Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 02:30 PM

3,497 posts, read 6,446,279 times

Advertisements

Are there ways of treating anorexia today that are more effective than in the 70s or 80s? What are they?

I was just reading biographies of Karen Carpenter who had the problem in the 70s and then passed away in 1983 from heart problems. She saw an expert named Levenkron but then found out he isn't even a real doctor.

She was one of the best singers but people back then didn't know how to treat it or who to see. Is it possible that if Karen had the problem today she could have recovered?

She had a number of problems that may have aggravated it, like stress from touring, a painful relationship with her mother and a lack of a long-term boyfriend. She did get married at one point but it collapsed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2015, 09:02 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,934,361 times
This is a mental health issue...it's not like treating a broken leg or something. Therapy is called for and can take years and years. And, the person with anorexia must WANT to be treated.. and acknowledge that there is a problem. It's very hard to fix this...

Old 07-18-2015, 11:07 AM

9,842 posts, read 7,589,428 times
Dealt with anorexia when I was in high school. Lost 80-100 pounds in 3 month's. Mostly people insulted my weight back then. I still get insulted family insults me a lot. Saying your fat, should you eat that, and you use to look cute when you weren't your weight now.

It is just another layer of depression. Mostly mind over matter.

Old 07-18-2015, 03:13 PM

3,497 posts, read 6,446,279 times
I did some Googling and it looks like there are no meds for anorexia.

It has things in common with OCD. I wonder if it's the same part of the brain.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:01 AM

2,936 posts, read 2,320,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Dealt with anorexia when I was in high school. Lost 80-100 pounds in 3 month's. Mostly people insulted my weight back then. I still get insulted family insults me a lot. Saying your fat, should you eat that, and you use to look cute when you weren't your weight now.

It is just another layer of depression. Mostly mind over matter.
NO! It's not mind over matter. At all. It's a mental illness.

Anorexia and eating disorders in general are incredibly difficult to treat MENTAL ILLNESSES. Eating disorders have the HIGHEST mortality rate of ALL mental health diseases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
I did some Googling and it looks like there are no meds for anorexia.

It has things in common with OCD. I wonder if it's the same part of the brain.
Nope, no meds really. Since the 70-80s eating disorder treatment has come a LONG way. There are now treatment approaches that help. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and Dialectical Behavioral Therapy have been shown to help, greatly. But the patient needs to want to get better.

For adolescents there is a newer form of treatment called the Maudsley Method aka Family Based Treatment. It's been shown to have good results but it's a big commitment from the adolescents family.

I'm not sure what age you're asking about so if it's adolescents I can tell you more about Maudsley if you're interested.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:34 AM

That's how I dealt with it. Just think of something else don't let the negativity get control of me.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
That's how I dealt with it. Just think of something else don't let the negativity get control of me.
I'm glad that worked for you, but that's not how it is, typically, for most people. Especially those who are far into the disorder.

Old 07-20-2015, 11:41 AM

Did almost die out of it ha. Still unsure how loosing 120 pounds in 3 month's affected me. Did EKG found no abnormalities just unusual heart sounds ha.

Old 07-20-2015, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Did almost die out of it ha. Still unsure how loosing 120 pounds in 3 month's affected me. Did EKG found no abnormalities just unusual heart sounds ha.
I'm sorry you went through that, but really happy it had no longterm negative impacts.

I don't mean to come off strong or bitchy, I just work with ED patients for a living and so I'm pretty strong on advocacy and getting the word out.

Old 07-20-2015, 11:55 AM

Work as a psych tech kind of ironic struggle with BP2, anxiety, and clinical depression. At work different outside of work hot mess. Have family members who believe depression is a made up illness and an excuse of life. Dealling with my family who appears to deal with deoression wont admit it. Mom who live with now sees no issue in drinking 30 glasses of wine a week or smoking 2 packs of cigarettes a week. On top of that they criticize my weight not only my weight but everyone in the family how they look their hair if they are ugly how they dress.. they say it is out if love.

Unfortunately mental health care is a field that receives no funding or support it needs. Our state cut funding to hospitals and shut down several mental health facilities. Most counseling services are 3 to 6 month's long. On top of that most insurance companies don't recognize mental illness or co pay's are too expensive for people to keep up with. Same goes for medication. Last time was a year before loosing my job. Cost me $80 a month to visit my Doc twice. On top of that medication was $40 a month two pickups a month. Who has that kind of money to spend.

I mean ED and Psych ED but heads like it is the Fourth of July. ED is inundated with a lot of Psych and Psych Wannabes. I mean you'll get the revolving door patient's, substance patient's, some first timers, and seen a increase with dementia lately. Mostly it's a circle with short staff limited beds can't really keep up with it. Also more patients on state/medicaid/medicare get admitted because gives hospitals more money back. Some hospirals where I work has been good, but you can't readmit the same person within a 30 to 90 day window. Where private insurers cab dictate the decision of the Doctor unfortunately many people I'm need of admittance don't get in. Our state pay's $140 per person within the mental health system. In addition, average inpatient psych can cost you $2K or more.

I apoligize if come off edgey or irritable dealing with stress right now in need of venting.

When I say mind over matter I mean CBT or DBT. Retrain your brain in response to the behavior. Find ways to separate your mind from the sitiation. Find ways of self empowerment of your self esteem. I am a huge advocate of positive psychology and imagery. Like to encourage deep awakening of self recognize their emotions, focus on good and bad, focus on their inner strength, using a Buddhist technique work with turning negative thoughts into a peaceful image.

Worked with adolescents before on psych. Over the three year's came across maybe 2 of the female gender struggling with anorexia and both also were bulimic.

The interesting thing is correlation to parents income and anorexia. See a lot more self esteem issues and struggling with expectations with female's from a family with a large wealthy influence.

Also be interesting to see males with anorexia. I only know myself a lot of thst was due to fat shaming in high school and by my family.

Last edited by RunD1987; 07-20-2015 at 12:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health