U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 09:56 PM

2,937 posts, read 1,898,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Borderline Personality

In this regard, a number of authors have referred to a relationship between BPD and somatic symptoms. In a group psychotherapy setting, Schreter observed a relationship between chronic somatic symptoms and borderline characteristics.
Again, BPD is not connected to the immune system. Does it cause physical changes within the body? Yes. But that has nothing to do with the immune system. It's usually in reference to the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous system which is what controls your fight or flight response. Which then causes all sorts of problems if you're constantly in fight or flight.

Quote:
That wouldn't help anyone else.

This sort of stuff is also helpful for therapists themselves.

Its one of the reasons they record me and go over it.
Not when it's coming from a stranger on the Internet who could be making everything up. This isn't personal it's just a fact about posting on the Internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 09:54 AM

17,261 posts, read 14,223,996 times
Quote:
I would like to ask people to leave the less than helpful or empathetic commentary behind.
You do realize you are one of the meanest and most blunt poster on other people's threads?

Old 10-29-2015, 01:42 PM

6,805 posts, read 3,845,039 times
Start a blog and turn the comments off if you don't want comments on your writings.

Old 10-30-2015, 05:11 AM

1,622 posts, read 1,421,190 times
My counselor has suggested writing things down as well, but, this is different than droning on in a public forum. Announcing that others should not say anything when you have chosen just such a venue designed for commentary is yet again a request for drama, drama and all about me. Hopefully you can raise this with you counselor or consider switching to a better one.

Old 10-31-2015, 05:14 PM

6,319 posts, read 6,067,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
You do realize you are one of the meanest and most blunt poster on other people's threads?
No, I don't.

In fact I would like to see where I've been "mean".

Also, this is a Mental Health thread. Specifically, MY mental health journey.

It's meant to be a way of reaching out to other people who may be going through my particular hell.

Old 10-31-2015, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinemon View Post
Well, I believe BPD and many other PDs are just various forms of codependency, which all ultimately arise from low innate self-worth? So, BPDs will subconsciously repeatedly draw themselves into dysfunctional codependent relationships (whether at work, home, etc). Many of these will fit into the classic Karpman Drama Triangle - where a perpetual Victim will continue to seek out Persecutors (Bullies) - and Rescuers - wherever she goes...

Of course, cindersslipper is really only seeking Enablers (not "Rescuers") as evidenced by her continual game of dodgeball with counselors...and Persecutors to intentionally perpetuate her Victim status - which may give her the only false sense of self-worth she has (gets hurt for secondary gain of attention and sympathy)?Anyhow, I would be very interested in how she eventually manages to truly heal from this disorder?
Where did you get that from?

Thank you for posting that triangle btw. I will look further into that as it absolutely seems to fit.

Old 11-01-2015, 08:03 PM

18,267 posts, read 16,805,525 times
Quote:
Well, I believe BPD and many other PDs are just various forms of codependency, which all ultimately arise from low innate self-worth? So, BPDs will subconsciously repeatedly draw themselves into dysfunctional codependent relationships (whether at work, home, etc). Many of these will fit into the classic Karpman Drama Triangle - where a perpetual Victim will continue to seek out Persecutors (Bullies) - and Rescuers - wherever she goes...
When you quote something from a pop psychology blog, realize that it's just someone's opinion, e.g. in the source you quoted, from an article in Psychology Today, (https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...pain-disorders), the author is Licensed Care Social Worker, and she's giving her opinion about what she has seen in her own practice.

Personality Disorders--Borderline Personality Disorder being one--are recognized by the American Psychiatric Association as resulting from early childhood experiences of deep trauma, and are in fact a long enduring pattern of behavior that is a way of coping with the world as a result of those early experiences. http://www.dsm5.org/Documents/Person...ct%20Sheet.pdf

Old 11-02-2015, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
When you quote something from a pop psychology blog, realize that it's just someone's opinion, e.g. in the source you quoted, from an article in Psychology Today, (https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...pain-disorders), the author is Licensed Care Social Worker, and she's giving her opinion about what she has seen in her own practice.

