U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 11:18 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,701,385 times

Advertisements

My wife and I had to put our cat to sleep about three weeks ago. I am mostly over it at this point, but my wife is still very upset. Since that day, my wife has been depressed, but is getting better.

However, my primary concern is her eating. She has only been eating small things and has lost over 10lbs in three weeks. She is a little overweight, but is almost at her healthy weight for her height and age.

Yesterday, she only ate a slice of pizza and drank some apple juice (maybe 500 calories max). Her diet has been fairly similar to this since the vet visit. I've been forcing her to eat something, but she always claims "I'm not hungry."

At this rate, she will continue to lose weight.

How should I handle this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2015, 04:00 PM

664 posts, read 803,040 times
As a animal lover myself I understand her depression. Get her involved doing things you know she likes even if her response is "I don't feel like it", tell her well I do feel like it. Get her out of the house, take in a good movie or a play, anything to get her mind off it. Basically she will have to get herself out of her depression when she gets thoroughly tired of being depressed. Btw you could always surprise her with a kitten something new for her to direct her love to. Good luck & don't be too upset she'll eventually come around.

Old 10-22-2015, 05:08 PM

4,506 posts, read 239,378 times
She is grieving.

It's a tremendous loss.

Her emotions are all over the place and her heart is hurting.

There's no way to go around the pain, she has to go through it.

Unfortunately it has manifested itself physically causing a total lack of appetite.

Discuss with her the possibility of adopting another sweet, little kitty but only when she's ready.

You could also gently suggest to her to go see her doctor if the depression doesn't lift in what you consider a reasonable amount of time.

Old 10-22-2015, 05:58 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,701,385 times
Thanks guys for your support.

She was very close to her cat, so I understand her devastation. We still have another cat, but he's really mine (although she loves him too).

I'm just very concerned about her diet. Today she has only had a handful of grapes, a few bites of a turkey sandwich, and some sweet tea. Maybe 400 calories? I'm sure her lack of eating is also making her feel like crap.

Old 10-25-2015, 05:57 AM

18,280 posts, read 16,822,756 times
Many people feel terrible loss after the death of pet. I know that I have.
//www.city-data.com/forum/cats/...cope-loss.html

Old 11-04-2015, 02:06 PM

15 posts, read 63,631 times
Even if she's not eating much, try to pay attention to what she's eating so that she's getting proper nutrition even if it's a small amount, maybe try to get her to eat higher calorie foods, but healthy fats and whatnot.
Take a look at this article, particularly the section "Maintaining a Healthy Diet for Depression"
Depression's Effect on Your Appetite - Major Depression Resource Center - Everyday Health

This is a random idea, but do you cook at all? Maybe if you try to prepare a dinner she might find it nice and be more compelled to eat it, or at least force herself to eat more to please you. I know that's a little "shady" but it might be for the best. Getting her used to eating more will help make it a continual thing.

Depression can be long lasting, and grieving the loss of a pet you are close to can be devastating. It will get better over time. There are stages of grief and mourning and she will have to take her time getting through them.

I hope your wife feels better soon and will be able to enjoy food again so she can be healthy and your concerns will be relieved.

Old 11-04-2015, 02:13 PM

602 posts, read 594,702 times
Sorry to hear about you and your wife's loss. Totally breaks my heart, since I went through something very similar a year ago - I lost my best friend (yes a cat). Sometimes a person just needs time to grieve. It's great that you are supportive and care about your wife. Keep doing so, I'm sure she appreciates it, but may find it hard to express her gratitude now.

Old 11-04-2015, 02:24 PM

10 posts, read 8,194 times
While she is emotionally depressed bowel motility may also be slowed, so solid food may simply "sit on her stomach"(gastroparesis). An easily digested liquid supplement may be useful during this time until her appetite picks up, giving her needed nutrition while not straining her digestion. Ensure Plus, Boost plus, Scandishake etc. When preparing solid food, consider small high caloric tasty nibbles, presented often.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:55 AM

13,081 posts, read 16,289,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Thanks guys for your support.

She was very close to her cat, so I understand her devastation. We still have another cat, but he's really mine (although she loves him too).

I'm just very concerned about her diet. Today she has only had a handful of grapes, a few bites of a turkey sandwich, and some sweet tea. Maybe 400 calories? I'm sure her lack of eating is also making her feel like crap.
I wouldn't be too concerned about her diet lepoisson.....it's possible the cats death set her off on a coaster of weight loss she's been contemplating for awhile...("she's a little overweight").
It's quite amazing how little food the body actually requires.
She may see her weight loss as the only good thing that's come from the cats death, and now that she's on that coaster she might want to stay on until she's feeling real good/satisfied about the way she looks.
I'd wait awhile before I really started becoming concerned.
It's hard to lose an animal we really loved and cared for....sorry

Old 11-13-2015, 11:57 AM

6,318 posts, read 5,141,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I wouldn't be too concerned about her diet lepoisson.....it's possible the cats death set her off on a coaster of weight loss she's been contemplating for awhile...("she's a little overweight").
It's quite amazing how little food the body actually requires.
She may see her weight loss as the only good thing that's come from the cats death, and now that she's on that coaster she might want to stay on until she's feeling real good/satisfied about the way she looks.
I'd wait awhile before I really started becoming concerned.
It's hard to lose an animal we really loved and cared for....sorry
^^^^ I agree with this 100% Let her eat as little as she wants; actually if she's a bit overweight she'll feel happier if she loses a few lbs. She's not going to starve.

How about a nice cheese plate and a bottle of wine tonight?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or