Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2015, 02:11 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,045,612 times

Advertisements

I had to take a state licensing exam today for work. I have been studying for it for a week and it is a ton of info to retain. Last night I was having trouble sleeping, worrying about passing. At 2 am the anxiety was really filling up and I got up and went downstairs (I grew up with sleeping problems so I know the worst thing you can do is toss & turn in bed). As soon as I sat down on the couch, my palms got really sweaty and I felt this incredible warmth go up my arms & too my chest. My chest got tight & my heart was pounding. I've had anxiety before but never a real attack.

I went back upstairs & my husband was awake. We talked for a while and he stroked my arm. After a while I calmed down & managed to get a couple of hours of sleep.

Thank god I passed & never have to go through this again. I guess part of the anxiety was due to the fact that I haven't had to take a test in years - and I never had to take a test that covered so much information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 11:01 PM

32,773 posts, read 36,000,398 times
I wouldn't consider that a panic attack. You were, rightfully so, very anxious about taking the test. Your sleep was interrupted. Your heart rate increased. That sounds normal to me.

I've had a couple of panic attacks. They were much worse than what you've described.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:32 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,219,792 times
Note this sort of thing is caused from "too much stress" or "too much stimulation".

With that said, you can "relieve the pressure" by reducing stimulation to your body...

So no "sensory stimulation" is the trick! Nothing to hear, feel, taste, touch, see, etc. Lay down perfectly still in a quiet dark room, with the temperature just right, for about 30 minutes to a couple of hours. And that should help quite a bit.

That is as opposed to going into a room full of screaming children, having the phone ring, and at the same time carrying on an argument with your spouse - then the doorbell rings! AGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

Old 04-20-2015, 12:59 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,045,612 times
Billy_J this was in the middle of the night, and after battling insomnia for a few hours. If you know anything about insomnia, then you know it's not good to lay in bed for hours & hours if you can't sleep. Laying there in the dark was what brought it on. Being able to talk to my husband was what really helped.

Old 04-20-2015, 01:06 PM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,753,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I wouldn't consider that a panic attack. You were, rightfully so, very anxious about taking the test. Your sleep was interrupted. Your heart rate increased. That sounds normal to me.

I've had a couple of panic attacks. They were much worse than what you've described.
You are correct, Gerania.
I don't think what she experienced was panic attack. Panic attack was much worse than that.

Old 04-21-2015, 12:49 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,219,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsydevil82 View Post
Billy_J this was in the middle of the night, and after battling insomnia for a few hours. If you know anything about insomnia, then you know it's not good to lay in bed for hours & hours if you can't sleep. Laying there in the dark was what brought it on. Being able to talk to my husband was what really helped.

Insomnia related word - "Anxiety"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health