U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2015, 02:37 PM

275 posts, read 267,769 times

Advertisements

What do you do during sessions?

I am getting help from one, but 90% of the time we are just reading from a guide that teaches different techniques on how to control anxiety. I do suffer from anxiety, but it's not the issue I am more concerned with. She asks me if there is anything I want to talk about, and if I have nothing then we will just read from the guide. The guide also comes with homework where I am suppose to track my anxiety.

I'm not good at talking about my feelings so it's hard from me to willingly think about issues I've had in the past and she doesn't ask me about my past. Pretty much things that are in the present even though my issues stem from my past.

Is this how therapy works?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 06:06 PM

3,431 posts, read 3,355,376 times
There are different types of therapy. It sounds like your therapist is using "cognitive behaviour change" therapy techniques. The therapist is treating your anxiety by having you think about the immediate causes of your anxiety, the sorts of things that trigger it or aggravate it. Then by examining your thought process and how you react to anxiety, the therapist will help you learn techniques to control your reactions more consciously. I guess I'd describe it as learning to consciously control your reactions.

I tried that out, and it didn't work for me (brain chemistry was my underlying issue, I need specific medications). Cognitive behavioural therapy works quite effectively for many people, though, apparently.

There are some types of therapists who would have completely different techniques. It isn't necessarily about digging into your childhood, etc. Some might do that, some won't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or