Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2015, 05:56 PM

9,842 posts, read 7,576,679 times

Advertisements

Hi, I seen both the insurance company wouldn't cover the Psychologist, paying $80 every 2 week's was too much. Then went to a Psychiatrist. However, even with insurance was $40 a visit averaged $80-$120 a month. Plus refilled my medication twice a month cost $40 a month. I stopped going after knew lay off was coming. Being on unemployment and only working part time can't afford a Psych Doc. Wondering how much you trust your PCP? I did go to a PCP who recommended a therapist once never went. Just took the medication he gave me, which was Lexapro. Not a fan of Lexapro. Haven't seen my PCP in over 2 year's in need of an annual physical.

Really like to see a psych doc since having phantom panic attacks, random mood changes, and thoughts of not wanting to wake up in the morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 09:24 AM

4,899 posts, read 3,529,230 times
Your psych copay's are determined by your insurance provider... have you gotten a new job since your layoff?

if you need to be on meds, your only option as I see it is a Psychiatrist or a PCP.

I used to see a social worker, but they aren't allowed to write prescriptions.

After reading your post, I would start with a NEW PCP, or maybe try and find a DO. After I did some reading about DO's online, I found out they take more of a holistic approach to treatment of their patients. Look into it. Good luck.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:12 AM

9,842 posts, read 7,576,679 times
Have a new job part time, but co pay for psych is still the same think maybe a bit more about sound $50 with new insurance. Wonder if a DO be covered by insurance.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:26 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,529,230 times
DO and PCP both are medical school graduates. Do some Googling on what's different about them. I moved to a new state a few months ago and couldn't find a Doctor in my area that is accepting new patients. I was given a DO as an option and even though I've only had 1 appointment so far, I was very impressed with the time spent with me at my initial appointment (about 1/2 an hour!), mostly just talking about my past, etc.

Old 07-31-2015, 06:19 PM

1,134 posts, read 1,116,955 times
Call your local mental health office. They can probably refer you to someone that works on an income based sliding scale for counseling.

Old 09-01-2015, 04:17 PM

1,227 posts, read 2,057,121 times
This is my 5th psychiatrist. My former one recommended I consult with a psychologist. Well i applied for a free one but then they directed me to a meditation class, ugh. I might consult with one now that I have insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health