U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2015, 11:18 PM

3,147 posts, read 2,724,703 times

Advertisements

I was in a car accident on the freeway today. The traffic was stop and go, and I was dumb enough to think it was picking up since it started moving, but then it went back to a stop suddenly, and I rear-ended a car which started a chain reaction with a few other cars. I wasn't hurt besides a sore back and a minor burn from airbag, and neither was anybody else. But I am feeling depressed. I'm not sure yet if the car is totaled or not. It was a sad and scary experience for me. I was freaked out a little by the airbag deploying. But not only that, I just got the car a few months ago and put a lot of money and work into it, and now it might be totaled. Its really depressing me. Has anybody else been in a car accident and experienced this? How did you get over it? And did it last long? Were you scared to drive for awhile?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 07:56 PM

14,013 posts, read 13,642,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
I was in a car accident on the freeway today. The traffic was stop and go, and I was dumb enough to think it was picking up since it started moving, but then it went back to a stop suddenly, and I rear-ended a car which started a chain reaction with a few other cars. I wasn't hurt besides a sore back and a minor burn from airbag, and neither was anybody else. But I am feeling depressed. I'm not sure yet if the car is totaled or not. It was a sad and scary experience for me. I was freaked out a little by the airbag deploying. But not only that, I just got the car a few months ago and put a lot of money and work into it, and now it might be totaled. Its really depressing me. Has anybody else been in a car accident and experienced this? How did you get over it? And did it last long? Were you scared to drive for awhile?
I've been in one car accident about 7 years ago. It was my fault and I'm sure I got down on myself about it as well as other stupid things I've done on the road. Everybody makes mistakes. It's great that no one was hurt, and you'll probably become a better driver as a result of this.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:07 AM

4,761 posts, read 11,822,368 times
Learn what "Tailgating" or "Following Too Close" is, then this will NEVER happen again! (Simple as that.)

Maintain a Safe Following Distance (The 3 Second Rule)

For advanced credit, take a drivers education class and let your insurance company know you did so. Take one which has an instructor riding in the car with you as well as classroom time. May cost $300 or so, but WELL worth every penny!

Old 06-01-2015, 11:50 AM

4 posts, read 7,979 times
A car accident, no matter who is at fault, is traumatic. Feeling depressed for a little while. Just watch that it doesn't get too severe.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:30 PM

16,077 posts, read 20,903,466 times
To answer your question, yes it was frightening to ride in the front seat as a passenger, I was in a head on, not fast speeds so minor head injury, mostly scratches...But, it took me years to stop grabbing the dash when someone else made a sudden stop if I was riding shot gun....

OP...Hope that you are still ok. Sometimes our body is hurt, even if there are not open wounds or obvious physical injuries. Hope that you had yourself checked out right after.

By now you must know what the insurance company is doing for you....Again, I hope all is well. Update as you can plz

Old 05-02-2016, 10:47 PM

5 posts, read 10,182 times
I'm still upset over the accident 12/2015 and nervous when I drive. I find myself just feeling sad all of a sudden which I didn't feel before. It's been 4 months and I'm not happy with a new a car. I feel like I'm just driving a car, nothing special like my other totaled car that I took care of dearly. I feel like any stupid move anyone makes can ruin my new car so why bother feeling good about it. I think I'm depressed. My back hurts, I can't be as active as I used to be, at work I have to stretch my back because I'm constantly uncomfortable. This whole situation sucks, and I try not to show it.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:13 PM

10,215 posts, read 10,053,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imhere123 View Post
I'm still upset over the accident 12/2015 and nervous when I drive. I find myself just feeling sad all of a sudden which I didn't feel before. It's been 4 months and I'm not happy with a new a car. I feel like I'm just driving a car, nothing special like my other totaled car that I took care of dearly. I feel like any stupid move anyone makes can ruin my new car so why bother feeling good about it. I think I'm depressed. My back hurts, I can't be as active as I used to be, at work I have to stretch my back because I'm constantly uncomfortable. This whole situation sucks, and I try not to show it.
I think you should talk to a doctor about this. Depression following an accident and even a minor injury is not uncommon. Have you had any medical treatment at all? What treatment have you had for your back?
Was the accident your fault or someone else's fault? It if was someone else's fault, you may benefit from a consultation with a lawyer.

Sometimes sprain necks and backs can hurt for a long time. However, by the end of four months it ought to be getting a lot better.

Old 05-08-2016, 03:19 PM

6,035 posts, read 3,307,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
Has anybody else been in a car accident and experienced this? How did you get over it? And did it last long? Were you scared to drive for awhile?
Yes.
With time you get over it. Yes, scared for awhile. I still am scared when I change lanes. And in general I am scared to drive--there are a lot of people out there that do not pay attention.

For me there is not an alternative. I have to drive. I am not going to be dependent on someone.

Old 05-19-2016, 05:06 PM

5 posts, read 10,182 times
I was thinking about talking to a doc. I'm going to ortho and yes I did have treatment with a chiro. It did help but my spine still hurts when I wake up and my shoulder does too. This takes a toll when your constantly uncomfortable and in some pain. The accident was the other drivers fault and was pure neglect. I have a lawyer but thats the least of my worries. I want to feel normal. My back and neck are much better but its the waking up with pain and my shoulder is aggravated everytime I do some regular household chores. Thanks for reading, I'm just frustrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or