U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 08:16 AM

18,280 posts, read 16,822,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartfocus View Post
Has anyone had any luck getting rid of persistent suicide thoughts and if so, how did you do it? I really feel that I have nothing to live for as I gain no pleasure out of life anymore...
The right medication. Clinical depression changes the way your brain functions. No amount of therapy is going to help until normal brain chemistry is restored, especially in the prefrontal cortex. And you may have to try more than one med to find the right one for you. Hang in there.
Brain function is altered in those with depression, study finds
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 09:48 AM

3,700 posts, read 3,084,995 times
Are you in a state that you can get medical marijuana for your maladies? Do you just not like human beings much? Not all humans fancy their fellow species and over the years can built up quite a shell. Marijuana can and does break that shell for many people. It won't make you run out of your house and immediately be the life of the party (but something tells me you are not looking for that anyway). Smoke a joint, write down your thoughts, put some relaxing movies or music, play some video games, enjoy that space deep in your mind that may never have been touched (or not touched correctly) with some bud. MJ has actually helped me immensely with issues of depression, anxiety, low self-esteem, self-harm, etc. It can truly give you a much needed alternative on life.

Also, look up the term Acedia. Ignore any of the religious connotations (i am not religious at all, but when I discovered the ancient term Acedia, it truly explained what is often overdiagnosed as depression in this country. It's kind of a Monk's disorder). Good luck, and if you wanna talk PM me.

MODS: if what i posted is against TOU, i'm sorry.

Old 05-24-2015, 05:14 PM

11,034 posts, read 10,177,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartfocus View Post
This is a MENTAL HEALTH FORUM where depressed people will no doubt post. Your post was unsupportive, out of the normal and unexpected, and so I reported you.

I'm sorry if you think that everything has to completely conform, so that you crack down on something that's "unexpected."

I assume that what's really bothering you is someone bluntly saying that you have to apply yourself to work toward bettering your situation, rather that just being consoling about sitting around in the same counter-productive patterns, expecting everything to be done for you. From the sound of the story, I get the impression that there has already been a lot of "support" and it's been no help at all.

Old 05-24-2015, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
Are you in a state that you can get medical marijuana for your maladies? Smoke a joint, write down your thoughts, put some relaxing movies or music...
Except that it's a central nervous system depressant.

Old 05-24-2015, 08:42 PM

That is pharmacologically irrelevant.

Old 05-25-2015, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
That is pharmacologically irrelevant.
How so?

Old 05-25-2015, 08:39 AM

I was just kinda being cheeky with you. I don't drink alcohol anymore because of it's depressant qualities, but just because a substance has an effect on the central nervous system as a doesn't mean it also can't have anti-depressant qualities and other qualities that might mitigate some of someone's symptoms. Granted, I also take a daily antidepressant (citalopram). After thinking about it some more, maybe I shouldn't be going around telling depressed people they should smoke marijuana though, sorry.

Old 05-25-2015, 10:37 PM

413 posts, read 789,948 times
Guanficare has been used with some to help with suicidal thoughts at the local
VA hospital.

So sorry you are hurting and feeling disconnected.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:50 AM

6,432 posts, read 3,252,385 times
heartfocus, I feel for you. I am sorry to heard of your struggles. I too have losses and struggles so I can empathise with you.

I have however been able to improve my state of mind. I am taking an old school medication that helps me sleep and does to some extent help relieve the depression, that being doxepin together with a half tablet of mirtazapine. I would not recommend mirtazapine - it makes one feel old and weak with body aches and pains for nearly a year!

The biggest improvement came when I started on neuro nutrients, those being L-Theanine and L-Tryptophan. Vitamins and minerals seemed to have helped too, most notably omega 3. B12 helps a lot if there is a deficiency which is quite likely if one is depressed. Unfortunately, all these can be a bit costly but for me it's been well worth it. I would now describe myself as being in recovery.

This is not a substitute for medication, its a supplement.

Practising mindfulness can also help. I do it once a week and I get a lift each time. Do a search on it. It only takes a few minutes to do. One aspect is learning to clear the mind of thoughts during the session. According to research, it stimulates new neuron growth.

I wish you all the best and hope you will find peace sooner rather than later.

Kindest regards
303Guy

Last edited by 303Guy; 05-26-2015 at 03:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health