Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2015, 02:27 PM

1 posts, read 709 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know the federal laws or California laws regarding being able to keep an adult child on their parents' medical insurance beyond age 26 due to being diagnosed with a serious mental health issue before age 18?

When my son was first diagnosed with major depression, then subsequently Bipolar II in a support group I was told that if the diagnosis was made before age 18, that the adult child could still receive coverage under his parent's insurance coverage indefinitely. I believe it was related to the Mental Health Parity Law, where certain serious mental health diagnosis had to be treated just like a serious illness such as cancer, and if that diagnosis came before age 18, they could not be "kicked" of their parents plan even if they were beyond the "normal" age where they would normally no longer be allowed to be on the plan.

When I first started researching this, I was able to find some info, but not lately. Where should I look? I have tried NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) but was unsuccessful with getting any feedback on my first and only attempt.

I am kind of stunned that this information "seems" to not be easy to find. Your suggestions/leads would be much appreciated since my son will soon turn 26 and is still not self-reliant, and if he is not able to get his prescriptions, he will be even less likely to become self-reliant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 09:46 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,052,594 times
I am not familiar with California medical coverage, but found this for you to research http://www.bazelon.org/LinkClick.asp...I%3D&tabid=218

Keep all of your sons' medical records dating back to his adolescent treatment in case he requires it for medicaid in the future. This will also make him eligible for Social Security Survivor Benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health