U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-15-2015, 11:06 AM
 
Location: Salem, OR
102 posts, read 114,394 times
Reputation: 89

Advertisements

This happened to me in March. It was after a move across the country, and I had a real hard time adjusting. I had a lot of things going on, and ultimately, I don't think it was a great fit for me anyway.

Anyways, it is a little embarrassing. It was just a job, and not a career, but I feel the need to fib a little bit on job applications about that position. I usually leave it off. I have since gone back to school, and I am now looking in a different industry that fits my personality better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-15-2015, 05:16 PM
 
3,431 posts, read 3,357,874 times
Reputation: 4159
I've not been fired, but I had some issues with this. Some jobs are pretty easy to lose if you have any illness at all. Even with a better job, employers need to know that any health matter, when it interferes with your work, that you're taking steps to address it and treat the problem.

Getting medication for this could help a lot. And counselling, like actual psychologist sessions. Some people are just born with a more sensitive personality, things like physiology or brain chemistry can be a factor.

It depends upon how severe your symptoms are too. Do you have panic attacks? Do you avoid people? Do you have episodes of being afraid to leave the house? Maybe PTSD? Talking to a doctor and getting counselling can sort this out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2015, 03:55 PM
 
3,657 posts, read 6,573,077 times
Reputation: 5537
I feel like I'm on the verge of this right now. It's only a part time
Mom job 12-16 hours a week. I left today after a massive attack.
I didn't know if I was going to pass out or throw up. I also left last week . I've had a resurgence after 6 family deaths in the past 11 months. I can't shake the anxiety it seems. I take Xanax but sometimes they hit literally out of nowhere, no warning. I'm fine one second and I'm very much not the next. You're not alone on this issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2015, 08:01 PM
 
3,431 posts, read 3,357,874 times
Reputation: 4159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
I feel like I'm on the verge of this right now. It's only a part time
Mom job 12-16 hours a week. I left today after a massive attack.
I didn't know if I was going to pass out or throw up. I also left last week . I've had a resurgence after 6 family deaths in the past 11 months. I can't shake the anxiety it seems. I take Xanax but sometimes they hit literally out of nowhere, no warning. I'm fine one second and I'm very much not the next. You're not alone on this issue.
I don't understand how Xanax works, I've never used it. From what I gather, it seems to basically be a sedative?

I've only ever taken SSRIs, then a series of mood stabilizers to get one that (a) worked, and (b) had fewest side effects. Those prescriptions all worked, but symptoms would come back whenever I was off the medication. Symptoms came back worse each time. Eventually ended up on the mood stabilizer. Pdoc says I will be taking medication for the rest of my life.

I should add, the medication does work. They can put you on stuff that will numb the crap out of you. I don't have anxiety issues at this point. If I'm numb now, I'm happy with it. Panic attacks and chronic anxiety are hell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2015, 09:40 PM
 
Location: OHIO
2,511 posts, read 1,300,738 times
Reputation: 5797
I have panic and anxiety attacks at work. Never lost a job, but I feel like i could. Sometimes I have to just step back and lucky me my boss is understanding.
I do better now that I have xanax, but I try to only take it at work (it doenst make me sleepy, just makes me feel normal)
I usually have panic attacks at night and end up working on no sleep or feeling sick. I sadly have called off from it before :/
Panic attacks are the WORST.
But this is a job not my career as well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2015, 12:30 PM
 
3,431 posts, read 3,357,874 times
Reputation: 4159
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
I have panic and anxiety attacks at work. Never lost a job, but I feel like i could. Sometimes I have to just step back and lucky me my boss is understanding.
I do better now that I have xanax, but I try to only take it at work (it doenst make me sleepy, just makes me feel normal)
I usually have panic attacks at night and end up working on no sleep or feeling sick. I sadly have called off from it before :/
Panic attacks are the WORST.
But this is a job not my career as well
It doesn't sound to me like the xanax is working very well. You should discuss the nighttime panic attacks with your doctor. Maybe a different dose is needed, or even a different medication.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2015, 06:26 PM
 
Location: OHIO
2,511 posts, read 1,300,738 times
Reputation: 5797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
It doesn't sound to me like the xanax is working very well. You should discuss the nighttime panic attacks with your doctor. Maybe a different dose is needed, or even a different medication.
The xanax works great, but I just take it as needed. And I try not to always take it. If i have a panic attack at home, I will try to ride it out. I don't like that I even have xanax..so I try to avoid taking it unless it's truly necessary.
I am on buspar right now for anxiety. The buspar seems helps with the every day anxiety, but I still have the panic attacks. We are working on it, hopefully something works and I can get rid of the xanax completely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:08 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top