U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-23-2015, 10:41 PM
ERH
 
Location: Raleigh-Durham, NC
1,276 posts, read 1,795,603 times
Reputation: 2439

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostoneunturned View Post
I understand not everyone feels medication has a necessary place in mental health management, but generally, it has given me motivation and energy I otherwise could not begin to conjure up. I am not sure if you have ever personally experienced a mental health disorder, but I do not believe this anyone's place to judge. My doctor and I have been tweaking depression and anxiety management for over a decade now. I am experiencing extreme stress due to juggling a heavy course load, work (albeit part time, but whenever I am not in class I am at work), and single parenthood. Ordinary anxieties to some, perhaps. But since we are not all wired the same please do not make the assumption I should be able to function independently of medication.
Well said, OP. Is your PCP prescribing, or do you see a psychiatrist? My PCP managed my prescriptions for depression and anxiety for about 7 years, until I reached the point where my symptoms were no longer controlled by the highest-tier drug she was willing to dispense. When my life went off the rails in 2010, she referred me to a psychiatrist, who switched me to a different med. When all is good, I see them 2X/year for evaluation and prescription refills. I also see a MSW for talk therapy sessions that run somewhere between 2X/week to 1X/month, depending on where I am and what I'm battling.

Wherever you are at this moment, I am thinking of you and sending you love, light, and prayers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-23-2015, 10:53 PM
 
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
6,423 posts, read 3,248,569 times
Reputation: 3147
Quote:
Originally Posted by nostoneunturned View Post

I don't have time to see a therapist. I take Wellbutrin for depression but it makes me antsy. My dr. prescribed Xanax which I WISH I COULD TAKE ALL THE TIME but of course I can't. I ;ve been exercising more, cutting out sugar. Trying to be healthy. I just feel like I am going to break any day now. I can't believe this job thing is taking so long!! I don't get my ex. I am concerned for my child. I hate college and am JUST SO BURNT OUT. I can't deal. Please...any words of wisdom welcome for my peace of mind.
Cut out coffee too (if that hasn't already been suggested). I can tell you what has worked for me and that is L-Theanine for anxiety and 5-HTP for depression. Both those are amino acid supplements and they do work. Some brands may be better than others but any quality product will work. The more the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2015, 08:39 AM
 
4,287 posts, read 3,147,307 times
Reputation: 9564
Quote:
Originally Posted by nostoneunturned View Post
You are an anonymous person on the internet, but what you are saying means so much to me, and is a soothing balm on my worn-to-bits soul, right now. I am getting teary from your kind words and goodness to a complete stranger. Thank you, deeply. May good karma be with you.
I'm just glad I could help some. Hopefully today is a better day. Please let us know about the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2015, 11:26 AM
 
Location: 1000 miles from nowhere
549 posts, read 464,523 times
Reputation: 976
I finally called today, I did not get the position. It's pretty upsetting but at least my anxiety is alleviated, you know? I feel like I am in shutting down mode emotionally. There will be others, I can find a new dream. I am blessed with my beautiful child. Life continues regardless. Thanks all for your feedback and thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2015, 01:28 PM
 
4,287 posts, read 3,147,307 times
Reputation: 9564
UGH, sorry to hear that but as you said, at least you know. Something better will turn up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2015, 03:49 PM
 
Location: 1000 miles from nowhere
549 posts, read 464,523 times
Reputation: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
UGH, sorry to hear that but as you said, at least you know. Something better will turn up.
Thank you I already feel better, I've found some humor in the situation (like they recommended I fill out a new application online, for the job I just interviewed for. Um..What??). Also I don't feel I'd want to work for a company that can't be banged to send a polite rejection email, especially for interviewees. It takes all of 20 seconds. The lack of communication isn't my bag. Mostly, I am glad I'm over the hump of wonder, and my anxiety has disappeared now. That was the worst, now I can focus on family and back on school. Other opportunities are out there, I'll be watching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2015, 06:25 PM
 
Location: MID ATLANTIC
8,021 posts, read 19,629,056 times
Reputation: 9042
Quote:
Originally Posted by nostoneunturned View Post
Thank you I already feel better, I've found some humor in the situation (like they recommended I fill out a new application online, for the job I just interviewed for. Um..What??). Also I don't feel I'd want to work for a company that can't be banged to send a polite rejection email, especially for interviewees. It takes all of 20 seconds. The lack of communication isn't my bag. Mostly, I am glad I'm over the hump of wonder, and my anxiety has disappeared now. That was the worst, now I can focus on family and back on school. Other opportunities are out there, I'll be watching.
Yeah, pretty low class move. Their HR department is a direct reflection of the company, so its probably a rude place to work.

