Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 02:52 PM

102 posts, read 139,184 times

Advertisements

I've had a little bit of a setback this week after a good stretch, so I would like to share some of my most useful affirmations with you, and I would like to hear your as well.

This is a positive thread, by the way! Sometimes this forum makes me feel worse.

Ok, so here are my favorite:

It's just anxiety.
The anxiety won't hurt you. Worrying about the anxiety is what makes you uncomfortable.
I've been there before. I'll be fine.
It's ok to feel anxious.
Anxiety is just like any other emotion. Just acknowledge it.
Sure, anything could happen or is possible, but I'm confident that it won't.

Ok, that's all I got. Let hear yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 04:17 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,595,896 times
I attributed my anxiety to adjusting to a newly adopted dog & my lack of ability to fall asleep & to stay asleep. My anxiety about not sleeping lead me down the path of "What if?" "What if I don't get enough sleep?", "What if I can no longer be a dog owner?", "What if I stay this way (anxiety ridden) for the rest of my life?", etc.

In the "Panic/Anxiety Attacks" thread, there is one tidbit that I consider a real gem. I can't remember which member posted it, or I'd give them credit. They wrote:

Rather than focus on "What if", just say "So what?"

That REALLY helped me to settle my worries.

A friend of mine brought over this children's book about dealing with worrying. It also helped me. There were quite a few lines in this book that really struck a chord with my worry/anxiety.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:33 PM

5,010 posts, read 591,763 times
I frequently suffer from anxiety when out in public. I start to feel very self-conscious and panicky.

Mentally I know these feelings aren't warranted because I do not stand out in a crowd...I blend.

I tell myself: "No allthatglitters, not everyone is staring at you and judging you."

It works

Old 06-11-2015, 12:14 PM

102 posts, read 139,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatglitters View Post
I frequently suffer from anxiety when out in public. I start to feel very self-conscious and panicky.

Mentally I know these feelings aren't warranted because I do not stand out in a crowd...I blend.

I tell myself: "No allthatglitters, not everyone is staring at you and judging you."

It works
There was a boy I grew up with named allthatglitters

Old 06-11-2015, 10:59 PM

162 posts, read 155,586 times
"Anxiety is a lie! A big fat lie!! It's lying to you! You are being lied to."
Snaps me back into reality. I need harsh words.

Old 06-18-2015, 05:22 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
What if is my best friend when I write stories, and my worse enemy when I think about life and my expectations, which vary by recent events. I don't think we can really 'know' until it comes but we can effect the pathway we take.

Thankfully this doesn't happen much now, though when I took meds it did all the time. But I have a script I go through which gets me out of it, and works better without the meds making it harder to connect to the 'inner me'.

I've had several serious disastors in my life which had to be lived thru, day by day, and they taught me that hopeless is only real if you let it be and to be more about the good stuff, small or not, which happened.

I make myself think of TODAY, and now. Right now, is this condition existing which had paniced me? It's not because when something happens which does need attention now, I have this very clear space with no anxiety. Anxiety is about the usually imagined what might happen. So I say okay, its not. But what can I do so it won't? What small thing can I do which will help that not come to be?

Sometimes the anxiety is about real stuff, sometimes not. But the freeze isn't about what it is but that its this huge and scary thing which seems like I have no power over. Find one thing which gives that power back, and I can push it away.

Old 06-18-2015, 05:32 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,950,527 times
"It'll be all right in the end. If it isn't all right, it isn't the end."

"I got over heart surgery. I got over cancer. I'll get over this."

"This time next year, it'll be something else. Shut up and go to sleep."

Any or all of the above.

Old 06-18-2015, 05:47 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,575,697 times
Another thing you can do to get out of it is to stamp your feet REALLY HARD! Keep doing it several times until you feel back in your body again. Some performers do this if they start getting anxious and light headed before going on.

For affirmations, I say things like this: You're fine. You're no different than anyone else. You're just fine. Look at all you've handled so far.

Old 06-18-2015, 05:51 PM

3,352 posts, read 2,823,762 times
I have a magnet on my fridge that says WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?... I Think of that....sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. ..have had anxiety since I was little. .I am 55. .. time to get moving! !!!

Old 06-18-2015, 05:54 PM

3,352 posts, read 2,823,762 times
Very weird. ..but when I get EXTREMELY mad...the anxiety disappears. ..because whatever I am thinking and mad about overtakes my fear...my mom said the same thing...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health