Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 09:16 PM

12,626 posts, read 31,909,908 times

Advertisements

What kind of results have you had with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 11:33 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,511,331 times
GABA supplements don't cross the blood brain barrier and thus have no impact on anxiety.

Last edited by west seattle gal; 06-14-2015 at 11:58 AM..

Old 06-14-2015, 08:34 PM

16,061 posts, read 26,641,910 times
It's done nothing for me.

Old 06-15-2015, 01:54 PM

12,626 posts, read 31,909,908 times
Hmm, sounds like other natural remedies.

Old 06-17-2015, 02:45 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,203,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
GABA supplements don't cross the blood brain barrier and thus have no impact on anxiety.
Another perspective:

Natural StressCare: GABA - Natural Valium, or Is It?

(snip)

In conventional medical circles it's thought that GABA will not pass through the blood-brain barrier, and so taking it orally shouldn't have much effect on mood. Nevertheless, many people report that taking GABA has an anti-anxiety action, and at least one study provides evidence that it does.[SIZE=2]2[/SIZE]

It turns out that while GABA doesn't pass through the blood brain barrier ... it can make its way into the peripheral aspects of the CNS (such as the dense connections in the gut.) Also ... the hypothalamus, the emotional neuroendocrine control center of the brain ... is outside of and thus not protected by the blood brain barrier. These two factors could explain the research / practice gap here.

Alternatively, one can take the amino acid theanine instead. Theanine is converted to several useful calming and mood-elevating substances in the brain, including GABA.[SIZE=2]3,4[/SIZE] So one can use theanine as a kind of "bank shot" to get around the blood brain barrier issue with respect to GABA.

(snip)

Old 06-17-2015, 05:41 PM

10,263 posts, read 10,505,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Another perspective:

Natural StressCare: GABA - Natural Valium, or Is It?

(snip)

In conventional medical circles it's thought that GABA will not pass through the blood-brain barrier, and so taking it orally shouldn't have much effect on mood. Nevertheless, many people report that taking GABA has an anti-anxiety action, and at least one study provides evidence that it does.[SIZE=2]2[/SIZE]

It turns out that while GABA doesn't pass through the blood brain barrier ... it can make its way into the peripheral aspects of the CNS (such as the dense connections in the gut.) Also ... the hypothalamus, the emotional neuroendocrine control center of the brain ... is outside of and thus not protected by the blood brain barrier. These two factors could explain the research / practice gap here.

Alternatively, one can take the amino acid theanine instead. Theanine is converted to several useful calming and mood-elevating substances in the brain, including GABA.[SIZE=2]3,4[/SIZE] So one can use theanine as a kind of "bank shot" to get around the blood brain barrier issue with respect to GABA.

(snip)
I've tried GABA and currently have a bottle of theanine (Doctor's Best Suntheanine) and neither have done anything for me

Old 06-17-2015, 05:45 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,730,900 times
I'm taking 5-HTP, which has really helped with my anxiety. The first couple of times that you take it, it can cause diarrhea, but that goes away pretty quickly.

Old 03-16-2018, 08:58 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,568,121 times
Since there is so much discussion about anxiety thought I'd bring up Gaba again. Some can take it and some cannot. I take it just fine and it's part of my sleep combo 500mg every night. Here is a posting from Alt Med group.

//www.city-data.com/forum/alter...ess-helps.html

Maybe even a lower dose than 500mg to start.

Right now a friend is waking up with horrid monster anxiety in the mornings. Trying to talk her into working with Gaba.

Old 03-31-2018, 02:26 PM

506 posts, read 646,709 times
GABA made me feel so weird and awful I threw it out.

Old 03-31-2018, 07:33 PM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,768 posts, read 4,121,684 times
Forget GABA, l-theanine, or any of the supplements touted to help with anxiety or depression. The only way these things will "help" you is if you are very prone to getting the placebo effect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health