My heart grows so heavy every time I hear of a young adult suffering with depression. I've had it off and on for most of my life, but only a couple times where the sheer terror of what comes next just cuts through your core. I've been on Wellbutrin for 10 years (and quit smoking 9 years ago - it was prescribed for mood, not to quit smoking). So while I understand what you are feeling, I haven't had to deal with the sustained effects of depression. I've known the source, dealt with the source and it would go away.

The greatest mood lifter for me was to change the way I look at things. I picked up a little book written by Wayne Dyer (RIP Wayne) that changed my life, The Power of Intention. It's one of those things you can just take one or two suggestions, you don't have to radically up-end your life and follow everything, but one or two little things can be life altering.

I challenge you to do this for 48 hours: paste a smile on, use staples or safety pins to hold it if you have to (j/k). Own the smile, whether you feel it or not....but you need to make it as genuine as possible. Step two: be as nice as you possibly can to anyone and everyone that crosses your path, and you can't stay home all day. When someone talks to you, really listen. Talk to the clerk that rings up your sale, let someone have the parking place, everything. Two days, just two days, give it everything you can. Report back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2015, 08:41 PM
 
Location: 1000 miles from nowhere
549 posts, read 464,523 times
Reputation: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
Yeah, pretty low class move. Their HR department is a direct reflection of the company, so its probably a rude place to work.

My heart grows so heavy every time I hear of a young adult suffering with depression. I've had it off and on for most of my life, but only a couple times where the sheer terror of what comes next just cuts through your core. I've been on Wellbutrin for 10 years (and quit smoking 9 years ago - it was prescribed for mood, not to quit smoking). So while I understand what you are feeling, I haven't had to deal with the sustained effects of depression. I've known the source, dealt with the source and it would go away.

The greatest mood lifter for me was to change the way I look at things. I picked up a little book written by Wayne Dyer (RIP Wayne) that changed my life, The Power of Intention. It's one of those things you can just take one or two suggestions, you don't have to radically up-end your life and follow everything, but one or two little things can be life altering.

I challenge you to do this for 48 hours: paste a smile on, use staples or safety pins to hold it if you have to (j/k). Own the smile, whether you feel it or not....but you need to make it as genuine as possible. Step two: be as nice as you possibly can to anyone and everyone that crosses your path, and you can't stay home all day. When someone talks to you, really listen. Talk to the clerk that rings up your sale, let someone have the parking place, everything. Two days, just two days, give it everything you can. Report back.
I tell you what: I will give this a try, because it actually sounds like something i could do that would truly work! I really appreciate your response. I will put into action your suggestion and let you know
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2015, 10:42 PM
 
999 posts, read 1,482,858 times
Reputation: 1662
Wellbutrin is thought to be a stimulating antidepressant. If it's not working for you ask to try something else. If your doctor agrees, do not go out and buy the first and/or second month's prescription, always ask for samples until you know it is going to work for you, say after about 8 weeks or so. Docs have plenty of samples and if they don't have the one that you need in the closet they can easily call the pharmaceutical rep to get some. Do not buy new meds. You might take them for a week and know that you cannot tolerate the side effects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2015, 10:23 AM
 
11,035 posts, read 10,171,349 times
Reputation: 14277
Quote:
Originally Posted by nostoneunturned View Post
1. I was holding on to hope that things could work out, since certain circumstances for him recently changed (that were issues previously). BUT- still true. This situation is creating more stress.
2. I am taking classes that are required for my program. They are not directly related to my major, but rather part of a "core" package that all students in the particular college must take. I have two semesters left.
3. Also true.

I understand not everyone feels medication has a necessary place in mental health management, but generally, it has given me motivation and energy I otherwise could not begin to conjure up. I am not sure if you have ever personally experienced a mental health disorder, but I do not believe this anyone's place to judge. My doctor and I have been tweaking depression and anxiety management for over a decade now. I am experiencing extreme stress due to juggling a heavy course load, work (albeit part time, but whenever I am not in class I am at work), and single parenthood. Ordinary anxieties to some, perhaps. But since we are not all wired the same please do not make the assumption I should be able to function independently of medication.

Anyway, I do appreciate your input. I am aware of the potential risks associated with Wellbutrin. As stated previously, I am also aware I can not "dope up" on anti-anxiety meds or anything else. I am making an effort to live my life healthfully and stay active. However, I do feel I am bending to the pressures, particularly waiting to hear about the life-changing job situation. Yes, it may not happen. I would just like to know, either way. I just want to be able to focus on the important things and not live in a constant state of anxiety and wonder.
To me, this may be your biggest problem and mistake of all: Claiming that you have a "mental disorder."

Stop thinking of yourself as a victim. You are having a perfectly normal, perfectly natural reaction to stress that is partly of your own making.

I wish you the best of luck with your hopes for your job, but if you have had these problems for years, it seems to me all the more reason to get therapy to help you re-evaluate and re-structure your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top