Personality Disorders--Borderline Personality Disorder being one--are recognized by the American Psychiatric Association as resulting from early childhood experiences of deep trauma, and are in fact a long enduring pattern of behavior that is a way of coping with the world as a result of those early experiences. http://www.dsm5.org/Documents/Person...ct%20Sheet.pdf

Thank you.

Some folk seem to think its my fault I grew up like this.

Its not, it was Done To Me.

Part of my recovery is grieving for that little abused baby I was.

My abusers THRIVE while I barely cope. These people get about like plaster saints, all highly successful. Possibly a strong sociopathic streak inherited or at least modelled by my maternal parent.

Old 11-02-2015, 12:47 PM

Quote:

Of course, cindersslipper is really only seeking Enablers (not "Rescuers") as evidenced by her continual game of dodgeball with counselors...and Persecutors to intentionally perpetuate her Victim status - which may give her the only false sense of self-worth she has (gets hurt for secondary gain of attention and sympathy)?Anyhow, I would be very interested in how she eventually manages to truly heal from this disorder?
She is me, and I'm still here.

I looked into your Drama Triangle and it doesn't fit me at all. At least, not any more, probably not since I got divorced.

Reason being - to engage in a Drama Triangle there has to be another player.

I isolate myself entirely.

I don't HAVE another player. I have people in my life I catch up with when I'm well. When I'm not well, like right now, I'm at home with the cat.

This is part of my problem, my entire life has collapsed and with it, my identity, which apparently was based on my career.

My healing, or more accurately, remission, will likely be based on the resurrection of career somehow, but I also need to develop an identity, something abused babies are never allowed to do.

From the outside in, I looked successful.

I still do. My lawyer just told me my presentation is too good to win a large payout.

Which is leading me ironically, to yet ANOTHER psychiatrist, at the end of this week. This guy is very highly qualified and works with the govt and courts too as an Independent Assessor.

If I'm more than 30% disabled I get a bunch more cash.

I present as Not Disabled At All. Its only once you get asking the right questions that the skewey thinking is revealed.

At least now I KNOW its skewed thinking I suppose - Step 1~!

Anyway I don't care about the compo, well I do, because it will help me rebuild my life. But its the admission by my employer that they abused me that im after, and my lawyer has already told me they consider themselves at risk, so I have a case.

My main focus is rebuilding my Life. At this point I rarely leave the house even. My Therapist believes Im in extreme crisis even though I get about looking and behaving just like a regular person.

For some reason mornings are the worst.

I don't sleep very well, haven't for 4 years, and when I wake up Im an emotional mess.

I cry every single morning then steady as the sun rises. Its bizarre, disabling, and a truly awful way to start the day.

Old 11-02-2015, 09:21 PM

137 posts, read 114,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Ok, sure. But, that doesn't mean she's wrong, nor right.

However, she is not alone in drawing a correlation there...
Quote:
A Borderline waif is often hypochondriacal. Illness and ailments are usually the direct result of years of unresolved emotional trauma, which cannot help but manifest in the physical body. They've learned that people generally respond with sympathy to victims, whether their unfortunate plight is due to health or financial setbacks. You'll feel guilty if you don't do whatever you can to help this person, even if it's finding them lodgings, a job, food for their kid or dog to eat, paying for their car repairs, etc. What you don't get, is that the list never ends! You're never off the hook for bailing them out of one drama or another, and even when they swear "this is the last time," they'll still turn to you for help the next time there's a need. A sucker is born every day--and the brutal reality is, if you won't come to her rescue, the next 'hero' she bumps into, will. Borderlines are extremely resourceful, and there's always someone around who'll pick up the pieces of their pitiful life. Problem is, he'll be used and discarded, precisely as you have been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health