U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 06:56 AM

5,193 posts, read 4,317,478 times

Advertisements

Good morning,

My therapist - who was just so awesome- passed away this month from pancreatic cancer. Her facility will not give me my records. I'm really trying to understand how I cannot have access to my own mental health records.

Is this normal when a therapist passes away?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 10:00 AM

4,761 posts, read 11,822,368 times
I've requested medical / mental health records many times and always received them. If for yourself, you may need to pay. If to another medical professional - typically free.

Ask for a medical records release form, fill it out, and make a copy.

If they refuse, say you are going to get a Lawyer - that seems to motivate people into action!

Also you may want to have a mental health worker read your records FIRST. Some things can be upsetting, especially with things like PTSD. Best you not read that stuff! They also may be a LOT more willing to release your records to another mental health professional (than to you) for that very reason - they are protecting you perhaps?

Last edited by Billy_J; 04-28-2015 at 10:30 AM..

Old 04-28-2015, 04:51 PM

26,374 posts, read 30,682,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
Also you may want to have a mental health worker read your records FIRST. Some things can be upsetting, especially with things like PTSD. Best you not read that stuff! They also may be a LOT more willing to release your records to another mental health professional (than to you) for that very reason - they are protecting you perhaps?
This is correct.

They also may transfer the records to another therapist without charge.

HIPAA has special rules for psychotherapy notes. They must be kept separate from the rest of the chart, and the therapist may withhold them from the patient if he feels it is not in the patient's best interest to see them.

In the OP's situation, is there another therapist in the same practice as the one who died? If so, he cannot refuse to release your records to you just because he anticipates you will transfer to him.

Old 04-28-2015, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
This is correct.

They also may transfer the records to another therapist without charge.

HIPAA has special rules for psychotherapy notes. They must be kept separate from the rest of the chart, and the therapist may withhold them from the patient if he feels it is not in the patient's best interest to see them.

In the OP's situation, is there another therapist in the same practice as the one who died? If so, he cannot refuse to release your records to you just because he anticipates you will transfer to him.
It's a long story. I am filing a VA claim. This therapist was private practice, due to the long wait time to get a VA appointment. The VA here is taking its sweet time requesting the records. Mostly because the mental health professional at the VA clinic left, so they don't have anyone to request the file.

I have an exam for my claim in June. The VA needs the records before then. I can upload my file to the VA electronically, which is what I want to do.

Old 04-28-2015, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
It's a long story. I am filing a VA claim. This therapist was private practice, due to the long wait time to get a VA appointment. The VA here is taking its sweet time requesting the records. Mostly because the mental health professional at the VA clinic left, so they don't have anyone to request the file.

I have an exam for my claim in June. The VA needs the records before then. I can upload my file to the VA electronically, which is what I want to do.
The VA does not really "need" the records before then. They will see you without them. However, you may go ahead and ask that they be sent to the VA yourself. Form here:

http://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/vba-21-4142-are.pdf

If you want to see the therapy notes yourself, you may ask the new therapist to review them, as Billy suggested, and tell you if that would be a good idea.

Old 04-28-2015, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The VA does not really "need" the records before then. They will see you without them. However, you may go ahead and ask that they be sent to the VA yourself. Form here:

http://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/vba-21-4142-are.pdf

If you want to see the therapy notes yourself, you may ask the new therapist to review them, as Billy suggested, and tell you if that would be a good idea.
Thanks!
I don't really want to see them - I don't think I could handle it. This is only for the claim.

Old 04-28-2015, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Thanks!
I don't really want to see them - I don't think I could handle it. This is only for the claim.

Old 04-29-2015, 10:58 PM

14,486 posts, read 14,466,671 times
Mental health notes and records are treated differently than the rest of a patient's medical record. Depending on the health care institution, some mental health records may not be made available to the patient.

Old 05-03-2015, 07:22 AM

4,826 posts, read 7,612,101 times
Quote:
Good morning,

My therapist - who was just so awesome- passed away this month from pancreatic cancer. Her facility will not give me my records. I'm really trying to understand how I cannot have access to my own mental health records.

Is this normal when a therapist passes away?
1. If you have an attorney helping you with your claim, the attorney can request them. Legally they have to provide them.

2. If you don't have a lawyer: Fill out a HIPAA-compliant authorization (you can get one online --- just google it) and be sure to initial the sections in 9a. Write them a letter stating you are requesting copies of your complete file. In the letter, tell them you will pay 75 cents per page (or whatever your state mandates --- it should be in Public Health Law). Tell them you expect a response IN WRITING within 10 business days of your request. Mail it CERTIFIED MAIL/RETURN RECEIPT REQUESTED. If you don't they will say they never got it.

Old 05-03-2015, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
1. If you have an attorney helping you with your claim, the attorney can request them. Legally they have to provide them.

2. If you don't have a lawyer: Fill out a HIPAA-compliant authorization (you can get one online --- just google it) and be sure to initial the sections in 9a. Write them a letter stating you are requesting copies of your complete file. In the letter, tell them you will pay 75 cents per page (or whatever your state mandates --- it should be in Public Health Law). Tell them you expect a response IN WRITING within 10 business days of your request. Mail it CERTIFIED MAIL/RETURN RECEIPT REQUESTED. If you don't they will say they never got it.
OP only wants the V.A. to have the records. He is not interested in seeing them himself. The form linked above authorizes release to the V.A. and should accomplish OP's purpose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or