U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 05:11 PM
ERH

1,276 posts, read 1,796,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
To me, this may be your biggest problem and mistake of all: Claiming that you have a "mental disorder."

Stop thinking of yourself as a victim. You are having a perfectly normal, perfectly natural reaction to stress that is partly of your own making.

I wish you the best of luck with your hopes for your job, but if you have had these problems for years, it seems to me all the more reason to get therapy to help you re-evaluate and re-structure your life.

I wish you could understand what it's like to be busy living your average life and be completely BLINDSIDED by a freight train you didn't see coming -- no warning bells, no flashing lights, no gates descending, NOTHING.

One day you wake up and don't feel like getting out of bed, so you beg off on whatever activities you had planned and opt instead to sleep in. It's Saturday, after all, the end of a long, busy week, so maybe you're a little sleep-deprived and need to catch up. You figure you'll wake up in the afternoon and be right as rain, but it turns out you don't wake up until after dark. Well, hell, you think to yourself, might as well stay in bed 'til morning and start the day off fully rested.

Morning comes and you're groggy, hung over from too much sleep, and you have a terrific headache. You might get up, have a little breakfast and an Advil, and think the fogginess will lift, but it doesn't. You're upright, going through the motions, but you feel like crap and really just want to crawl back into bed. Lather, rinse, repeat...maybe call off sick Monday...or maybe you go in, but you're SO TIRED. You're convinced you're coming down with something, but the days pass and nothing changes. Even walking to the bathroom or brushing your teeth takes every ounce of your energy, so how in the world are you going to make it down those stairs without falling to your death?

Days pass, weeks pass, maybe even MONTHS pass, and nothing is better. In fact, it's worse. Your friends are peeved that you never go out with them anymore, and when you do, you're a wet blanket with no energy to paste on a smile and pretend that everything is all right.

Your family is pissed off because you said something you shouldn't, or you took something personally that was meant to be a joke, or you ended up screaming at your brother for no good reason, and now everyone is wondering what the heck has your underwear in a bunch.

Work has become a disaster -- you're procrastinating, missing deadlines, doing sloppy work, missing important details -- and your boss thinks you're a complete idiot. Maybe you get written up, your first-ever performance write-up in a 15-year career. You blame it on the boss, on your co-worker, on the delivery guy, whatever...whoever. You're angry, ready to quit, ready to toss everything you'd ever worked for just to get out from under this boss's THUMB, and you don't understand why your boss has suddenly turned into such a heartless chucklehead and can't cut you some slack.

Meanwhile, all you want to do is SLEEP -- shut it all out, make it go away, even just for a few hours.

BLINDSIDED. We didn't ask for this, and we certainly never desired to be labeled with a "mental disorder," as you put it. Yes, we recognize that some people take great delight in claiming mental health issues in order to get some kind of attention or as an excuse for criminal behavior, but MOST OF US are genuinely, honest-to-goodness, regular people whose lives have been turned upside down. Some days we are victims, some days we are gladiators. Instead of assuming, judging, and breaking us down, simply click on another thread and comment elsewhere. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 11:03 AM
ERH

If you suffer from depression or anxiety, or if you struggle with addiction recovery, you should acquaint yourself with Glennon Doyle Melton. I am a longtime follower, and her blog post today really resonated: Momastery

Sending good thoughts to you all...

Old 10-01-2015, 11:09 AM

657 posts, read 330,789 times
I recommend this book:
"HIJACKED by your BRAIN" by Julian Ford and Jon Wortmann.
See some of my threads in the psychology section.

Old 10-06-2015, 06:51 PM

549 posts, read 464,783 times
Hey ERH - I couldn't rep you right away..had to spread the love first BUT today, I did. Thank you very much for your support and understanding. For all of us.. ((Hugs))

Old 10-08-2015, 09:03 PM
ERH

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostoneunturned View Post
Hey ERH - I couldn't rep you right away..had to spread the love first BUT today, I did. Thank you very much for your support and understanding. For all of us.. ((Hugs))
You're welcome, friend. I'm fortunate to be "up" for now, but I know the "down" is ahead of me somewhere. Gotta carpe diem while the carping is good.

Old 10-09-2015, 08:21 PM

151 posts, read 123,035 times
Alcohol or an understanding friend are the best cures for anxiety I have found. That being said, what do I know? Crippling anxiety has ruined my life and still continues to. I'm an anxious mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or