just kick him out .....what do you say to someone you love so much to tell him your done quit or leave because your killing us
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2015, 05:07 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,932 times
what do you say to someone you love so much to tell him your done quit or leave because your killing us

Ask yourself why you're with him in the first place:

1) Is it because you think he fulfills your needs and enhances your life?

2) Is it because you think love will conquer all and he'll throw the pills in the trash and be the man you want him to be?

3) Is it because you were raised in a substance-abuse household and it's familiar to you and feels comfortable?

4) Is it because you have little to no self-esteem, self-respect and/or self-confidence?

5) Is it because having him around is better than nothing?

6) Is it because you believe you can cure his addictions?

This isn't about "what you say to him", it's all about "why you're there in the first place".

He has you believing the world revolves around him; you focus everything on "him"; you're denying your own needs; and you're losing your identity.

Whatever you have with him now will never get better, it will only get worse. And if you want that lifestyle and spend your life walking on eggshells, keep him in your life.

Old 03-07-2015, 06:22 AM

8,145 posts, read 8,345,769 times
This will end with you being sad and hurt. You can choose to end it now or live another decade with a stone in your heart, years of lost time, perhaps even a child or two drawn into the mess of your life.

It took me a dozen years to give up, always thinking I could make him realize the value in staying straight. A dozen years of pain. Finally gave up in 1983. I am an old lady now and still when I hear the song "Say something I'm giving up on you" it pulls at my soul.

I will go to my grave regretting all the wasted years.

Old 03-07-2015, 06:54 AM

3,166 posts, read 3,358,514 times
I saw your post in another thread.

//www.city-data.com/forum/relat...ll-addict.html

My friend is a drug addict. We dont see much of each other anymore because of his addiction.

I had to put on my big girl panties to realize he isn't going to change. And I had to build my own life without him. You can't love him enough to make him stop. If that was possible then there wouldn't be many addicts

only themselves can decide when they want to change. Even if they do, there's always a chance for a relaspe.

I said this once and will say it again. Do you want to be the one to find him dead of an overdose? I know someone that did. She couldn't live with herself after the fact and several years later O'D/committed suicide,

Old 03-08-2015, 01:06 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,207,203 times
find out what is going on with you
that you end up with someone like him
I have been in recovery for over 30 years
but I have not been sober but for 16 years
the reason is my first time sober lasted 13 years, BUT
I refused to get real with my co-dependency and as a result I relapsed for 2 more years
I had to face me
if you do not get real for you
you will change faces with relationships, but will fall short every time
co-dependency will kill
go get help

Old 03-08-2015, 10:47 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,355,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
what do you say to someone you love so much to tell him your done quit or leave because your killing us

He has you believing the world revolves around him; you focus everything on "him"; you're denying your own needs; and you're losing your identity.

Whatever you have with him now will never get better, it will only get worse. And if you want that lifestyle and spend your life walking on eggshells, keep him in your life.
Accurate, and excellent advice.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:54 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,330,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolea1982 View Post
my fiancée is gorgeous...
I think it's interesting and very telling that this is the first and only positive quality you listed for your fiance. Don't you?

Old 03-09-2015, 08:49 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
Drug addiction, even dependence, is a very difficult road to follow. It takes a LOT of strong will and determination to beat it....and has to be something one really really wants.
Withdrawals can be very intense. Some people just can't overcome it.
You can still love him, but maybe for your own sake, not stay with him.
Let him know you still really care for him, but you just can't deal with his refusal to to be honest about his addictions.
Sometimes we have to take care of ourselves first...to be strong for others.
It's his turn now to prove that he cares more for your love and support than he does his pills.
It's harsh, I know, but he could do it if he really, really wanted to.

Old 03-15-2015, 09:41 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,207,203 times
I am in recovery and I promise you a strong will is NOT what is needed
good grief we are strong willed how else could we produce so much pain and destruction and yet KEEP using/drinking
drugs is a SYMPTOM of the disease!!
anyone involved with an active addict or active alcohol needs their OWN recovery!!!

Old 03-15-2015, 10:34 AM

50,364 posts, read 63,948,892 times
More experienced people than I have given you good advice, so I hope you take it. I'll just add that it is not healthy to allow another person to call the shots in your life. You must steer your own ship, and you cannot change your boyfriend. Only he can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health