Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 02:28 PM

3,499 posts, read 6,452,388 times

Advertisements

I'm 50 and haven't worked in years because I can't find a job. My money has run out and my parents (who are over 80) have been giving me money so I can pay my large rent. This is embarrassing because of my age and I'm not disabled. I send my resume to people on Craigslist almost every day but I hardly get a response.

Now my parents have started to say they won't give me any more money and I should move in with them. It's partly because of money but they also want me to take care of them. Their health is ok now but will decline. I can't stand to talk with my parents on the phone for two minutes, so I doubt I can live with them. Fortunately they are only six miles away. They have a two-bedroom apartment.

I feel totally stupid that I'm 50 and can't support myself. I may have to beg them in a few months to give me more money so I can keep living in my own place. Also the rent keeps increasing because that is what happens.

I don't want to move in with them but I also hate taking money from them. I also considered finding a cheaper place but conditions would be bad and would be really far away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2017, 04:14 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,587,796 times
Well, it's hard to believe you can't find a job in years. What kind of work did you do when you worked. Swallow your pride and get out of your large rent and why not learn to live with them (parents), understand them and help them out. No one is perfect. They are good enough to give you money.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 05-06-2017 at 04:31 PM..

Old 05-06-2017, 08:17 PM

20,855 posts, read 28,180,725 times
How come you cannot find a job??? I was out of work for 2 years back in 2010, I was depressed and did not want to get out of bed. I applied everywhere and anywhere. I came from an office environment and now for the last 4 years I have been working at Subway Restaurant. I am 46. Are you willing and able to do any job??? Craigslist is the worst place to find a job IMO. Post you resume on Career builder or Zip Recruiter. I don't trust craigslist for Job offers.

Old 05-07-2017, 12:43 PM

26,605 posts, read 26,506,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Craigslist is the worst place to find a job IMO.
I've heard the same thing. Also, what putting in an application at some temporary employment agencies?
You have some good ones in Pasadena, one being AppleOne: https://www.appleone.com/Career_Seekers/

Old 05-07-2017, 02:29 PM

Is Zip Recruiter like Monster? I hated Monster as it took forever to apply and then I got nothing from it.

Old 05-07-2017, 05:14 PM

20,855 posts, read 28,180,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
Is Zip Recruiter like Monster? I hated Monster as it took forever to apply and then I got nothing from it.
It's great!!! They contact you via email when the hiring manager has looked at your resume. They send you daily jobs that fit your description. My husband got 2 interviews out if it. Did not get hired but he was ok with it since he still had a job at the time. He was just looking at other options. How come you haven't worked in a long time???? Are you picky about the jobs you apply for?

Old 05-10-2017, 02:55 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,531,210 times
You sound horribly depressed. You can get a job but it is just easier to keep taking your parents money. Clean yourself up and go apply at McDonalds and Subway, etc. You will get a job.

You need to quit taking money from your parents. NOW.

Every day that you sit in your house dreading tomorrow is just another wasted opportunity to find a job.

Old 05-15-2017, 01:52 PM

My folks just told me that if my money runs out, I will have to move in with them. If I find no jobs, that will be in 2-3 months.

I have stepped up my job search and even applied at McDonald's. I also applied at AppleOne - thanks to the person who mentioned it.

I'm dealing with anxiety about moving and living in a crowded place. I can manage, but there might be times I can't take it any more. One thing's for sure - if I'm sitting or lying around, I feel depressed. If I'm doing things (like throwing away old things), I'm okay.

I tried to comfort myself by reading an article pointing out that my area has the highest rents of the city. More incentive to move.

Old 05-15-2017, 02:17 PM

61,217 posts, read 86,083,221 times
Your elderly parents pay your LARGE rent ($1400)? What about you move into a small apartment in a cheaper area that cost much less?
Also I agree with others - never met a WILLING and LOOKING person who could not find a job in years. How many years?
You are not looking hard enough, get easily discouraged, have no skills whatsoever, have too high expectations, or look in wrong places. Do you have any skills? Resume posted anywhere? Obviously you can use computer - what about a data entry jobs?
From your other threads I can see that you have a car (gas/insurance), cable TV subscription, phone, eat out in restaurants... Are your parents paying for all that too??
Of course living off your aging parents it's the easiest way to go. Are you not ashamed?
Did you applied for disability or unemployment? Food stamps? Registered with workforce? Applied for subsidized housing? Anything?
No? Just staying at home and playing with computer?

BTW: what does it mean: "your money"? Inheritance? Your savings?

Last edited by elnina; 05-15-2017 at 04:51 PM..

Old 05-15-2017, 02:23 PM

348 posts, read 254,266 times
Put your resume on Indeed employment site. That is where we always find employees.

https://www.indeed.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health