U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2015, 01:30 AM

18 posts, read 14,258 times

Advertisements

Just curious, any heavy drinkers that went from maybe lets say getting very drunk 2-4 times a week for a period of several years and turned to moderation? I used to be quite a heavy drinker for a couple of years after college. Never drank every day but was getting kind of crazy drunk about 3 nights a week for a period of 3-4 years while I just worked part time. I have only had no more than 2 drinks in the past 2 months just Friday and Saturday nights. Hopefully I don't ever get drunk like I used to. I used to black out, get mad at people, send crazy drunk texts, ect. Still feel a lot of regret for what I did! Anybody else in the same boat? Hopefully I never go back to where I was!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2015, 08:46 AM

4,761 posts, read 11,828,065 times
I drank less heavy stuff as I got older...

Drank anything and everything put in front of me in my 20's. (Young and dumb.)
Cut out shots in my 30's.
Only drank mild drinks and slowly in my 40's, then late 40's stopped drinking entirely.

I used to say I was too old to drink shots or older and smart enough not to!

Old 07-26-2015, 08:38 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,091,160 times
I can drink moderate but only if I buy in moderation. So I can never have a liquor cabinet or wine cellar at home.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:22 AM

4,196 posts, read 5,497,397 times
Well, l I have some bad news for you.

Blacking out and binge drinking 2 - 4 times a week is a sign of alcoholism..
Now granted that you are only having 2 drinks a weekend (total of 4).. It most likely will not keep up that way.
You will most likely some day have a mental obsession to consume more to get blackout drunk again..
I will warn you that the disease of alcoholism is progressive, meaning you will pick up where you left off but worse..

I'm not going to preach, or tell you what you need to do or should do, you must know you may have a problem or you would not have asked the question on an internet forum..

I do have one suggestion.. go to a bar, please have arranged a ride home..
Try it once, twice, three times.. do some controlled drinking..
If you can not, seek some help before you get worse..

For the sake of yourself, your family, your friends...

Please believe me as I went down this road for 20+ years of my life..
You may be one of the lucky few that can drink and have no negative effects in his life..
Or you may as in my case need to lose everything near and dear to you before you see..

Luckily, I am sober today and have been for a few 24 hours..
I am one drink away from going back.. it's not a good place out there..

Old 07-27-2015, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
Well, l I have some bad news for you.

Blacking out and binge drinking 2 - 4 times a week is a sign of alcoholism..
Now granted that you are only having 2 drinks a weekend (total of 4).. It most likely will not keep up that way.
You will most likely some day have a mental obsession to consume more to get blackout drunk again..
I will warn you that the disease of alcoholism is progressive, meaning you will pick up where you left off but worse..

I'm not going to preach, or tell you what you need to do or should do, you must know you may have a problem or you would not have asked the question on an internet forum..

I do have one suggestion.. go to a bar, please have arranged a ride home..
Try it once, twice, three times.. do some controlled drinking..
If you can not, seek some help before you get worse..

For the sake of yourself, your family, your friends...

Please believe me as I went down this road for 20+ years of my life..
You may be one of the lucky few that can drink and have no negative effects in his life..
Or you may as in my case need to lose everything near and dear to you before you see..

Luckily, I am sober today and have been for a few 24 hours..
I am one drink away from going back.. it's not a good place out there..

Yes!! Hopefully this doesn't happen but I worry it will sometimes! We will just have to see and hope it doesn't! The arrangements help for the ride home!

Old 07-27-2015, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post

Drank anything and everything put in front of me in my 20's. (Young and dumb.)
Cut out shots in my 30's.
Only drank mild drinks and slowly in my 40's, then late 40's stopped drinking entirely.

I used to say I was too old to drink shots or older and smart enough not to!

Ya, getting rid of those shots for me now!!

Old 07-28-2015, 09:41 AM

4,761 posts, read 11,828,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathman1982 View Post
Ya, getting rid of those shots for me now!!
Other people used to buy me shots... I would say NO multiple times and they would say I shouldn't let it go to waste or whatever. I would say they should have asked me before buying it. And that they should give it to someone else.

I would NOT drink any shots period! (The next morning I would feel SO much better!)

Old 08-01-2015, 01:51 PM

6,432 posts, read 3,252,385 times
Quote:
Same here. I cut out wine and spirits because they were too strong. Then I switched to lite beer so I would have less effect. Now that took some getting used to! But now I shun normal strength beer. I'm happy with just the light buzz and can sip a beer all day long and never get drunk. Even so, I do try to limit my intake, meaning I have fewer beers than I would really like to. My limit is supposed to be four a day. I would switch to very low alcohol beer if they weren't so damned expensive! I'm concerned about my liver health, not alcoholism. That's just me at my age and my doctor agrees. Your mileage may differ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or