Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2015, 08:30 PM

933 posts, read 1,478,417 times

Advertisements

You HAVE to look for signs of depression AND act on them. The ones who suffer the most are the quietest...

Instagram account of University of Pennsylvania runner showed only part of story

Really, really powerful...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 07:39 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,820,948 times
I read about this young woman in another publication. It's beyond sad....I can't imagine what her parents must be going through. Clinical depression is very complex.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:02 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,394,417 times
A sad story indeed, not even her own family, friends, coaches or anybody could tell. Sometimes is better to just talk to anyone, but often society is so cold.

Old 05-12-2015, 11:57 PM

11,021 posts, read 5,987,049 times
It was a little too close to home - I couldn't read most of it.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:16 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,721,664 times
Often anti-depressants don't work. They were based on a never proven theory for over half a century. Some continue to get rich on pills that cause suicide, homicide & other violence. Cannabis was recommended as a treatment for all mental health issues before the Civil War & that is still good science. It ought to be available to anyone it might help, but greed prevents that. Best wishes!

Old 05-14-2015, 02:33 AM

11,021 posts, read 5,987,049 times
Quote:
Cannabis was recommended as a treatment for all mental health issues before the Civil War & that is still good science.
Not sure I can agree with that.
Quote:
Some continue to get rich on pills that cause suicide,
That I might agree with. My opinion being based on life experiences, for what it's worth.

Old 05-14-2015, 12:43 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,810,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David910 View Post
You HAVE to look for signs of depression AND act on them. The ones who suffer the most are the quietest...

Instagram account of University of Pennsylvania runner showed only part of story

Thanks for the story. ( very sad) That is generally the way it happens. The sound is most generally a quiet thunderstorm that gets louder. My guess is she was overworked and couldn't see any light at the end of the tunnel. She was very thin. It's a shame that she could see no way out. I liked how her friend said that the next year was much better and she wished that Maddy would have been able to see it.

Suicide rates are always elevated in 10-23 ( or 24) year span. I remeber having all this dynamic energy right out of school, ready to accomplish anything. It can wear on a person when it doesn't get better and the same effort is applied even 30 years later. ( all day every day) I still have the ability and use it every single day.

I also figured that out about Facebook, five or six years ago. I was only active for 2-3 months on a personal level. My life has been about work, so there are no new friends or vacations or anything like that. I was getting depressed looking at everyone elses Facebook page of accomplishments that I hadn't attained in 20 years and putting forth the same effort everyday. I felt like I was just working for necessities that everyone takes for granted.

I have a small house and a car and it took forever just to be able to attain that. I am grateful for it but getting ready to move to a larger city because I want to accomplish more.

My brother committed suicide in the 80's. He was also very silent and made a very rash decision. He was sixteen and going through the first break-up with a girlfriend ( who was the love of his life at the time) and thought if he couldn't have her it was over ( at sixteen years old)
I know what it's like to work yourself into the ground though and never come up for air. It's not very fun and certainly nothing to post to Facebook about.

I'm glad the article talked about spaces in a profile that no one can see. Everyone has those days but it is certainly nothing to post about because it's not glamorous or fun. It does resemble a perfect life when the spaces are not there but that is not how life works.

( I've got too many I's in here.. but I'm in a hurray and out the door.) I really feel for her parents and siblings/friends. Being an overachiever is just about as bad as being and underachiever. Being a perfectionist on top of being an overachiever is not a new concept for me. One has to ask their selves about perfection though.. It's a hard job and nothing is ultimately perfect or stays perfect, period.

Something that is expected to stay perfect is an extra part-time job for an overachiever. ( big job in the eye of the beholder)

Old 05-15-2015, 09:12 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David910 View Post

Such a very saaaad story. Unfortunately it's the ones who keep their depression mostly to themselves that can shock and sadden us when they take their lives.
I don't agree that the "quietest" ones suffer the most though.
Also I believe we all experience depression at some point in our lives, and that to watch for the signs in others is not something we can all do. The main thing is to understand that no-one is to blame for this woman's death.
I believe that people who seek help for their depression stand a better chance of overcoming it.
It's the silently depressed, the ones who say they'll be fine, that you have to watch out for...I feel incredibly sad for her family.

Old 05-16-2015, 11:23 AM

933 posts, read 1,478,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Such a very saaaad story. Unfortunately it's the ones who keep their depression mostly to themselves that can shock and sadden us when they take their lives.
I don't agree that the "quietest" ones suffer the most though.
Also I believe we all experience depression at some point in our lives, and that to watch for the signs in others is not something we can all do. The main thing is to understand that no-one is to blame for this woman's death.
I believe that people who seek help for their depression stand a better chance of overcoming it.
It's the silently depressed, the ones who say they'll be fine, that you have to watch out for...I feel incredibly sad for her family.
Yeah, looking back at it, I didn't mean it that way...I meant that the quietest suffer more than anyone realizes they do...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health