U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 02:34 PM

322 posts, read 697,837 times

Advertisements

I am 60 years old, divorced, in fair health, and have trouble with daily, persistent suicide thoughts even though I see a psychiatrist regularly and call a "Warm Line" every single night to talk to someone about it. (Please don't advise me to call a crisis line; I don't need the cops called on me nor do I need to be hospitalized).

I realized that what is underneath the thoughts is depression, and what is underneath the depression is FEAR. And loneliness. (Please do not advise me to go out and try to find social things because I am isolated and have become extremely self conscious and introverted and being around people is very uncomfortable for me). I do have a few lite friendships but that is all.

I used to have the diagnosis of Bipolar I but they are reconsidering this because I have not been manic in 16 years and my only symptoms now are depression and anxiety and panic attacks.

Has anyone had any luck getting rid of persistent suicide thoughts and if so, how did you do it? I really feel that I have nothing to live for as I gain no pleasure out of life anymore and I have no family - long story but they all abandoned me and are mentally ill themselves. Psychiatry and psychology cannot seem to help me regain any pleasure out of life. I haven't been anywhere fun in 10 years, mostly because I'm broke on disability.

I have gotten an application to get an IHHS worker - an in home supportive helper - but I don't know if my doctor will sign the form because it says I must be in danger of losing my independence and I can still do everything for myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 03:28 PM

11,034 posts, read 10,177,437 times
First of all, of course we're going to advise you to go out and try social things! Do you imagine that a fairy godmother is going to come along and magically make you un-lonely? Sure, it's uncomfortable, but if you're 60 years old, you've presumably learned that a lot of things in life are uncomfortable. Having a job interview makes people uncomfortable, going to the dentist makes people uncomfortable, walking alone into a party makes people feel uncomfortable. So what? You go ahead and be uncomfortable. That's what life is.

It sounds like what you really need is a better therapist who would push you a little.

Meanwhile, there was just an article in the New York Times on a different therapy for suicidal issues. I can't remember who wrote it. See if you can find it online, and I'll see if I can look it up.

Good luck. Stop being so self-pitying.

Old 05-23-2015, 05:59 PM

6,322 posts, read 5,075,588 times
Dear heartfocus,

I am very sorry that you are having to deal with this. From what you wrote, it sounds like fear is keeping you isolated from people and that isolation is causing severely depressed mood which has led to suicidal thoughts.

It sounds to me that it would greatly help for you to a dress the social anxiety with your therapist. Ask about "desensitization" techniques like they do with other phobias. One first step might be attending a therapeutic support group.

I don't think that you are wallowing in pity. I sincerely hope that you feel better soon.

Old 05-23-2015, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post

I don't think that you are wallowing in pity. I sincerely hope that you feel better soon.
Thank you; I'm _trying_ to act practical about this.

I just found out about a NAMI support group that meets every other week. I'm going to go. If I'm with other people who have mental health issues, I won't feel so "weird" and out of place.

Would love to read that article mentioned above. I will look for it. I'm looking for any new techniques that stop suicidal thinking.

Old 05-23-2015, 06:45 PM

12,174 posts, read 9,614,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartfocus View Post
Thank you; I'm _trying_ to act practical about this.

I just found out about a NAMI support group that meets every other week. I'm going to go. If I'm with other people who have mental health issues, I won't feel so "weird" and out of place.

Would love to read that article mentioned above. I will look for it. I'm looking for any new techniques that stop suicidal thinking.
I'm glad to hear hat you are going to a NAMI meeting.

One thing to remember is that there is no magic cure that is just going to stop the thoughts. Fact is we control our thoughts. If an invasive thought comes into our minds, we have to reject that thought and replace with with a more positive, life affirming thought.

Our thoughts are an act of our will. We have to do the work to make our thoughts become what we want them to be.

Old 05-23-2015, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I'm glad to hear hat you are going to a NAMI meeting.

One thing to remember is that there is no magic cure that is just going to stop the thoughts. Fact is we control our thoughts. If an invasive thought comes into our minds, we have to reject that thought and replace with with a more positive, life affirming thought.

Our thoughts are an act of our will. We have to do the work to make our thoughts become what we want them to be.
Yes I know that. It's just that it becomes all consuming and I think it will get worse as I get older and my health gets worse. I might feel better as soon as we pass the California Death With Dignity law so that I won't worry that I will have to die in pain and agony like my mom did.

Old 05-23-2015, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Good luck. Stop being so self-pitying.
This is a MENTAL HEALTH FORUM where depressed people will no doubt post. Your post was unsupportive, out of the normal and unexpected, and so I reported you.

Old 05-23-2015, 08:39 PM

4,182 posts, read 9,562,539 times
Is there any way you could get some regular exercise? I have a friend that gets up and out early for a very long walk every day. He tells me if he didn't, he'd spend the day home doing nothing. Exercise changes the chemicals in the bran which will more than likely contribute to your well being.

Good luck to you .

Old 05-23-2015, 11:12 PM

4,506 posts, read 239,378 times
^^^This.....and have you considered adopting a pet? That's what changed my life. A little bundle of love to come home to.

Old 05-23-2015, 11:44 PM

712 posts, read 1,988,947 times
Quote:
Has anyone had any luck getting rid of persistent suicide thoughts and if so, how did you do it?
yes.. I know how to get rid of thoughts.. it takes practice/awareness/a tool

If you want to know the tool.. I guess, you'll have to ask by pm.. cause it's a bit weird and uhh I don't want to start a debate about weirdness here.

Quote:
I really feel that I have nothing to live for as I gain no pleasure out of life anymore
hmm.. thats weird.. why aren't you dead..? when you really feel that way.. the body will just die.. (and no doubt your thoughts are maybe having a effect on the body.. so dis-ease might be on it's way to being created)

a spiritual teacher of mine says that if your ready to die.. all you have to do is say to the world/yourself/universe..

"I'm done here, I've done everything, yah I'm done" count backwards from 10.. if you don't die.. he says "you have a reason for being here!"

Cause really is that easy to die.. one doesn't need "a method" (or aka I believe the teacher who said that.. but I don't really want to die.. so I've never tested it )

Quote:
Psychiatry and psychology cannot seem to help me regain any pleasure out of life. I haven't been anywhere fun in 10 years, mostly because I'm broke on disability.
I hate to ruin it.. but their foolz.. that's all I have to say..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health