Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 05:08 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,056,484 times

Advertisements

Many stacks or piles all over...I cannot complete a damn thing, unless I place an extreme effort.

Went to the movies last night, the movie was boring (to me) so I felt the seat more, and I squirmed through the movie.

Dear daughter complained I squirm too much at the movies.

been to a nurse practitioner (who specializes in antidepressants et al.) who states it's my anxiety that makes it difficult to focus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 06:22 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
Sure it could be ADD. Or it could be just a generic personality quirk, a fear of success (as opposed to a fear of failure). That would be why you don't finish anything - for some reason only known to your subconscious, you're afraid of what will happen when you're at the very end of a project. For some people that's like being at the end of a long steep hike uphill, and now you're at the cliff and there's no way down but to jump off. So rather than get to that point - you just stop halfway, and find another long steep hill to climb instead.

Not completing projects *can* be like that for some people even if they don't have ADD.

For people who do have ADD, there's a different mindset entirely.

Old 05-30-2015, 09:26 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
Many stacks or piles all over...I cannot complete a damn thing, unless I place an extreme effort.

Went to the movies last night, the movie was boring (to me) so I felt the seat more, and I squirmed through the movie.

Dear daughter complained I squirm too much at the movies.

been to a nurse practitioner (who specializes in antidepressants et al.) who states it's my anxiety that makes it difficult to focus.
Sound like a million other people out there....normal.

Old 05-31-2015, 10:39 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,285,568 times
You may want to see a psychiatrist (these are M.D.'s - Medical Doctors) who can write prescriptions for anxiety or hyperactivity. Some people have tried the hyperactivity drugs and don't like them - no longer take them. Others say it helps them "focus".

Worth a try... You can get a referral from your regular doctor. Or maybe try your county health department. Or the phone directory (search for psychiatrists).

Once they give you a diagnosis, then if ADD, have your family read about it and learn about it. Then they will understand how to interact with you better.

There can also be advantages to some of these things too - like some people are capable of using both hands at the same time or multitasking. But do get the correct diagnosis first, then read about it.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:00 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,394,006 times
I was diagnosed at 6 years old with ADD and hyperactive, never ADHD. Here's a good link.

Adult ADD / ADHD: Signs, Symptoms, Effects, and Treatment

I have found reading books from Wayne Dyer very helpful to avoid procastination for example.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:16 AM

87 posts, read 80,928 times
See a doctor right away...I was also diagnosed with ADD when I was about 4 I was on Ritalin. Stopped taking it since then, and now I'm 38 and went to the doc on Friday. My wife suggested getting medication because I was forgetting tasks, not being able to focus etc. Feeling like something is always "Pushing" me from behind to be active and do things...

I'm now on 10 mg in the morning. What a difference it makes, I can concentrate and focus again. I can't believe I got through all the studying and courses without it...just don't like the cramping stomach and not feeling hungry.

Old 06-02-2015, 04:38 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,056,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
You may want to see a psychiatrist (these are M.D.'s - Medical Doctors) who can write prescriptions for anxiety or hyperactivity. Some people have tried the hyperactivity drugs and don't like them - no longer take them. Others say it helps them "focus".

Worth a try... You can get a referral from your regular doctor. Or maybe try your county health department. Or the phone directory (search for psychiatrists).

Once they give you a diagnosis, then if ADD, have your family read about it and learn about it. Then they will understand how to interact with you better.

There can also be advantages to some of these things too - like some people are capable of using both hands at the same time or multitasking. But do get the correct diagnosis first, then read about it.
Giant shortage of psychiatrists where I am. I am extremely fortunate to get in with a nurse practitioner who specializes in these meds.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:46 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,394,270 times
Please be careful with Adderall - I have several family members who got pretty strung out on it.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:42 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,285,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
Giant shortage of psychiatrists where I am. I am extremely fortunate to get in with a nurse practitioner who specializes in these meds.
Also a "Primary Care Physician" (your regular doctor) can prescribe these drugs. They can also work along with a psychologist or counselor who is not an M.D. (can't prescribe drugs).

Just inform each one about the other and sign medical information release forms (so they can legally communicate with each other about your case).

Sometimes people will initially go to a counselor and their regular doctor (working with the counselor) prescribes/adjusts the medication. Then the person stops seeing the counselor at some point, but the regular doctor continues to handle the drug prescriptions.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:12 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,454,047 times
You probably overtired; stressed out and your adrenals are weak. I'd find a good herbal formula (from whole herbs) for the adrenals; get more rest; cut down on acid forming foods (dairy, meat, grains that aren't sprouted and eaten raw such as anything cooked - pasta and bread, sugar, even starchy legumes). Increase raw organic fruit and vegetables; lemon water. Drink chamomile tea. Try to detox some. Make sure you are moving your bowels daily and you see cloudiness in your urine indicating you are eliminating cellular wastes. Here is Dr. Morse on ADD Raw Figs – Q & A 89 Part 8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health