Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 08:42 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times

Advertisements

For a long time I have heard what sounds like voices. In the night time when it is very quiet I can hear what sounds like voices talking very, very low. I cannot usually make out much of what is "said", other than a word here or a word there. Nothing that really makes sense. It sounds just like when you have the television going on in another room and you can hear it, but not quite loud enough to understand what is being said.

I hear them if I listen. Over the years I have learned to blot them out so I do not pay any attention to it. But if I think about it and listen carefully, I can hear it. Sometimes I cannot "turn it off" so I will put on a fan, or a white noise machine and that drowns the voices out.

They are always mens voices, by the way (never female). Just now, I went to the bathroom and I could hear them.

Just for the record. It is NOT a tv or forgotten radio left on. There is nothing on. And there are no neighbors close enough for me to hear their TV or radio.

So, do you think I am crazy? Sometimes I wonder what they are and where they are coming from.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 08:45 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,552,733 times
Are you on any meds? I've heard that happen w/ painkillers before.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottasay View Post
No. No painkillers. Once in a while an aspirin, but no prescription things. I have been doing a lot of physical work lately - I thought it might be a side-effect of endorphins, but it happens when I am a couch potato too, so that can't be it.

20yrsinBranson

Old 05-14-2010, 08:50 PM

442 posts, read 965,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottasay View Post
In that same line of thinking, I had that problem after stopping some meds they put me on after my back surgery, they told me to stop taking them and what you described happened to me. I should have been weaned off slowly.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:12 PM

427 posts, read 550,121 times
Lots of possibilities here. You could have DID-Dissociative Identity Disorder. You may want to speak to a Psychotherapist.

People who hear voices are often doing so because they're dealing with a mental illness that has developed over the years. Again, different possibilities. Hope you find your answer/solution.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:18 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,001,935 times
Do you only hear them at home?

Old 05-14-2010, 09:22 PM

494 posts, read 890,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
For a long time I have heard what sounds like voices. In the night time when it is very quiet I can hear what sounds like voices talking very, very low. I cannot usually make out much of what is "said", other than a word here or a word there. Nothing that really makes sense. It sounds just like when you have the television going on in another room and you can hear it, but not quite loud enough to understand what is being said.

So, do you think I am crazy? Sometimes I wonder what they are and where they are coming from.

20yrsinBranson
Honestly, yeah. Hearing voices is not normal. Get it checked out.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:25 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,780,592 times
You are probably crazy.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
Do you only hear them at home?
Yes, because it is the only place quiet enough to hear them. I have heard them at my mother's house too. So I guess the answer is actually NO. I think that I have heard them other places too, but just assumed they were someone's television or radio. I have heard them at my mom's house too.

20yrsinBranson

Old 05-14-2010, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa "Hillbilly" Steve View Post
Lots of possibilities here. You could have DID-Dissociative Identity Disorder. You may want to speak to a Psychotherapist.

People who hear voices are often doing so because they're dealing with a mental illness that has developed over the years. Again, different possibilities. Hope you find your answer/solution.
Perhaps. But honestly, isn't everyone just a bit mentally ill? I mean, do you really and truly know *anyone* who isn't a tad, crazy. Seriously?

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health