U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 07:40 PM

4,835 posts, read 4,975,544 times

Advertisements

I have just started taking Zoloft. 25 mg/a day for a week and starting at 50 mg/day after that. I have anxiety that is severe at times and lately have experience depression related symptoms (memory and also concentration issues)

What has been your experience on this medication? I was on Prozac for a few months several years ago and hated it. It made me feel like a zombie.

Any input is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 10:48 AM

5,066 posts, read 14,904,603 times
I started on Zoloft 25 mg at the beginning of February for anxiety issues that lead to insomnia. But just after a few days on 25 mg, another doctor (mine wasn't in) increased my dosage to 50 mg 'cause the 25 wasn't helping quickly enough. After about the first 10+ days, I noticed a decrease in my anxiety. Looking back, I wish I would've pressed the doctor for a back-up plan of Xanax or something else quick acting for that first 2 weeks as the Zoloft got into my system.

Most of my anxiety was related to a fear of not being able to sleep. Neighborhood noises (trucks, motorcycles, vehicle doors, dogs barking) were keeping me awake. I am VERY sound sensitive. On top of this, I had just adopted a new dog. So adjusting to her & her adjusting to me & my home also increased my anxiety. Any noise she made at night made me more anxious as I wondered if she was going to keep on making noises all night long.

I was prescribed 50 mg Trazodone to help me sleep. It worked the first day, but not after that. So when I went to that other doctor, he prescribed 15 mg Temazepam to help me sleep instead of the Trazodone. But I was strongly cautioned about how addictive it can be. I could only take it for 10 days. When the Temazepam was gone, I was supposed to go back to trying the Trazodone. My doctor also recommended herbal teas & melatonin to help me relax. Insomnia occurs at night so I needed a plan in place in case I went more than 2 days without sleep. My doctor prescribed .5mg Xanax to help me sleep if I went a few days without sleep. She only gave 6 pills so as to control how much I was taking & to monitor my condition. I only took the Xanax at night. The Trazodone worked for a little while, then I realized I wasn't sleeping through the night. My doctor & I decided to increase my Trazodone to 100 mg. I've been taking that dosage for about 3 weeks now & sleeping very well through the night 7-8 hours. Now I'm thinking of decreasing my Trazodone back to 50mg 'cause I don't think I need as much and I'm groggy most of the next day.

I've not had any issues with concentrating or memory. My sister has had those symptoms. She has tried several different SSRIs but not found one that worked for her issues. She has ADD.

It's been 3.5 months for me on Zoloft 50 mg and I think my anxiety is under control. I don't feel like a zombie and I am able to function at work & take care of my house & dog.

Old 05-09-2015, 04:09 AM

6,322 posts, read 5,038,081 times
Zoloft made me feel like a zombie more than Prozac. I actually started getting depressed about THAT and switched to an SNRI.

Old 05-10-2015, 04:53 PM

2,781 posts, read 2,556,194 times
Everyone reacts differently to meds. I can say I am on a nice cocktail of meds and my life is manageable now.

I take propanolol, 40 mg, Cymbalta 30 mg, Buspar 30 mg, and now I can be in a crowd without having a panic attack.

Old 05-16-2015, 11:36 AM

74 posts, read 82,031 times
I am an anxiety sufferer. I've tried about a dozen antidepressants and every SSRI. None of them helped at all. I am convince that it is all placebo. They barely came up above the placebo group in the clinical trials. My theory is that they are just a stronger placebo, because you know that you're on them (the side effects). I hold the belief that the only thing SSRIs are good for is premature ejaculation. Sorry for being a downer. It just hurts me to see they are still prescribing those things. I wasted so much time on stupid useless antidepressants.

Good luck with you medication. I hope it works for you.

Old 05-25-2015, 04:34 PM

999 posts, read 1,469,884 times
I can trace anxiety back for many generations in my family and both my daughter and myself have had it all of our lives. Remeron and Klonopin work for me. Zoloft and a teeny bit of Xanax works for her. We have both tried Paxil and Prozac without success. She got no response and the SSRIs give me GI side effects.

Something different for everyone depending on their individual metabolism. My daughter is a zombie on Remeron, but it works great for me. I can't do Zoloft but it is working for her. Benzos will always be the backbone of anxiety treatment because they stop a panic attack for almost everyone.

All that being said, while I use medication when I need it (this has been a lifelong journey and there have been times where I have not used meds for years at a time) I also think it is good to focus on other things to bring us out of the dark side. I know how hard it is to begin but working on being outside a little bit of activity, eating cleaner, avoiding negative thought patterns, and learning to manage stress when you can goes a long way to feeling better.

Old 06-11-2015, 04:12 PM

4,835 posts, read 4,975,544 times
I just want to post an update:

I've been on Zoloft for a little over a month now and I AM SO MUCH BETTER! My anxiety has severely decreased and I don't dread life anymore. I have a lot more energy. I wish I'd asked for it sooner because I'd have saved me a lot of headaches but I am glad I did. I can finally breathe....

Old 06-12-2015, 04:44 PM

5,066 posts, read 14,904,603 times
Glad to hear it's helping you and that you are feeling better.

Old 06-12-2015, 05:05 PM

463 posts, read 480,586 times
Zoloft made me go through the motions and gain weight. Turned out I didn't need zoloft after all. All my symptoms, anxiety, depression, weight gain, and many many more were because I was hypothyroid (later diagnosed as thyroid cancer too.) It was my thyroid not depression.

Old 06-12-2015, 06:33 PM

1,655 posts, read 1,100,442 times
I kinda went thru this a couple of years ago. Couldn't sleep, no energy, the blahs. Nothing helped.

Then I got myself some hormones, and whew!! much better now!
I'm at that age where i'm post menopausal, and the hormones are a life saver...

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health