U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2015, 01:34 PM

320 posts, read 273,083 times

Advertisements

I would like some outside advice on whether I should get tested or go see a doctor about it ADD/ADHD. A friend of mine who has ADD suggest I look into it.

Background: Sine I can remember I have always had trouble focusing on one thing at a time. School work has been like pulling teeth most of the time, especially if it involves reading more than a page or two. I start yawning A LOT and have trouble finishing anything in one sitting. It's hard to fully grasp what I do read or study, often finding myself re-reading multiple times and still not remembering later on. At work, I find myself PACING in the elevator. Every time I'm in it unless it is full in which case I have no choice as to remain still but more or less rock back and forth. I am frequently active, in the halls (running, doing kung fu moves as a joke, jumping, etc.). Not really sure why but it just keeps me entertained I guess? I find myself engaging in conversation a lot in between tasks or in the middle of one task, getting distracted easily. I don't know if this is relative but I go through forgetfulness in the middle of a task. EX. I'm repairing something and realize that I forgot a tool downstairs. I then walk down the hall to the elevator, pace, think about something else, sing, talk to myself, jump around, etc. When I get to my office, I find myself standing there, wondering what I even needed. I then leave my office, get back to the elevator, and it comes back to me why I came downstairs. It's pretty frequent. Life seems to be fuzzy, unclear, indecisive. I've changed majors like 4 times and been back and forth to college since 2008. It's been extremely hard for me to maintain all my classes at once since I started, which is why I'm finally ready to consider my friends advice. In addition, things like that, biting my gums a lot, pulling on my facial hair to make my lip make weird noises, etc are kinda what I have a habit of doing. I hate all of it as weird as it may sound.

Anyways, my friend gave me one of his Adderall pills so I tried it. I have to admit that I felt like everything was clear in my life. I went into my office, did all of my homework for the week in 1.5 hours, and finished up my workload for the day. I felt optimistic about anything and everything presently and in the future. I wasn't so focused on everything else around me, more-so what I needed to do. For once, everything felt organized psychologically. Can I assume this to be a positive indicator? Should I go see a doctor about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 07:06 PM

10,892 posts, read 6,176,513 times
Dont self diagnose and self medicate... especially someone elses pills that Should be under the guidance of a physician.

Go see a doctor there is nothing more to be said... go see a doctor.

http://www.drugs.com/adderall.html

No it is not a positive indicator.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:00 AM

287 posts, read 431,434 times
Personal anecdote: I was tested when I was young and was diagnosed ADHD with NLD. Aside from a 504 Plan, nothing came from the diagnosis, and I struggled a lot with school and jobs.

About a year ago I started seeing a psychiatrist that specializes in adult ADHD. His diagnosis was the same as my original test (ADHD/NLD). I see him semi-regularly and I take Concerta daily now, and I can say that things are much, much better.

My advice to you would be to not self-diagnose, but find a doctor you like that specializes in ADHD and see what he or she has to say. A good doctor will work on underlying issues with you and give you tools to create better habits; a bad one will blindly write you a prescription and send you on your way.

Last but not least, keep in mind that that medication isn't a miracle cure. You'll have to put in a lot of hard work on your end to create better habits and create a positive mindset.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:07 AM

3,660 posts, read 2,080,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjo View Post
Personal anecdote: I was tested when I was young and was diagnosed ADHD with NLD. Aside from a 504 Plan, nothing came from the diagnosis, and I struggled a lot with school and jobs.

About a year ago I started seeing a psychiatrist that specializes in adult ADHD. His diagnosis was the same as my original test (ADHD/NLD). I see him semi-regularly and I take Concerta daily now, and I can say that things are much, much better.

My advice to you would be to not self-diagnose, but find a doctor you like that specializes in ADHD and see what he or she has to say. A good doctor will work on underlying issues with you and give you tools to create better habits; a bad one will blindly write you a prescription and send you on your way.

Last but not least, keep in mind that that medication isn't a miracle cure. You'll have to put in a lot of hard work on your end to create better habits and create a positive mindset.
Yup that's what I've been saying. If you decide to take medicine, don't use it as a crutch. There's a reason why those things have side effect warnings. This is especially true for mental disorders. The mind is a very tricky thing. You put in a foreign substance, it will take months at best for your brain to get used to it and even then it's not going to fix all your issues for you. My mom takes the highest dose of meds for her ADD and she STILL drives me up the wall haha. Only YOU can make yourself the healthiest you can be because it is your brain.

Old 05-06-2015, 01:41 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,150,385 times
ADD and ADHD are two different things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health