U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2015, 02:29 AM

621 posts, read 945,995 times

Advertisements

Who here suffers from ADHD and takes medication? My current boyfriend suffers from ADHD and takes medication more than he should. And I am worried about him. Aren't you suppose to take medication only when it says? Like you know if says 2 a day thats it, not 4 a day or more?

What are the symptoms etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 08:06 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,484,883 times
Just type ADHD into search engine. Cannabis is an excellent treatment but not all states and countries allow it. Best wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneygogetter View Post
Who here suffers from ADHD and takes medication? My current boyfriend suffers from ADHD and takes medication more than he should. And I am worried about him. Aren't you suppose to take medication only when it says? Like you know if says 2 a day thats it, not 4 a day or more?

What are the symptoms etc.

Old 05-14-2015, 02:54 AM

6,427 posts, read 3,248,569 times
Quote:
Aren't you suppose to take medication only when it says? Like you know if says 2 a day thats it, not 4 a day or more?
People with ADHD may be prone to self medication and addictions. ADHD may be associated with Aspergers and autism. My mother was pretty ADHD and had autism (high functioning). My son was diagnosed with ADHD and had Aspergers and was addicted to - wait for it - cannabis. His surviving brother is addicted to - wait for it - cannabis. He has an addictive personality. He also has ADHD tendencies but those didn't really surface until he started on cannabis.

Just pointing out that cannabis isn't necessarily a good all round panacea for all ills for everyone. I don't know of anyone who has actually been helped by the use of cannabis while I know of many who have been negatively affected by cannabis.

I also know of a few people who have been driven close to suicide by modern drugs - possibly all the way. Possibly it was the cannabis. I can't say for sure but the drugs were administered while he was on cannabis and it didn't work out well. The cannabis on it's own didn't work out well either and on the night of his suicide he had take a lot of cannabis. It didn't help him at all! Then again it didn't cause his underlying condition - it just aggravated it.

So forgive me if I sound a little sceptical.

Just a question on the ADHD medication - what medication is your boyfriend on? Some medications are addictive drugs (if taken in larger doses). Think amphetamines.

Last edited by 303Guy; 05-14-2015 at 03:15 AM..

Old 05-14-2015, 08:10 AM

6,322 posts, read 5,073,209 times
I use mine as needed. If I need one extra one day, I will take it and then maybe skip the next day.

I mean, is he studying, working or just getting high?

Old 05-14-2015, 08:14 AM

2,027 posts, read 1,279,867 times
ADD/ADHD responds well to stimulants.....i.e...like coffee. I learned that with my second son who is Aspy. A bit of coffee calmed him right down...so he was allowed coffee every day. He still needed Ritalin by the time he was in grade school, but he is doing well now at almost 30 years of age.

Old 05-16-2015, 06:57 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,150,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxiegal View Post
ADD/ADHD responds well to stimulants.....i.e...like coffee. I learned that with my second son who is Aspy. A bit of coffee calmed him right down...so he was allowed coffee every day. He still needed Ritalin by the time he was in grade school, but he is doing well now at almost 30 years of age.
Exercise also helps a lot.

Old 05-17-2015, 11:07 PM

10,141 posts, read 14,811,085 times
Hyper, agitated at times, insomnia, can't focus, interrupts you at times when you talk because short term memory issues, rambling.

Old 05-18-2015, 05:58 PM

1,814 posts, read 1,287,828 times
Started taking meds again after 10 years of restraining from them. My job has ramped up and I need better concentration.

Here are my short term 60 day reactions using new meds:

1. Aderol XR is off the table for me. 10 Mill isn't enough and there was insomnia associated with it (sort of).

2. The direct release 10 mill is better but the consistency in product varies. For instance, if you drink a moderate about the night before, there is less of an affect. You have to take more to get a release. Usually 15-20 mill in the morning and 5 in the afternoon, sometimes none. Eat and drink coffee with it but take with water.

3. Occasionally I take it if i know I'm going out and I'm going to be tired. Don't drink heavily on top of taking it, you'll easily black out and very quickly as well.

4. Moods: Ranging from very happy to extremely unfulfilled. This isn't good, but it's more my personality being affected by the meds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or